The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) RD Depth

Rate this topic

Bure_Pavel

The Canucks have lots of forward and LD depth for next year, but are you satisfied with the RD depth going into this season:

Myers

Tanev

Stetcher

Beiga 

Rafferty

After the top 3 we have Beiga and Rafferty on the right side. Are you conformable with Beiga playing 30 games in a bottom pairing role? There is a high chance at least one of our RD goes down with injury at some point this season. There is even a chance Tanev is traded, although I can see him walking in free agency. Cap space is very limited and we might have to wait until the Boeser signing but would you like to see the Canucks add another bottom pairing RD via trade, waivers, or signing? Any chance we can acquire another Luke Schenn type player? Some players like Benn can play their offside as well do we just go that route and keep status quo? 

***For reference over 10 Dmen last year played at least 15 games for the Canucks. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm hoping we don't have to rely on Beiga this year. Benn and Hughes can also play the right side, so they have some options.

I would prefer to keep Hughes on the left side, but I did hear Benn is good on the right side. 

3 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I'm not really concerned.  I thought Biega showed well enough to be a solid 7th.  Benn can play the right side if needed (I believe) and Tryamkin next year can play both sides as well.

I still don't believe we have enough scoring talent from the blueline, but I don't think depth is a problem.

He is a good depth guy but he played over 40 games in both of the last two seasons. I think when Juolevi arrives scoring from the back end might not be a huge issues as we will have 4 dmen who can provide solid offense. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:
Woo are you? (Woo are you? Woo, woo, woo, woo?)
(Woo are you? Woo, woo, woo, woo?)
I said (Woo are you? Woo, woo, woo, woo?)
I really wanna know (Woo are you? Woo, woo, woo, woo?)

[significant credit is owed to the creativity of The Who for this post]

I would give him another 1.5 years of development no need to rush him. 

There’s a possibility that Tryamkin comes back after his KHL season ends. It’s not set in stone, but that would mean another LHD who can play either side is here to stay. That means Stetcher can be our #7 guy come playoffs. 

22 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The Canucks have lots of forward and LD depth for next year, but are you satisfied with the RD depth going into this season:

Myers

Tanev

Stetcher

Beiga 

Rafferty

After the top 3 we have Beiga and Rafferty on the right side. Are you conformable with Beiga playing 30 games in a bottom pairing role? There is a high chance at least one of our RD goes down with injury at some point this season. There is even a chance Tanev is traded, although I can see him walking in free agency. Cap space is very limited and we might have to wait until the Boeser signing but would you like to see the Canucks add another bottom pairing RD via trade, waivers, or signing? Any chance we can acquire another Luke Schenn type player? Some players like Benn can play their offside as well do we just go that route and keep status quo? 

I'd say that chance is in the 99 percentile.

tumblr_n7lmk9V1fH1tov5cyo3_500.gif

I do agree with what I believe to be the gist of your thread. Biega being the 7th defenseman will be called upon at some point in the season for duty. While he's filled in admirably in the past, I do hope that other options are available.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He is a good depth guy but he played over 40 games in both of the last two seasons. I think when Juolevi arrives scoring from the back end might not be a huge issues as we will have 4 dmen who can provide solid offense. 

While I agree he is best as depth, I felt he did very well in his stints - especially this past season. I wouldn't be completely upset to see him play 20-30 games as Tanev goes down.

As for OJ, it remains to be seen.  I have never seem him as a big time scorer, but who knows. Thing is, even if he ends up getting some points I would still prefer two bonifide scorers in our blueline - particularly for the PP.

42 minutes ago, kloubek said:

While I agree he is best as depth, I felt he did very well in his stints - especially this past season. I wouldn't be completely upset to see him play 20-30 games as Tanev goes down.

As for OJ, it remains to be seen.  I have never seem him as a big time scorer, but who knows. Thing is, even if he ends up getting some points I would still prefer two bonifide scorers in our blueline - particularly for the PP.

For OJ if he is able to make quick outlet passes to Petey he will probably rack up some points. His passing is still his biggest strength. 

• Upvote 1

I think we have a decent RD right now. Yeah our depth on the right isn't amazing I would agree, but Benn can play both sides and we have a lot of prospects that can hopefully start making an impact over the next 1-3 years. Biega is a solid #7 to fill in and while I don't wanna dump as many games on him as last year, his work ethic and hustle is excellent. 

If we trade Tanev though (or a big injury to him) that is a big hole that would need to be addressed if we are trying to stay competitive. 

43 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

I like Biega and feel that only him, Horvat and perhaps Petey give full effort every game.  I don't see a need to rush him out the door anytime soon - he's an acceptable player on a reasonable (relative to others) contract.

I feel the same way, I felt Gaunce was also like that when he did play. 

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Myers

Tanev

Stetcher

Beiga 

Rafferty

Benn is as comfortable on the right side as the left.   You also forgot Chatfield and Woo with Chatfield being easily as likely to play meaningful minutes soon than Beiga.   

Canucks are actually as deep on the right side as they have been in a long time and decent in compare to many teams across the league.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Benn is as comfortable on the right side as the left.   You also forgot Chatfield and Woo with Chatfield being easily as likely to play meaningful minutes soon than Beiga.   

Canucks are actually as deep on the right side as they have been in a long time and decent in compare to many teams across the league.

Neither Chatfield or Woo are not ready yet for the NHL, both need at least another year.