The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Trade) Lucic + Conditional 3rd to Calgary for Neal

Pears

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think both Beagle and Sutter are really good for us this season.  

I think if they're healthy it almost goes without saying - but if they're not - it's damn good to have two of them.    With neither of those two around (which is what would have been the case last year if Benning had not signed Beagle) - then you're left with Horvat as the principal hard minutes unit, a pair of rookies centering lines, and an additional line that is a hodge-podge thrown together to reduce harm = nothing favourable about that for the likes of EP or Gaudette - at all.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

All true.  However if a Tanev plus Jake package gets us Risto, I’d hope JB would do that.  Then the dollars balance.  

No I wouldn't do that deal.  Rather keep Jake on our 3rd line and then integrate the younger D like Tryamkin, Woo and Juolevi.  We don't need Risto at all right now, we got Myers for free so he's our top 4 right handed Dman that we needed.  We still have Tanev for this year who will play fewer minutes and once his contract is up like I said we have a few young guys who can take his place.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No I wouldn't do that deal.  Rather keep Jake on our 3rd line and then integrate the younger D like Tryamkin, Woo and Juolevi.  We don't need Risto at all right now, we got Myers for free so he's our top 4 right handed Dman that we needed.  We still have Tanev for this year who will play fewer minutes and once his contract is up like I said we have a few young guys who can take his place.

Okay.  That makes good sense.  

45 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I can evaluate a player with my eyes in a way that you will never be able to, that's why you rely on these silly analytics in which you don't even dive deep enough in to.  You've already looked bad trying to defend the likes of Schaller, Gudbranson, Nylander, Eriksson using analytics.  It's not working, bud.

You're using goal differential with a 20 game sample size as evidence but you're defending Ristos 400+ game sample size(half of which are against non playoff caliber teams). Hell you can even look at his Liga stats and his AHL stats. -28 in 92 Liga games   -2 in 34 AHL games.  He has been a negative player in literally every pro season he has played.  

And for that much, I am thankful.

Curious - is your plus/minus Liga analyticz part of your 'eye test'?  Or the analytical equivalent of?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Well, was just trying to pump their tires a bit, but not much to work with.  Coulda said, "lost Rattie", too...

I still think they are better off. I see Neal putting up 30 goals with McDavid. The guy has consistently put up 25+ goals his ENTIRE career on various teams. I truly think last year was an anomaly after 2 straight extensive playoff runs. Would bet big money he has a big bounce back year.

4 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

I still think they are better off. I see Neal putting up 30 goals with McDavid. The guy has consistently put up 25+ goals his ENTIRE career on various teams. I truly think last year was an anomaly after 2 straight extensive playoff runs. Would bet big money he has a big bounce back year.

He will have a chip on his shoulder for sure. Nobody was more disappointed with his season than he was. I think that his best place might be with Draisaitl as I can't see him keeping up with connor on the rush. 

On 7/21/2019 at 6:51 AM, khay said:

Calgary is going to make the playoffs with or without Neal.

They are one team I could seem having a rough start and having that build uncertainty and then missing out entirely.   They have talent but Gio isn't going to have the same year again and goaltending is a real question mark.   I would not be shocked to see Flames take a significant step back.

• Upvote 2

On 7/22/2019 at 4:51 PM, The 5th Line said:

I can evaluate a player with my eyes in a way that you will never be able to, that's why you rely on these silly analytics in which you don't even dive deep enough in to.  You've already looked bad trying to defend the likes of Schaller, Gudbranson, Nylander, Eriksson using analytics.  It's not working, bud.

You're using goal differential with a 20 game sample size as evidence but you're defending Ristos 400+ game sample size(half of which are against non playoff caliber teams). Hell you can even look at his Liga stats and his AHL stats. -28 in 92 Liga games   -2 in 34 AHL games.  He has been a negative player in literally every pro season he has played.  

Can you teach me this magic you speak of?

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Can you teach me this magic you speak of?

Like this?  You’ll need a mirror to practice.  Once you have it learned you’ll be able to spot a Benning mistake from your patent’s basement.  The caveat is you need to be in your underwear. 

8F34B8B9-6CBA-4500-AF50-F91A2030DC37.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Like this?  You’ll need a mirror to practice.  Once you have it learned you’ll be able to spot a Benning mistake from your patent’s basement.  The caveat is you need to be in your underwear. 

8F34B8B9-6CBA-4500-AF50-F91A2030DC37.gif

Her left eye is hypnotizing. 

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

They are one team I could seem having a rough start and having that build uncertainty and then missing out entirely.   They have talent but Gio isn't going to have the same year again and goaltending is a real question mark.   I would not be shocked to see Flames take a significant step back.

Last year was an overachieve year if I’ve ever seen one. They had multiple players perform way above their heads then got lit up by Colorado in the playoffs. They’ll regress 100%. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/22/2019 at 6:06 PM, RRypien37 said:

Hard to say.  For one, Neal doesn't (can't) play the way McDavid does... in fact, few of the Oilers do.  Despite moving Lucic they're not really doing much to address team speed; then again in their cap situation there's not much they can do.  According to Flames fans, Neal looked "done" last year, which seems rather remarkable considering his career consistency.  Then again, Eriksson was similarly consistent and had just come off a 30-goal season, but I think most agree that Neal's more likely to regain form than Lucic which is part of why they paid more.

2 hours ago, spur1 said:

It has been fun reading Calgarypuck this week. They have been arguing over who won the Neal-Lucic trade. 

I think they both lost. I also think that Calgary will regress this season. 

I agree, It was a lose-lose situation but there is a small chance one of those guys finds their game. 

4 hours ago, spur1 said:

It has been fun reading Calgarypuck this week. They have been arguing over who won the Neal-Lucic trade. 

I think they both lost. I also think that Calgary will regress this season. 

I think the loss for Calgary will be longer term - with that NMC intact - I guess Calgary doesn't value their young depth that much?

Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund, Lindholm - all obviously in another class than Lucic - with term - to be protected.

Lucic makes 5 forwards.

Tkachuk = 6.

Leaving:

Bennett

Jankowski

Mangiapane

Dube

Someone with Calgary-think will have to explain this to me - why the hell would you take the risk of exposing 3 of those young forwards - in favour of Lucic? 

Still can't make sense of what the hell they were thinking.   I'd take Neal in a heartbeat - if for no other reason than this.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I think the loss for Calgary will be longer term - with that NMC intact - I guess Calgary doesn't value their young depth that much?

Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund, Lindholm - all obviously in another class than Lucic - with term - to be protected.

Lucic makes 5 forwards.

Tkachuk = 6.

Leaving:

Bennett

Jankowski

Mangiapane

Dube

Someone with Calgary-think will have to explain this to me - why the hell would you take the risk of exposing 3 of those young forwards - in favour of Lucic? 

Still can't make sense of what the hell they were thinking.   I'd take Neal in a heartbeat - if for no other reason than this.

There has to a wink-nudge agreement in place for him to waive for the expansion draft. If not, their GM is a moron.