The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Trade) Lucic + Conditional 3rd to Calgary for Neal

Pears

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Edmonton is gaining by far. Neal's buyout if it comes to that is pretty good, drops to only 1.9 mil in salary (https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/james-neal#results). And no clauses to boot. 

Man Calgary management must really dislike Neal. 

That's just one element. So many variables to guys that are overpaid, that can contribute in different ways, etc. Last year I think Lucic was more effective in his role than Neal was in his own role. Basically they are trading different types of cluster&^@#s. Hence my original comment.

1 hour ago, ninja321 said:

Yikes, with just one bad season for Neal I feel like he has a much better chance than Lucic to have a rebound season. Edmonton wins in this trade for me.

Edmonton gets rid of Lucic and clears 250k of cap space. Clear win for them.

There’s no room on our roster for Lucic, Neal or Loui.  

I’d rather have Motte in, Gaudette on call up and Roussel come in off the IR mid season.  

At at this point, seems like we can live with Loui’s 6 on the books.  Bury him, loan him or keep him in the press box and try to sell the contract in his last year when we need the room for Petey and Quinn.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Interesting take from an Oilers blogger (although I bet he was actually drinking champagne as he was writing this): 

Oilers blogger Alan Hull @alanhull
From CGY’s perspective…if they get salary retention from EDM and a pick, they’ve got the cap space and depth to eat Lucic’s deal for 1 yr.
In 12 months his contract will appeal to a team like OTT b/c of the cap hit being far more than the $.
They’re probably all free in a yr.
If Neal bombs in EDM they likely buy him out and are paying him for 6 years.
Could totally work out to CGY’s advantage if they play it right.

And:

Oilers fans should be hoping for a second coming of McDavid and Neal from the 2018 all-star game. They were fun to watch together.

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

You're right, he's an extremely effective player.

If he was making 2M-3M a year, then yes he’s an effective player for his contract.

Instead of reading forums and twitter comments on how slow and useless Lucic is.......you should read articles with actually substance.

https://oilersnation.com/2019/07/06/milan-lucic-2018-19-edmonton-oilers-season-in-review/

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, shiznak said:

If he was making 2M-3M a year, then yes he’s an effective player for his contract.

Instead of reading forums and twitter comments on how slow and useless Lucic is.......you should read articles with actually substance.

https://oilersnation.com/2019/07/06/milan-lucic-2018-19-edmonton-oilers-season-in-review/

Oh yeah, HIS CORSI! :lol:

For $2-3mil Eriksson is also an effective player for his contract.

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Depends.  Lucic’s Agent might write an addendum to the contract allowing this one trade, but the full NMC carries on.  The Flames would have to sign it, or there would be no trade.  Likely Looch wants out of Edmonton so much, he will waive his clauses, and walk to Calgary.  

at least the hitman

are in the same city

he can play with the ahlers

and socialize with the nhlers

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Huh?

How so?  Don't be silly.  :picard:

Edit: unless JB trades Loui to Calgary for Lucic at 50%.  I would actually do that deal. Get rid of the 6m cap hit the next 3 years. Take on a 3m cap hit for 4 years for Lucic who could play a 3rd line role - 3m for a 3rd liner is fine. 

I knew you'd come around 

• Haha 4