The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Eyes NHL Return

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I sincerely think a lot of off the ice decisions made by Gillis helped this team reach its peak.  Gillis while a rookie GM did a lot of interesting new things in regards to NHL management and team sustainability, player health.

There is a good fit for him in an NHL office so long as he doesn't have to be to involved in the on ice aspect.

I agree. A lot of his organizational stuff was seen as nutty, then interesting, then revolutionary to the point of other teams taking pieces of it as their own. I think it was easy to overlook those things based on some of the train wreck moves he made in the hockey areas at times. I always thought he was a better as an executive than he was as a GM.

I think a lot of what he says in this article is interesting.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

As usual though, just mentioning Gillis will incite irrational hate comments.

Its funny because he was so untouchable at points in his tenure. You wouldn't even be able to criticize him on CDC without getting mobbed lol. 

• Upvote 3

He did some good things while here. His ability to recycle and keep integrating new talent was suspect. But that 2010/11 team was nutty. If Erhoff didn’t go cup chasing in Buffalo who knows how many playoff runs we could have had. I wonder whatever became of his medical research stuff. Didn’t he implement some stuff in that regard? 

I don't have it out for the guy but I think he's lionized more than he deserves to be for his time here.

The 'cap genius' of his management chained us down for years for no tangible benefit, because he apparently wanted to blow the team up after 2012. Leading us to fans telling us that his cap management was great because other teams did it (leaving out the fact that LA and Chicago signed massive contracts while/after winning the cup) or that we need to blow it up after winning back to back President's Trophies which no other team has done. Imagine if Tampa won the President's Trophy again and then blew it all up after faltering in the playoffs. That doesn't happen. San Jose didn't blow it up and made the finals, Washington didn't blow it up and eventually won the cup. There is no reason to buy into the idea that it was time to quit on the best core we ever had.

I don't think the guy has a bad mind for the sport and he has an interesting perspective on things but I feel he would do better in the CHL or AHL moreso than the NHL.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Winter Soldier said:

I don't have it out for the guy but I think he's lionized more than he deserves to be for his time here.

The 'cap genius' of his management chained us down for years for no tangible benefit, because he apparently wanted to blow the team up after 2012. Leading us to fans telling us that his cap management was great because other teams did it (leaving out the fact that LA and Chicago signed massive contracts while/after winning the cup) or that we need to blow it up after winning back to back President's Trophies which no other team has done. Imagine if Tampa won the President's Trophy again and then blew it all up after faltering in the playoffs. That doesn't happen. San Jose didn't blow it up and made the finals, Washington didn't blow it up and eventually won the cup. There is no reason to buy into the idea that it was time to quit on the best core we ever had.

I don't think the guy has a bad mind for the sport and he has an interesting perspective on things but I feel he would do better in the CHL or AHL moreso than the NHL.

Ummm... Really? 1 playoff win in 2 years, followed by a spectacular implosion under Torts. It was pretty clear they were done.

Any hope of sustaining a successful team for longer was undone by bad luck and bad scouting. The organization's crown jewel prospect died, and the next top-10 pick had an undetected chronic disease that manifested itself in injury trouble before he played a game. Two of their promising 2nd round selections were also undone by injuries, one from getting hit by a car as a pedestrian.

On top of all of that, the scouting turned out to be substandard. So no one was coming to keep the ball rolling.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I think the Canucks could use some inspiration when it comes to the organization off the ice. That's what Gillis brought when he was GM here.

I'm looking at a player development department that probably has failed their mission to develop players within the organization and with the Utica Comets. Other teams are ahead of the Canucks when it comes to this and it could sure use an update and a few new hirings. Expand the amount of coaches and roles. We are lucky that we could afford things like that and gain an advantage over other teams in the NHL. 

28 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Ummm... Really? 1 playoff win in 2 years, followed by a spectacular implosion under Torts. It was pretty clear they were done.

Any hope of sustaining a successful team for longer was undone by bad luck and bad scouting. The organization's crown jewel prospect died, and the next top-10 pick had an undetected chronic disease that manifested itself in injury trouble before he played a game. Two of their promising 2nd round selections were also undone by injuries, one from getting hit by a car as a pedestrian.

On top of all of that, the scouting turned out to be substandard. So no one was coming to keep the ball rolling.

I agree that one of the biggest mistakes made was NOT starting to move sone of the core vets for younger players. 

The Canucks have had some bad luck with prospects along with terrible drafting for many years and sketchy development of prospects two. That was like 3 strikes you are out and Gillis should have been able to accumulate some assets for vets. 

Ironically, had the Canucks done that, they easily could have had a very quick turnaround to keep the window open a bit longer. 

5 hours ago, Toews said:

Its funny because he was so untouchable at points in his tenure. You wouldn't even be able to criticize him on CDC without getting mobbed lol. 

He’s still untouchable even to this day on twitter. Trust me, I’ve been in some Gillis debates and it gets pretty nasty. 

4 hours ago, Silver Ghost said:

I agree that one of the biggest mistakes made was NOT starting to move sone of the core vets for younger players. 

The Canucks have had some bad luck with prospects along with terrible drafting for many years and sketchy development of prospects two. That was like 3 strikes you are out and Gillis should have been able to accumulate some assets for vets. 

Ironically, had the Canucks done that, they easily could have had a very quick turnaround to keep the window open a bit longer. 

Isn't he on the record saying that ownership was the main reason they didn't rebuild earlier?