The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Canucks’ best play right now would be to move Adam Gaudette for a young defenseman in a similar predicament to Adam Gaudette

19 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

I think Gaudette is a legitimate “cant miss” prospect. He does, however, appear to be stuck in the Canucks system behind Pettersson and Horvat and the probably immovable contracts of Sutter and Beagle.

I’m not sure how the Islanders are stacked up for Centres but I would do a Gaudette for Noah Dobson deal. I would even include Chris Tanev as a sweetener.

I’d do Gaudette for Dobson in a heartbeat but I think the Islanders would decline.  I think something more realistic would be Gaudette for Bode Wilde or Devon Toews (I think I’d strongly consider a Bode Wilde deal).

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

So if we trade Gaudette for another yound D prospect how do you know that player will project to a top 4 Dman as well?  

We wouldn’t know unfortunately.

The only thing that we do know is that our deepest and most powerful organizational strength is at center, while our weakest (shallowest) position remains on defense.....and more specifically, the right side.    I love Gaudette and love his potential, but that’s also one of the biggest reasons why other teams might covet him as well.    If there is a team out there that lacks prospect centers but has an abundance of prospect defensemen, then I think the Canucks and that team would be a good match.  

2 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

We wouldn’t know unfortunately.

The only thing that we do know is that our deepest and most powerful organizational strength is at center, while our weakest (shallowest) position remains on defense.....and more specifically, the right side.    I love Gaudette and love his potential, but that’s also one of the biggest reasons why other teams might covet him as well.    If there is a team out there that lacks prospect centers but has an abundance of prospect defensemen, then I think the Canucks and that team would be a good match.  

There is no guarantee that Gaudette will be a legit NHL'er.  Also, there is no guarantee the Dman we trade him for will be a legit NHL'er.  So therefore there is no point in making a trade at this point.  We have lots of young D.  There is no guarantee they will make the big club let alone be a top 4 guy.  That's why we signed Myers and re-signed Edler.  They will take those top 4 spots in the short term until the young guys develop.  Hughes will also be playing big minutes.  He's as much of a guarantee of a top 4Dman than any other player we could trade for.  Jett Woo also looks like the real deal.

You are trying to push a trade that doesn't need to be made at the present time as we don't even know what we have in Gaudette at this point.  We need to see him get a regular shift on the big club over the next year or so to see what we have.  I wouldn't give up on him just yet as it might bite us in the a** in the future.

• Cheers 1

I am genuinely curious to know what type of defenseman the Canucks could get IF they packaged Gaudette AND Madden.   I wonder if that something like that could legitimately land us a Noah Dobson type guy.

Keep in mind, I’m not implying that this would be practical.  I’d definitely be interested in knowing what this kind of package could fetch though.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

3 hours ago, Jaku said:

Or the Canucks play him add their 3C and let his offensive skills provide some much needed secondary scoring. 

For this to happen Petey and/or Horvat will have to sacrifice their offensive looks cause a 3rd line centered by Gaudette will not be getting 20-30% ozone starts like a Sutter led 3rd line would. There was a reason Gaudette was played primarily on the wing even when we had Sutter/Beagle injuries. He's average to below average defensively and below average in the faceoff dot. That would give us two centers that are 40% in the faceoff dot. One of which is a top 6 player. Gaudette has done nothing to warrant a 3rd line center spot as of right now.

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

For this to happen Petey and/or Horvat will have to sacrifice their offensive looks cause a 3rd line centered by Gaudette will not be getting 20-30% ozone starts like a Sutter led 3rd line would. There was a reason Gaudette was played primarily on the wing even when we had Sutter/Beagle injuries. He's average to below average defensively and below average in the faceoff dot. That would give us two centers that are 40% in the faceoff dot. One of which is a top 6 player. Gaudette has done nothing to warrant a 3rd line center spot as of right now.

Ok fair. Just wondering - who's playing 3C then? Sutter? Beagle? Miller?(better suited for top 6 winger atm). 

So, this is gonna hinge on how I feel things (hopefully) play out with Eriksson.

He's back because no other team wants him, or the cost is too high.  

I say put him in a third line role where he can hopefully bang 15 in.  I thought he looked pretty good with Gaudette and Roussel, too bad he got injured.  So maybe Gaudette and Leivo?  Or Virtanen?  

Ferland EP Boeser

Pearson Bo Miller

Louie Gaudette Leivo

Motte Beagle Virtanen

Goldobin

Maybe hoping for Gaudette is too much.  Might have to put Sutter there in all honesty.  Initially I was against having jake in a fourth line role, but I think it suits where he's at.  Focus on being an effective 2 way player and be a guy the coach can trust in tough situations.  Give him 2nd unit PP time.

Edler Stetcher

Hughes Myers

Benn Tanev

Markstrom

Demko

I can’t believe how this is even coming up right now. We have one major resource we need to sign and that’s Boeser period. Trading Gaudette at this point so early in his career is crazy to say the least and still be polite. 

Why don’t we wait until training camp and see how what we have pans out, or we could possibly look like clowns and Gaudette turns into Neely and we all ended up with egg on our faces. 

I have to wonder sometimes what people are thinking. I’m thankful that some of us aren’t the general manager of the Canucks. 

Getting rid of Sutter right now is bad asset management. Asking Gaudette to hold down a regular 3c role is also bad developing. 

We are better off hoping Sutter returns to form. THEN we can actually maybe get something back if we trade him WHEN Gaudette is ready.