The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WTF Is going on in BC???

MikeBossy

12 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Not anymore. If they get convicted of first degree murder Canada no longer allows them to serve multiple life sentences concurrently. If they were charged with 3 counts of first degree murder and convicted on all charges they would have to serve 75 years before parole eligibility.   

Yes, but it is not automatic that people convicted of multiple murders get consecutive sentences.  The law allows the option of imposing consecutive sentences or increasing the length of parole eligibility.

It is up to the trial judge to determine concurrent/consecutive sentences or length of parole eligibility.   If you get a lenient judge, you may get only 25 years.   I am sure the defense will try the hardest to sway the judge in their decision to get only 25 years.

From Wikipedia:

The above penalties for murder apply when an offender is convicted of a single murder. When an offender is convicted of multiple murders (either first or second-degree murder), the court has the option of imposing consecutive periods of parole ineligibility for each murder.

These provisions of the Criminal Code came into force in December 2011, and permit a trial judge, after considering any jury recommendations, to impose consecutive parole ineligibility periods extending beyond 25 years. In the most extreme cases, this can result in a de facto term of life imprisonment without parole (i.e. a total parole ineligibility period extending beyond the offender's life expectancy)

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/northern-bc-homicides-timeline-of-what-we-know-so-far/ar-AAEKWx0?ocid=ientp

Northern B.C. homicides: Timeline of what we know so far

A double slaying, a pair of missing teens and a dead body in northern B.C. have spurred police investigations and left family members grieving.

Here’s what we know so far about the northern B.C. cases.

Timeline

Monday, July 15 at 7:19 a.m. • Northern Rockies RCMP is called to an area 20 kilometres south of Liard Hot Springs on Alaska Highway 97 for the report of two bodies found.

• A blue 1986 Chevrolet minivan with Alberta plates was also located at the scene.

• The deaths are deemed suspicious and an investigation is launched.

Thursday, July 18 • The two individuals killed are identified : Chynna Noelle Deese, a 24-year-old woman from North Carolina, and Lucas Robertson Fowler, a 23-year-old man from Sydney, Australia. The pair was dating.

Friday, July 19 • Investigators plead for witnesses or dashboard camera footage from the Alaska Highway 97 between Sunday, July 14 at 4 pm. to Monday, July 15 at 8 a.m.

• Police also shared that Fowler’s father is a member of the New South Wales Police Force and that the Fowler family was travelling to Canada , accompanied by Australian police officers for support. FBI was also notified and assisted with contacting Deese’s family in North Carolina.

• Also on July 19, Dease Lake RCMP were called for an unoccupied red and grey Dodge pickup truck with camper on fire south of the Stikine River Bridge on Highway 37.

• A man’s dead body was also found 2 kilometres from the vehicle fire though it was unclear at the time if the two were connected.

Sunday, July 21

• RCMP announce the truck found on fire was being driven by Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, both of Port Alberni.

• The pair was en route to Whitehorse in the Yukon Territory to seek work but had not been in contact with family in recent days.

• They were last seen headed south from the Super A general store in Dease lake around 3:15 p.m. on July 18.

• Police also confirmed the dead body found near the burning vehicle is neither McLeod nor Schmegelsky.

Monday, July 22

• In a news conference, RCMP confirmed that Deese and Fowler died of gunshot wounds.

• Police also confirmed the blue Chevrolet van was owned by Fowler and was being used by the couple to explore northern B.C.

• Investigators also released a sketch of a person of interest who was spotted speaking with Fowler on the evening of July 14.

• The man may be associated with an older model Jeep Cherokee with a black stripe on the hood and a black light/bull bar with small covered lights.

• Police hoped to speak with the man to learn more about Fowler and Deese’s activities prior to their deaths.

• Police also released surveillance footage from a gas station in Fort Nelson where Deese and Fowler stopped on July 13, in hopes anyone who recognized the couple could come forward with more information.

• Police also shared a sketch of the man who was found dead near McLeod and Schmegelsky’s vehicle and asked anyone who recognized the man to contact investigators.

Tuesday, July 23

• In a bombshell development, RCMP revealed Schmegelsky and McLeod were being treated as suspects in the double homicide of Deese and Fowler.

• They are also suspected in the suspicious death of an unidentified man found near their abandoned burning truck.

• The pair is believed to be driving a grey 2011 Toyota RAV-4 and last seen in northern Saskatchewan.

25 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

why would they burn there own truck tho, unless they were kidnapped

Gee, I don't know. Why do gangsters burn the vehicle they use after shooting someone?

Also, they could have been trying to throw the suspicion off of themselves.

Edited by RWMc1

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

Or a surrey schoolyard 

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

We will rehabilitate him in a comfy one bedroom suite with conjugal visits and then set him free.

the doctors will deem him as a non threat “as long as he takes his meds”

and we will pay for the whole thing.

Giys does 3-4 yrs in jail.  

Released on parole

Moves up to north of bc.  

Rumor is it is 2 walmart hicks  from van island 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Yes, but it is not automatic that people convicted of multiple murders get consecutive sentences.  The law allows the option of imposing consecutive sentences or increasing the length of parole eligibility.

It is up to the trial judge to determine concurrent/consecutive sentences or length of parole eligibility.   If you get a lenient judge, you may get only 25 years.   I am sure the defense will try the hardest to sway the judge in their decision to get only 25 years.

From Wikipedia:

How is 25 years considered 'life'? Life in prison should mean you are there until you expire.

3 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

Theres quite a bit of talk around town but i havent heard anything that i would say is concrete, definitely has rocked the town though

It's a shame.  Port Alberni is a nice quiet town.  This news (if true) will be black mark. 

17 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Gee, I don't know. Why do gangsters burn the vehicle they use after shooting someone?

so burning your vehicle and stealing a car driving it in saskachewan is taking suspicion off them sleeves? 

Just now, BPA said:

It's a shame.  Port Alberni is a nice quiet town.  This news (if true) will be black mark. 

Yeah definitely, though we are really being hit hard with crime right now, there is another suspect i believe from texas that may be the real guy, apparently he crossed illegally into Manitoba recently 

25 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

So now where is everyone who was calling the people of northern BC murdering hicks?? I'm still offended by all that crap at the beginning of this thread. I actually live on the island now but stil work up north. I've been all over BC and met wonderful people everywhere I go. I just hope everyone learns a lesson and don't "generalize" people living in a certain area just because they can't see why in the world they would live there...ok i'm done now. I hope they catch these pukes. 

Yeah, I was a bit put off as well. People who didn't know that Kitimat and Fort Nelson are 1000 miles apart thinking they know something about the people who live outside their little corner of the world.

FTR, I used to play in a traveling band and I've been pretty much everywhere from Yellowknife, to Flin Flon, to Estavan to the entire length of Vancouver Island and the scariest places I've been were Brooks Alberta, Duncan and Williams Lake.

Someone earlier mentioned Port Alberni and I have a funny story about that place:

They used to do a charity golf tournament there and it included a bunch of BC based professional athletes. (Tony Tanti, Tiger Williams, Gary Nyland and Kevin MCCarthy were all there that year) Myself and one of my bandmates decided to hit the tennis courts across from the hotel and on the way back, we were approached by a couple of big "jock" looking guys. (If you've ever played in a road band, you know this usually means trouble)

They asked if we were in the band and we hesitantly said "yes". Turned out, they were Molson reps and they proceeded to hand over 2 flats of Moosehead beer. (In those days, beer reps were allowed to give beer away) We ran back to the hotel like kids who just opened their Christmas presents....:)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

https://globalnews.ca/news/5671918/rcmp-texas-murder-suspect-tips-northern-bc-double-homicide/?utm_source=GlobalBC&utm_medium=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0nve8PPd0vH3SbMjaHAQva6N3KvrbNejZPWFRbvyGZCnNzPHt2QsdPCBE&fbclid=IwAR3qVnsQqoAf8Qp8ych4gtdCF5Vm4ABnoM400ioVwVIIIm1BngOPMd_bdBs

B.C. RCMP say they have received “a number of tips” regarding a person of interest in the case of two tourists killed in northern British Columbia.

RCMP say investigators are aware of Derek Whisenand, a Texas man who crossed the border into Manitoba sometime around June 24.

According to Manitoba RCMP, Whisenand is wanted for murder in Texas, may have a gun and is considered dangerous.

On Tuesday, B.C. RCMP Sgt. Janelle Shoihet said police “have received a number of tips in relation to Whisenand.”

“I have passed that information onto investigators but do not have a sense of whether or not they are looking in relation to the tragedies in northern B.C.,” she said.

On Monday, RCMP released a composite sketch of a bearded man a witness saw speaking with Australian Lucas Fowler and his American girlfriend Chynna Deese before the pair were found shot dead south of Liard Hot Springs on Highway 97 last Monday.

READ MORE: Here’s what we know about the 3 dead in northern B.C. and the suspects

RCMP described the man as Caucasian with darker skin, dark hair and a possible beard or glasses. RCMP say he is shorter than six feet three inches tall.

The man may be linked to an older-model Jeep Cherokee with a black stripe on the hood and a black bull bar with its lights covered that was last seen travelling southbound.

WANTED for Murder (Texas): 27yo Derek WHISENAND illegally crossed into Canada around June 24. May have a gun & is considered DANGEROUS. Travelling with a lrg mixed breed dog with a brindle coat. DO NOT APPROACH - If seen, call 911. #rcmpmb. For more info: http://rcmp-grc.ca/55749 

View image on Twitter

Police wish to speak with this man, who was seen speaking with Chynna Deese and Lucas Fowler the night before their bodies were discovered.

Police wish to speak with this man, who was seen speaking with Chynna Deese and Lucas Fowler the night before their bodies were discovered.

Global News

The B.C. RCMP are not ruling out that the double homicide is linked to the death of a man and the disappearance of two young Vancouver Island men hundreds of kilometres away in northwest B.C.

WATCH: RCMP warn public that suspects in BC double-murder are potentially dangerous

RCMP also said Wednesday that they believe the case of two missing Surrey men whose vehicle was found near Logan Lake, B.C., is not connected to the investigations in northern B.C.

5 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

so burning your vehicle and stealing a car driving it in saskachewan is taking suspicion off them sleeves? 

No, burning their vehicle to make it look like they were victims is though. I'm sure they were desperate and not thinking straight at the time.

I'm not sure what your agenda is here. It's obviously all hindsight now.

55 minutes ago, BPA said:

Tuesday, July 23

• In a bombshell development, RCMP revealed Schmegelsky and McLeod were being treated as suspects in the double homicide of Deese and Fowler.

• They are also suspected in the suspicious death of an unidentified man found near their abandoned burning truck.

• The pair is believed to be driving a grey 2011 Toyota RAV-4 and last seen in northern Saskatchewan.

I wonder if they did something epically stupid like use one of the victims credit cards at a gas station.... 

49 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

To remove any residual evidence that may be recovered by forensics.  Finger prints, hair, an old gas receipt with credit card numbers that may have slipped out, etc.  

1 minute ago, RonMexico said:

Probably, or maybe even their own!

they must have some evidence of them linking them to the victims tho, if it was just their own card yes its weird but they seem like the types capable of burning down their own camper as normal part of their day.