The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The future of Troy Stecher

Rate this topic

Hindustan Smyl

I posted back when with Hughes arrival that Stecher will be made available in the future.

But now with Myers, Benn possibly Trymakin's return and or a Utica ( Sautner, Brisebois or Chatfield ) I can see Stecher fitting in quite nicley.

3 hours ago, EdgarM said:

We live in the Cap Era so we don't have the luxury of paying him more because we MIGHT need him to play up in the line up. Sorry but Stech is no Tanev. With Tryamkin, Juloevi, Woo, Hughes etc. the writings on the wall for Stech unfortunately.

I think that Stech does have some good attributes like skating, puck moving, his intelligence doesn't let him down and his biggest attribute imo is his compete level.  This helps to make his lack of size less important even though at times it does become an issue.  Over all, he does have the skill to play up the line up and this is a good attribute.  Having said all that, I agree that there are things that he lacks in his game and that's why I peg him as a 3rd pair D.

Next season, there will be the cap flexibility to give him as much as a $1M bump.  I say this because I think that he would be happy with it and 3.3 is less than what he might be getting in arbitration which could be closer to 3.8.

Would Stecher be an option if they replaced Tanev?  I don't have a lot of conviction behind that comment because I don't see either Stecher or Myers as a permanent top pair D.  I certainly don't think they will move on both Tanev and Stecher because of lack of present and future depth.  There seems to be a lot of hope placed on Woo at this point and IF Tryamkin plays in Van and IF they play him on the right side again (as a left shot) do we really see him as top 4?  There are a lot of questions on the right side.   

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Just had to respond to this.

1) Stecher does have arbitration rights next season

2) His qualifying offer is $2.325 mill

3) Even if the Canucks offer a 1 year deal he will be a RFA after the deal therefore, he will still have to be protected to keep him from the expansion draft. 

Therefore their is a few things that could happen

1) he signs a longer term deal then 1 year and JB and his team will have to decide to protect him or not in the expansion draft

2) The Club and him cant decide on a longer contract and therefore goes to arbitration and the Canucks can decide to sign him or walk away.

3) Stecher has a terrible season and JB and company do not qualify him and he becomes a UFA

Arbitration at his current rate of scoring and mins played would probably IMO offer him between $3.5-$4 million based on past arbitration judgements for same type of players. Of course if he plays terrible this season it could be lower but I would doubt it be much higher unless he had a major breakout season which would mean 10 goals 40 assists 50 pts.

Arbitration does look at the fact that the club is not buying UFA years.

Arbitration does tend to focus on pts and mins played based on my analysis of past rulingsand the guide lines set out in the CBA. 

Just a little interesting fact at this point we only have to protect Myers, Stecher and Olli Juolevi. Hughs will have 2 years and is protected under that rule, Benn and Edler are UFAs that season and it only really gets complicated if Tanev is signed for more then 1 year. Thus I argue he will sign next year for a 1 year deal.

Awesome post sir.   Thank you for that!

I like Stecher, no doubt, but the Canucks will have some decisions to make.   If Stecher gets between 3.5-4 million, then where does that leave Tanev and a possibly returning Tryamkin?    My thinking is that if the Canucks decide to walk away from Tanev, then Tryamkin is pretty much going to get that Tanev money (or a large portion of it).   

How much money does Jake Virtanen get?  What about Demko?  Would we have enough money to re-Sign Markstrom? (Who will likely cost 5 million if he has a season similar to this past season).  If the Canucks move on from Markstrom, would it be wise to “give the car keys” to Demko so soon?.....especially if we are trying to make the playoffs?

Schaller and Tanev will be off the books, but that’s only 6.3-6.4ish million.   

Something will have to give unfortunately.   One or more of the guys that I mentioned above will need to be moved for picks.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

12 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Stecher will be an RFA at Season’s end.  I haven’t checked the details of his contract, and have no idea as to whether he’ll have arbitration rights or not, but if he does, I’m sure that he’d be able to command significantly north of 4 million.  Stecher has not only spent much of his time in a first pairing capacity, but he’s also spent significant amounts of time playing on a top pairing with Alex Edler.   This season, he will likely spend more time on the 3rd pairing with Benn, but who really knows what will happen.

My questions with Stecher are as follows:

1) What would Stecher be awarded by an arbitrator if it came to that?   

2) Would the Canucks be able to re-up Stecher given that Markstrom and possibly Tanev will need to be re-upped?  (and we also need to consider the fact that if we choose to move on from Tanev and Tryamkin returns, then it’s very likely that Tryamkin will be getting that Tanev money anyways and so much of that 4.45 million would go to Tree).  Oh yeah - did I mention that Jake Virtanen will need to be re-upped?

3) Will we need to trade Stecher at this year’s deadline regardless of where we are in the playoff race?

4) Is it possible that we choose not to qualify Stecher next Summer and give him the Hutton treatment?

5) If the Canucks make the playoffs next year and are forced to surrender their 1st, will Stecher be used to trade for a pick (2nd?) at the draft?   Are there teams out there that would gladly qualify Stecher, and then give him 4+ million?

1) Stecher won't get to arbitration.

2) Canucks D will be fine, as it is now - Edler, Myers, Hughes, Tanev, Benn, Stecher, Biega Juolevi, Fantenberg, Woo.

If Tryamkin comes back and Tanev is moved, isn't that a win? Tryamkin 70+ games and tanevs what, 40 or 50? + Tryamkin has more size, strength, youth health and offense.

Worried about Virtanen"s salary? Lol even if he scores 30G he won't be getting a high amount of $ until he repeats. 

3) Why would we trade Stecher? Right D is not very deep for the Canucks. Stecher = Tanev without the injuries.

So if Tanev is moved, tram comes back, stech is re-signed that leaves Edler, Myers, Hughes, Tryamkin, Stecher, Benn, with Juolevi and Woo knocking on the door for a look this year and next.

4) No, Hutton and Stecher are not alike, see playing style especially in the D zone, Stech is a pitbull.

Hutton was replaced by Benn who is a excellent 6D. Hutton isn't better then anyone aside from possibly Biega or Fantenberg. 

Canucks D will be much better without Delzaster, Pooalot, Gud-god-why-is-he-so-far-out-of-position-!? And Hutton

5) Stecher at this point and in near future is too valuable to canucks with a possible Tanev trade. Myers, stecher, biega with Woo & Chatfield as RHD, Tram also likes Right side.

I like Stecher, he will be a Canuck for a few more years. Sadly Chiarelli won't get the chance to offer 4M+ nor any competent GM.

Edited by GhostsOf1994
  • Cheers 2

If Tanev plays another game for the Canucks after his current contract is up. I’d be surprised. Same goes with Markstrom. 

Stecher is a guy who you love to cheer for because he plays with his heart on his sleeve and never backs down, but in reality he’s more of a 5th-6th defensemen, who can play 2nd pairing minutes. While he didn’t look out of place, I would never trust him playing top defensive minutes for us like he did last year. 

His is next contract is probably in the range of 3M-4M.

• Like 1

Stecher is good insurance.  He is not a first pairing guy, but a good number 4/5 guy that can play up and down the lineup.  

He could be a number 3 guy if things all line up. Remember our defence was a tire fire last year.  Being a 'top pairing guy' on that defence isn't a big accomplishment. 

As for value.  3 to 4 m depending on this year.  He doesn't get injured and stays on track, I would have no problem with him signing a 4m deal.  Not expansion protected.  

8 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I think that Stech does have some good attributes like skating, puck moving, his intelligence doesn't let him down and his biggest attribute imo is his compete level.  This helps to make his lack of size less important even though at times it does become an issue.  Over all, he does have the skill to play up the line up and this is a good attribute.  Having said all that, I agree that there are things that he lacks in his game and that's why I peg him as a 3rd pair D.

Next season, there will be the cap flexibility to give him as much as a $1M bump.  I say this because I think that he would be happy with it and 3.3 is less than what he might be getting in arbitration which could be closer to 3.8.

Would Stecher be an option if they replaced Tanev?  I don't have a lot of conviction behind that comment because I don't see either Stecher or Myers as a permanent top pair D.  I certainly don't think they will move on both Tanev and Stecher because of lack of present and future depth.  There seems to be a lot of hope placed on Woo at this point and IF Tryamkin plays in Van and IF they play him on the right side again (as a left shot) do we really see him as top 4?  There are a lot of questions on the right side.   

I agree he his a good 3rd pairing dman and he should be paid as such. He is a good energy guy like Motte but he certainly isn't a top 6 guy just as Stech is not a top 4. The difference between Stech and Tanev? Both can go in the corners and Tanev will come out with the puck. Stech? maybe, if he is not up against the oppositions top lines.

With Cap issues, I don't think there is room to pay a 3rd pairing dman close to 4 million dollars in this day and age. 2.5-3 is probably where he should fall unless he surprises all this year and breaks out.

• Upvote 2

Stech might have a breakout season this year, due to having a defensively sound and very physical partner in Benn.  He will also have a lot of time observing Quinn as he darts around the opposition and sends off incredible passes to the forwards (who can actually score).  I think Troy will be very inspired and the results will be in his play.  He has a great opportunity coming up this season.

Tanev may be the one that will be traded; probably after Christmas, unless they are looking like a playoff team and he is healthy.  I love the Tanman, but the team needs to find a way to replace him at this point.  If they want to do anything in the playoffs, they need an exceptional shut down dman.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BPA said:

He's a 5-6th D man.  Possibly squeezing into the 4th range.

4yrs at $2.0 to $2.5M.

Stecher is getting paid 2.3M right now.  I see him more at 3M for his next contract, if his play is like last season.  

5 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I think he's more than capable of being a top 4 Dman and will most likely be rocking the 'A' next year.  Local kid, good teammate and a great speaker.

I think you are over rating him and I see you are not using any kind of description pertaining to his hockey abilities. Eddie Lack was a nice guy too as was Hutton. That doesn't mean they are going to take us to the promised land. He will get bumped down the line this year and even more so if some of the prospects earn spots with the big club as well. He will be like Biega and he will be utilized if needed. We need to stop trying to hang on to mediocrity and aim to raise the bar higher then what we are used to up to this point.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I think you are over rating him and I see you are not using any kind of description pertaining to his hockey abilities. Eddie Lack was a nice guy too as was Hutton. That doesn't mean they are going to take us to the promised land. He will get bumped down the line this year and even more so if some of the prospects earn spots with the big club as well. He will be like Biega and he will be utilized if needed. We need to stop trying to hang on to mediocrity and aim to raise the bar higher then what we are used to up to this point.

I've never said Stecher was nice lol.  He got the call for Canada at the Worlds, that's something.  He's a good skater and plays the angles well(I always enjoy watching him vs. McDavid), won't be a crease clearer but can improve his passing and shot and his passing is pretty well to begin with.  Though I cannot think of any examples,  lot's of Dman progress well into their early 30's.  I don't think a team has collectively sucked more than the Canucks since Stecher has been in the NHL, maybe he can excel with better players around him as well.  To say he has no shot of being in the top 4 and comparing him to an AHL cailbre Dman is a little harsh.  

5 hours ago, higgyfan said:

tech might have a breakout season this year, due to having a defensively sound and very physical partner in Benn.

Good point.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I've never said Stecher was nice lol.  He got the call for Canada at the Worlds, that's something.  He's a good skater and plays the angles well(I always enjoy watching him vs. McDavid), won't be a crease clearer but can improve his passing and shot and his passing is pretty well to begin with.  Though I cannot think of any examples,  lot's of Dman progress well into their early 30's.  I don't think a team has collectively sucked more than the Canucks since Stecher has been in the NHL, maybe he can excel with better players around him as well.  To say he has no shot of being in the top 4 and comparing him to an AHL cailbre Dman is a little harsh.  

Good point.

6 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I think he's more than capable of being a top 4 Dman and will most likely be rocking the 'A' next year.  Local kid, good teammate and a great speaker.

My mistake, I guess when you say" Local kid, good teammate and a great speaker. " I don't know what else you are trying to say. In fact, you aren't really sure in most of your descriptions of him and that is the whole argument. Coulda ,shoulda, woulda, right?

From the 3 full NHL seasons I have watched him play, I did not see a glimmer of greatness in his game that is waiting to come out. Hughes on the other hand? I watched him for only  few games and I see the potential. Virtanen? has showed glimses of greatness so there is still that hope with him. Stech? He is just OK and I don't see how much more he can offer. Hutton was OK too and look where he's at.   

Edited by EdgarM

On 7/22/2019 at 1:46 PM, higgyfan said:

I think the focus will be on replacing Tanev, which will likely be costly.  If they sign Stech, it will be a 1yr cheapy deal (better he be a UFA than Seattle fodder as they could re-sign him in the offseason).  Markstrom, I think they wait to see how Demko this season.  Again, they could go with a 1yr contract so that he doesn't end up in Seattle.  Virtanen?  who knows, but I doubt he gets term or a lot of $.

Many players will choose 1yr contracts so that they can be ufas for the ED.

Tanev replacement $6m

Stecher (temp contract) $3m

Marks (temp contract)  $4.5m

Virtanen  $2.5m (depends on what he does this season)

Motte/Leivo  who knows, maybe temp contracts or replacements

Total  $15.5m-$20m

I think Loui gets bought out next off season

Loui    $6m

Sutter or Baer  +$3.5m

Schaller  $1.9m

Tanev  $4.45m

Total  $16m

With the new US tv contract we should see increases in the cap for the next few years.  Perhaps 3-5m each year.  Regardless, the #s are close, but they may not get the Tanev replacement they want.  Or, they may let Stech go if any of the prospect are looking good.

On 7/22/2019 at 12:07 PM, Hindustan Smyl said:

Stecher will be an RFA at Season’s end.  I haven’t checked the details of his contract, and have no idea as to whether he’ll have arbitration rights or not, but if he does, I’m sure that he’d be able to command significantly north of 4 million.  Stecher has not only spent much of his time in a first pairing capacity, but he’s also spent significant amounts of time playing on a top pairing with Alex Edler.   This season, he will likely spend more time on the 3rd pairing with Benn, but who really knows what will happen.

My questions with Stecher are as follows:

1) What would Stecher be awarded by an arbitrator if it came to that?   

2) Would the Canucks be able to re-up Stecher given that Markstrom and possibly Tanev will need to be re-upped?  (and we also need to consider the fact that if we choose to move on from Tanev and Tryamkin returns, then it’s very likely that Tryamkin will be getting that Tanev money anyways and so much of that 4.45 million would go to Tree).  Oh yeah - did I mention that Jake Virtanen will need to be re-upped?

3) Will we need to trade Stecher at this year’s deadline regardless of where we are in the playoff race?

4) Is it possible that we choose not to qualify Stecher next Summer and give him the Hutton treatment?

5) If the Canucks make the playoffs next year and are forced to surrender their 1st, will Stecher be used to trade for a pick (2nd?) at the draft?   Are there teams out there that would gladly qualify Stecher, and then give him 4+ million?

North of 4 mil? Sorry but no, there's not enough extra to his game to warrant that much.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, shiznak said:

If Tanev plays another game for the Canucks after his current contract is up. I’d be surprised. Same goes with Markstrom. 

Stecher is a guy who you love to cheer for because he plays with his heart on his sleeve and never backs down, but in reality he’s more of a 5th-6th defensemen, who can play 2nd pairing minutes. While he didn’t look out of place, I would never trust him playing top defensive minutes for us like he did last year. 

His is next contract is probably in the range of 3M-4M.

Agree on Stecher. I like him on the 3rd pairing, killing penalties and used against 2nd-4th lines. I consider Tanev #1 and Myers #2. Stecher may be too rich for the 3rd pairing depending on his next contract so it could make sense to look to trade him this year. I have no complains if we re-sign Tanev. A 3rd pairing RD should not be expensive nor hard to find, so we can wait on Woo to be a strong 3rd pairing NHLer on his ELC hopefully.