The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade David Clarkson, 2020 4th-round pick to Maple Leafs for Garret Sparks

1 hour ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Thanks I take this as a compliment, any time I have to read something twice I find it is at a higher comprehinsion. So I will take this as a compliment. 

And yes English is my First language but I also speak Dutch and French.

Nederlands is een fantastische taal!

• Upvote 1

On 7/25/2019 at 4:19 PM, Tower102 said:

How does that work? I always assumed if a player went on LTIR their cap automatically did not count against the cap (or their cap hit would be allowed to go up in an equal value). How does having a second player on LTIR affect the first? Why is the LTIR relief on Horton not 100% already?

Teams only get LTIR cap relief up to the portion they need to become cap compliant.

Say a team is 2M above the cap and has a LTIR contract of 5M - they will only get relief on 2M and not the full 5M as they are only 2M above the cap.  They would basically be operating with an active roster with a 78.5M cap hit - the 5M LTIR contract has 3M under the cap and 2M above the cap.

To get the full cap relief they need to try and build a roster that is as close as possible to 86.5M (81.5M in active roster + 5M in LTIR cap).

Adding Clarkson doesn't create more cap space but gives them more flexibility to create a roster that allows them to get the full cap relief.

The concern is mostly that Marner doesn't sign before the season starts.  They would not be able to maximise LTIR relief if they only have the Horton contract.

There are two ways to treat LTIR.

Option 1 - Exceed the cap up to the LTIR cap hits and already add their replacements on the roster. That's the likely scenario if Marner signs this off-season.

Adding Clarkson has no real effect on this approach.  Whether they create a roster that is as close as possible to [81.5M + 5.3M (Horton)] vs [81.5M + (5.3M+5.25M)]  - it's still an active roster as close as possible to 81.5M with Marner included.    

Option 2 - Get under the cap first and then put the players on LTIR before finally signing Marner.  That's the scenario if he is not signed before the start of the season and probably why they felt the need to add Clarkson.

Without Clarkson they would not be able to get close to 81.5M as they have kept additional cap space to sign Marner in addition to the space they can get by putting Horton on LTIR.

CapFriendly shows the Leafs with a cap hit of 84.4M with 23 players on their roster including Hyman, Dermott, Clarkson and Horton on IR and included in the 84.4M cap.

Without Clarkson that amount would be 79.15M with an active roster of 23 players + Horton, Dermott and Hyman on IR.

The Leafs have several depth players between 675K and 775K.  They could demote and recall players with a higher cap hit from the AHL but it wouldn't get them close to 81.5M because the players in the AHL have at most a cap hit of 925K and they are already with a roster of 23 players.    

Adding Clarkson should give them more flexibility to get full LTIR relief.  They don't need to carry 23 players and can go as low as 20 for the opening roster.  They can play with timing - who gets put on LTIR before the start of the season/after the start of the season.  CapFriendly has the following illustration but it can be a different combination.

On 7/27/2019 at 9:18 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Lawyers are often like doctors -- they are conditioned throughout their indoctrin... er, education to believe that they are experts and smarter than anyone else.  Thereby they are never wrong and any "laymen" are unwashed idiots.

So true. My lady does editing for medical documents, and while some of the doctors — no MDs, just BMedScs — walk around like they're gods, they still lack basic grammar/spelling skills. :bored: These aren't occasional mistakes; their papers are riddled with errors akin to a a 9th grade level, maybe even lower.

Anyways, I think the LTIR structure should be redesigned in the next CBA. This crap should be unacceptable.