The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade David Clarkson, 2020 4th-round pick to Maple Leafs for Garret Sparks

After acquiring David Clarkson's contract, we now show the #Leafs with a projected cap hit of $82,234,699 ($734,699 above the $81.5M ceiling) with a roster of 22 (12F/8D/2G)

Leafs can still place Horton & Clarkson on LTIR and potentially exceed the ceiling by as much as $10.55M

Leafs only have to pay 20% of Clarkson's salary (real dollars), the rest is paid by insurance. Their cap is essentially unaffected.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Wat 1

Just now, kanucks25 said:

After acquiring David Clarkson's contract, we now show the #Leafs with a projected cap hit of $82,234,699 ($734,699 above the $81.5M ceiling) with a roster of 22 (12F/8D/2G)

Leafs can still place Horton & Clarkson on LTIR and potentially exceed the ceiling by as much as $10.55M

and there it is. Now it makes sense. 

12 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Side deal with Marner already done but not signed?  Will attend training camp without contract but won’t officially sign until 1st day of the season and Clarkson on IR??

Still a risky play for Marner

Sounds like this is the case. Once Clarkson and Horton are LTIR'd, there will be enough cap-space to sign Marner.

Perhaps they've already agreed to a deal and Marner's camp has assured the Leafs that they are not interested in signing an offer sheet to go elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

Huh? Dont get it. For one, who's the back up in Toronto? Hutchison? They are gonna play the heck out of Andersson which I'm sure will go well. Not. Weird trade. Edit. I see the previous posts and seems a little shady to me. 

Edited by rekker

Just now, RonMexico said:

Horton and Clarkson contracts are passed around like the village bike. I can't believe the league allows this garbage.

Aren’t there several of these joke contracts?  Hossa and Pronger come to mind.  Hey Betman!  “Are these guys on LTIR for 5 plus years in the spirit of the CBA?”

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Lord Dubas showing how it's done, weaponizing the cap even when he has no cap space!

Seriously though.  What do the Leafs do if Marner signs an offer sheet tomorrow?  They can’t go over the cap by 10 % right?  They might have no choice but to let Marner walk.