The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade David Clarkson, 2020 4th-round pick to Maple Leafs for Garret Sparks

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

TML better hope that nobody gets hurt because they're not gonna be able to ice a hockey team if none of those players go on LTIR.

Is there a limit to the number of contracts can be these LTIR (retirement) contracts one team can have?  

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Seriously though.  What do the Leafs do if Marner signs an offer sheet tomorrow?  They can’t go over the cap by 10 % right?  They might have no choice but to let Marner walk. 

Maybe thats what they want so the blame can be on Marner.

They likely know he wont sign one if they are making this move now. I kind of hope some crazy ass GM convinces him to sign one though.

Edited by Silver Ghost

Let’s be honest, the Leafs haven’t really done much to open up more cap space. They just took on a contract they can put on LTIR (which won’t affect the cap) for a contract they would have been forced to bury in the minors (which a percentage would still go against the cap). 

They saved pennies.

4 minutes ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

So what happens now if a team offer sheets Marner for more than 10% of the cap? How much is that exactly? and how many picks would it cost? 

I would love to see how the Leafs could turn that around and match it.

Whats the bet the Leafs would get an exception from the league to exceed the 10%.

2 minutes ago, Aspie said:

Let’s be honest, the Leafs haven’t really done much to open up more cap space. They just took on a contract they can put on LTIR (which won’t affect the cap) for a contract they would have been forced to bury in the minors (which a percentage would still go against the cap). 

They saved pennies.

They are creating artificial cap room though. Because if they are at the cap, they get that 10 mil more than other teams without having that player count against the roster. Its a seriously damaging loophole as bad or worse than the Luongo type contracts were. 

We all know because its the Leafs it will work out fine for them. The NHL knows where its bread is buttered. 

If the Canucks did this it would create an instant significant penalty for cap circumvention.

Edited by Silver Ghost
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Clarkson hasn't played an NHL game in over 3 years, so no. 

Oh I wasn't sure how long it'd been since he played.

I thought Columbus originally acquired Clarkson for Horton because they saw that Clarkson could play and Horton couldn't. I guess that's not the case lol 

• Haha 1

Don't Horton and Clarkson have to be included in the cap for opening night?  If so, being able to place them on LTIR is great, but the Leafs have to first be cap compliant.  It's not like they have a lot of high $ contracts for players who are waiver exempt (e.g. the Canucks could theoretically paper down Boeser to the AHL to start the season if they need to move around some contracts for opening night and then bring him back up once they start using LTIR).

I'm probably missing something but seems odd.

• Upvote 1

I would laugh if Clarkson recovered suddenly and the Leafs had to put him on the roster.

This move seems kind of pointless for both sides though. I think TSN was just starving for a Leafs headline so they did them a favour:

30 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

They are creating artificial cap room though. Because if they are at the cap, they get that 10 mil more than other teams without having that player count against the roster. Its a seriously damaging loophole as bad or worse than the Luongo type contracts were. 

We all know because its the Leafs it will work out fine for them. The NHL knows where its bread is buttered. 

If the Canucks did this it would create an instant significant penalty for cap circumvention.

Well not really because even without the Horton and Clarkson contracts they will still be at the cap ceiling. They still have to sign Marner at under $10.5million and plug a couple no-names into the roster if they want to be under the cap with the LTIR artificial cap.

Maybe it’s just because I look at those players as non-existent because they’ll never play another game.