The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade David Clarkson, 2020 4th-round pick to Maple Leafs for Garret Sparks

44 minutes ago, oldnews said:

:wacko:

This changes nothing.  Marner 'could have' signed on day 1 before this deal.

You haven't really 'figured out' anything that anyone else here didn't already understand.

i agree

but still

this trade still came as a total surprise to me

and i share the same initial puzzlement as many on here

this is the 2nd surprising transaction this off season

the first being that lucic actually was traded

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

They don’t really get an “extra 10 mil” that’s useable on players. The two players they are taking cap hits for can’t play. If they were health they’d be getting no cap relief. I know what you’re saying but it’s not like they have an extra 10 mil player on their team AND marner. It’s still a stupid loophole but it’s allowed 

except what does happen

is that the dollar value of those contracts get locked in

marner knows that money will in fact be available once the season starts

the laffs have demonstrated that they are committed to this process

they cannot spend this money elsewhere

22 minutes ago, Aspie said:

Its something to do with Accuring Cap Space.

What is the Accruable Cap Space Limit (ACSL)?

When a team goes into LTIR, their effective salary cap, or upper limit, is changed. This adjusted upper limit is calculated as a function of the teams cap space and the player’s cap hit. This value is the “accruable cap space limit” (ACSL), and is the first value calculated. Second are the salary and performance bonus relief pools that are later explained below.

The accruable cap space limit is the teams new upper limit excluding their LTIR relief pools. If the team operates below the ACSL, they begin to accrue cap space. A team can operate up to the ACSL without using their LTIR relief pools, once they operate above the ACSL, they begin to use their LTIR relief pools. In the majority of cases, a team using LTIR will be using their relief pools. Only in uncommon circumstances does a team operate below their ACSL.

The ACSL is only calculated when a team first enters LTIR, if a player is placed on LTIR while another player is already on LTIR, the ACSL is not recalculated. In the event that a team stops using LTIR, their ACSL resets to the default upper limit of the active season, upon reentering LTIR, the ACSL is again recalculated.

Two methods can be used to calculate the ACSL:
  2. The Basic Equation

The basic equation can be used throughout the NHL regular season, and during the off-season:

ACSL = Salary cap upper limit - team cap space

Example: The 2017-18 upper limit is $75M, a team with a projected cap hit of $74.9M places a player with an AAV of $5M on LTIR:
    Upper limit = $75M
    Team cap space = $0.1M
    ACSL = $75M - $0.1M = $74.9M
    If the team decides that they do not need to recall a player, and instead reassign a player to the AHL, they would begin to accrue cap space because they are operating below the ACSL.

https://www.capfriendly.com/ltir-faq

Yes exactly very good post

32 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Still hasn’t been able to explain how this helps the Leafs find 11 mil to sign Marner though.

Not sure this is going to help but I will take a stab at it. Horton and Clarkson have a combined salary against the cap of $10.55M. If the Leafs are exactly at the cap on Day1 they will then be able to place both these players on LTIR and get the full LTIR benefit ($10.55M) to exceed the salary cap by that amount for the remainder of the season as long as Clarkson and Horton remain on LTIR. They have 22 players on their roster today and adding Marner at $10.55M on the 1st day of the season would complete their roster. I believe the key point here is that the Leafs needed to be at the cap on opening day but with flexibility so they could take full advantage of Horton's salary taking them over the cap limit. Adding a roster player making $5.25M (Clarkson's salary) would not provide that maximum flexibility and you would only be able to pay Marner the equivalent of Horton's salary (#5.3M).

Having said all of the above, I have no idea why they would do this and not be able to have Marner attend training camp and play exhibition games. Makes no sense to me. The below is a relative section from the CBA that I hope may be of some help.

Prior to Opening Day Illustrations: Illustration #1: The Upper Limit in a League Year is $70.0 million. On the last day of Training Camp, a Club has an Averaged Club Salary of $71.5 million (excluding Earnable Performance Bonuses up to the full amount of the Performance Bonus Cushion). A Player who has an SPC with an Averaged Amount of $2.0 million becomes unfit to play on the last day of Training Camp, and on the same day, the Club Loans a Player who has an SPC with an Averaged Amount of $1.5 million to the minors, decreasing its Averaged Club Salary to $70.0 million. On Opening Day, the Club exercises the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception on the unfit-to-play Player. The Club may then replace the unfit-to-play Player with any Player or Players who have SPCs with an (aggregate) Averaged Amount of $2.0 million. If these replacements are made on Opening Day and are maintained through the conclusion of the season, the Club's Averaged Club Salary is $72.0 million, as the Club is permitted to exceed the Upper Limit by $2.0 million because of the Bona-Fide LongTerm Injury/Illness Exception.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Not sure this is going to help but I will take a stab at it. Horton and Clarkson have a combined salary against the cap of $10.55M. If the Leafs are exactly at the cap on Day1 they will then be able to place both these players on LTIR and get the full LTIR benefit ($10.55M) to exceed the salary cap by that amount for the remainder of the season as long as Clarkson and Horton remain on LTIR. They have 22 players on their roster today and adding Marner at $10.55M on the 1st day of the season would complete their roster. I believe the key point here is that the Leafs needed to be at the cap on opening day but with flexibility so they could take full advantage of Horton's salary taking them over the cap limit. Adding a roster player making $5.25M (Clarkson's salary) would not provide that maximum flexibility and you would only be able to pay Marner the equivalent of Horton's salary (#5.3M).

Having said all of the above, I have no idea why they would do this and not be able to have Marner attend training camp and play exhibition games. Makes no sense to me. The below is a relative section from the CBA that I hope may be of some help.

Prior to Opening Day Illustrations: Illustration #1: The Upper Limit in a League Year is $70.0 million. On the last day of Training Camp, a Club has an Averaged Club Salary of $71.5 million (excluding Earnable Performance Bonuses up to the full amount of the Performance Bonus Cushion). A Player who has an SPC with an Averaged Amount of $2.0 million becomes unfit to play on the last day of Training Camp, and on the same day, the Club Loans a Player who has an SPC with an Averaged Amount of $1.5 million to the minors, decreasing its Averaged Club Salary to $70.0 million. On Opening Day, the Club exercises the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception on the unfit-to-play Player. The Club may then replace the unfit-to-play Player with any Player or Players who have SPCs with an (aggregate) Averaged Amount of $2.0 million. If these replacements are made on Opening Day and are maintained through the conclusion of the season, the Club's Averaged Club Salary is $72.0 million, as the Club is permitted to exceed the Upper Limit by $2.0 million because of the Bona-Fide LongTerm 

I've posted this before a player without a contract can attend training cap it is completely up to the player and club

Edited by Arrow 1983

33 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I think they can be over the cap till the first day of the season no? So he can still come to camp and the leafs not be subverting anything. But I am assuming and could stand corrected on that. 

That is correct. But Clarkson and Horton cannot be placed on LTIR until the first day of the season so they could not sign Marner before then and be over when the season starts. Thats why they will probably wait to file the contract until those two are able to be put on ltir.

I was under the impression that players had to be under contract to attend training camp but could be wrong. 

Edited by Silver Ghost

3 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I've posted this before a player without a contract can attend training cap it is completely up to the player and club

Why are there PTO contracts then? And if the player gets injured in camp they have absolutely no recourse at all. Huge risk for Marner.

Edited by Silver Ghost

Looks like Marner contact will be about $10.5M.  

And Toronto will have 22 players on the roster unless they make some additional trades. 

This already assuming they send down a $735k contract (ie. Ben Harpur).

Edited by BPA
Spelling

3 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

Why are there PTO contracts then? And if the player gets injured in camp they have absolutely no recourse at all. Huge risk for Marner.

That's exactly the contract that Marner could sign a PTO so he would be covered by insurance 

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

Looks like Marner contact will be about $10.5M.  

And Toronto will have 22 players on the roster unless they make some additional trades. 

This already assuming they send down a $735k contract (ie. Ben Harpur).

Truth be told Marner would have to sit out preseason or the NHL would have cause to believe this is cap circumventing