The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade David Clarkson, 2020 4th-round pick to Maple Leafs for Garret Sparks

24 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

How does it help Vegas. From what I've read it helps Leafs. 

They can exceed cap by Horton and Clarkson combibed salaries of 10.55 mill during the summer. 

You have to be at cap max to take "full" advantage of ltir. Plus 10% over cap max. So it helps in marner negotiations. If they sign him to 10.5 mill they now have that flexibility. If they sign him to 10.5 on day one of regular season this trade gives them flexibility. 

No one is cheating. I remember GMMG talking about being at cap max in order to get full benefit of LTIR. Canucks did similar things under GMMG as well.

Thats exactly it, Vegas I don't think were able to get close to that cap max where they could utilize the full ltir as they wanted to sign another player or two, they have been trying to move him for some time now so I think a higher draft pick could have been received, but when I think about it the draft pick was not important to the Leafs as  i know this helps the Leafs with trying to sign Marner to 10.5 but it's still 10.5. it may have cost Vegas more to move him if it were another team.  Hopefully the Leafs don't have an big players injured if they do and aren't able to put them on ltir to bring up replacement players, this team may be in trouble 

29 minutes ago, PuckFather said:

You realize if that player without a contract is injured, there's no insurance coverage, right?

It happens every year. Players sign PTO contracts for preseason in hopes some team likes what they see and sign them... However its never star players. I don't see Marner doing it. Too much money on the line. Possibly upwards of $80 mill. He doesn't need to take that risk. 

21 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

It happens every year. Players sign PTO contracts for preseason in hopes some team likes what they see and sign them... However its never star players. I don't see Marner doing it. Too much money on the line. Possibly upwards of $80 mill. He doesn't need to take that risk. 

Exactly. If you're a no-name player, hoping to secure a spot, you'd take the risk. You wouldn't do it if you're Marner.

1 minute ago, Gassy Jack said:

so what happen at the beginning of season after the next... They will have the 2 LTIR and Marner on the books to start the season, wont they?

i am so confused...

When a player has been on LTIR for long time like Hutton and Clarkson and are likely to be on ltir at start of season their team can leave them on LTIR during summer.

They don't have to wait until opening day to put those types of players on LTIR. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

Thats exactly it, Vegas I don't think were able to get close to that cap max where they could utilize the full ltir as they wanted to sign another player or two, they have been trying to move him for some time now so I think a higher draft pick could have been received, but when I think about it the draft pick was not important to the Leafs as  i know this helps the Leafs with trying to sign Marner to 10.5 but it's still 10.5. it may have cost Vegas more to move him if it were another team.  Hopefully the Leafs don't have an big players injured if they do and aren't able to put them on ltir to bring up replacement players, this team may be in trouble 

A club can put as many players as they want on LTIR as long as that player is injured. Actually any player that gets injured will go on LTIR because they are at max cap

8 minutes ago, Gassy Jack said:

so what happens at the beginning of season after the next... They will have the 2 LTIR and Marner on the books to start the season, wont they?

i am so confused...

both Horton and Clarksons contracts expire next season

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

When a player has been on LTIR for long time like Hutton and Clarkson and are likely to be on ltir at start of season their team can leave them on LTIR during summer.

They don't have to wait until opening day to put those types of players on LTIR. 

that's not true all teams players have to be accounted for towards the cap at the beginning of each season.

1 minute ago, Arrow 1983 said:

A club can put as many players as they want on LTIR as long as that player is injured. Actually any player that gets injured will go on LTIR because they are at max cap

yes teams can put as many players on ltir but the players has to miss at least 10 games and 24 days, otherwise they are just on IR which doesn't bring cap relief only opens up a player slot.  If the Leafs want to use ltir, they have that player out for at least the bare minimum 10 games..  So hopefully it's not a players like Marner, Tavares, Matthews ( who has missed about 12 games each of the last two seasons.) any one of these players having to be out at least 10 games could cause a serious blow to their playoff bids

Just now, WHL rocks said:

You're wrong. 

the summer thing only applies so it doesn't account to a teams cap if the a team goes over by 10% in the summer, thus Toronto can go over the Cap 10% plus the 2 LTIR contracts but must then comply with the cap at the beginning of the season

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, KariyaSakicAnderson said:

yes teams can put as many players on ltir but the players has to miss at least 10 games and 24 days, otherwise they are just on IR which doesn't bring cap relief only opens up a player slot.  If the Leafs want to use ltir, they have that player out for at least the bare minimum 10 games..  So hopefully it's not a players like Marner, Tavares, Matthews ( who has missed about 12 games each of the last two seasons.) any one of these players having to be out at least 10 games could cause a serious blow to their playoff bids

true to the first part 

speculation to the second part

Edited by Arrow 1983

6 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

that's not true all teams players have to be accounted for towards the cap at the beginning of each season.

You are wrong.

This was explained by the league a couple years ago.  It is more complicated, but these guys get to be on LTIR right away and the team can sign a player who will be their LTIR replacement before the season starts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

You are wrong.

This was explained by the league a couple years ago.  It is more complicated, but these guys get to be on LTIR right away and the team can sign a player who will be their LTIR replacement before the season starts.

if I'm not going to agree with you and your not going to agree with me then there is no point in furthering this conversation.

But I do know that a good argument doesn't start with YOU ARE WRONG

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

the summer thing only applies so it doesn't account to a teams cap if the a team goes over by 10% in the summer, thus Toronto can go over the Cap 10% plus the 2 LTIR contracts but must then comply with the cap at the beginning of the season

Well ofcourse. All teams have to be cap compliant at start of season. 

Say if Leafs had Mathews injured. He's never playing again. Does that mean leafs have to be 12 mill under the cap to start every season for next 5 years?

They can't sign UFAs in summer because Mathews is done for his career. 

That wouldn't make sense.

So in case player like Clarkson who's career is clearly over the team can put him on LTIR in summer.

His salary won't count on first day of regular season. Same with hortons. 

Because it's obvious neither player is going to play hockey again. 

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Well ofcourse. All teams have to be cap compliant at start of season. 

Say if Leafs had Mathews injured. He's never playing again. Does that mean leafs have to be 12 mill under the cap to start every season for next 5 years?

They can't sign UFAs in summer because Mathews is done for his career. 

That wouldn't make sense.

So in case player like Clarkson who's career is clearly over the team can put him on LTIR in summer.

His salary won't count on first day of regular season. Same with hortons. 

Because it's obvious neither player is going to play hockey again. 

doesn't matter what player you mention a team still must be cap complaint with all players including those going to go on LTIR this is why vegas needed to make this trade and why Marner will not sign till after these 2 guys go onto LTIR

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Wat 1