The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Jonathan Dahlén to Timrå IK

Might be of no intrest to The Canucks fanbase since the trade but here it is anyways

Rumours going as of now that Dahlén is close to Timrå (Swedish second tier again after demotion last year)

Seems the Dahlén - Karlsson trade could have been pretty decent? 

The reason of going back Should be to get the joy on the ice back, last year was a tough year with 2 concussions and the Utica story according to Swedish media 

Link in Swedish, Should work witg Google translate 

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/a/e8eOXK/uppgifter-timras-dromvarvning-nara

Edited by ForzaTikare
  • Thanks 1

https://www.hockeysverige.se/2019/07/23/statistik-de-shl-klubbarna-ar-storst-pa-sociala-medier

Quick Translation:

Jonathan Dahlén left Timrå after the promotion to SHL 2018. Now Sundsvalls Tidning reveals that the 21-year-old leaves the San Joses organization and is ready for a return to Timrå. The data that Jonathan Dahlén's potential comeback to Timrå already came in June when Sportbladet reported that the 21-year-old was thinking of returning to Sweden after a heavy season in North America. Now Sundsvall's magazine reveals that Dahlén is ready for a return to Timrå. The magazine writes that the recruitment is expected to be presented within the next few days and that Dahlén may already be present when the team goes on ice on August 6. Dahlén started the past season in Vancouver's pharmaceutical team Utica, but was changed to San Jose in connection with the NHL's trading deadline. In total, the 21-year-old played 57 games in the AHL this past season, with 33 points (14 + 19) as a point.

18 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Kid seems to be better off suited to be the big fish in a small pond over putting in the hard work to be a legit NHL player. Best of luck to him over his career.

It's pretty hard to go from being one of the better players to just average or worse.  We see this time an again where star players have to reinvent their game in order to make it in the best league in the world.  Of course, the AHL is a transition league but is a better league than most people think.  Some obviously can't make the adjustment.  Since Dahlen's father was an NHL player, you would think that he would be better prepared for a jump to the bigs.

That he had 2 concussions last year is news to me and makes you wonder that his transition wasn't going very well in terms of protecting himself and adjusting his style of play

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Upvote 1

Good for him I suppose? Not everyone is cut out for the NHL, let alone the NA game. It clearly wasn't a good year/season for him and trying to turn things around in a place he's had success ain't the worst idea. 

Maybe he'll be back to try again at some point but I won't be surprised if he stays overseas. 

Dahlén started the past season in Vancouver's pharmaceutical team Utica ......

Y'know, Utica is proving to be a really good test for life as a pro up in Vancouver's pharmaceutical city.

Didn't Try fail this one too?  So perhaps it didn't matter after all, that he wouldn't report to learn good habits in Utica.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Trent Cull is a strong hockey man and knows if a kid has the chops.    He saw warning flags from the start here and his instincts have proven right.

All the best to the kid and his career in Sweden.  It takes more than just skill to be in the NHL and it is good the Canuck system has people who can evaluate both.

Its funny how because people were rooting for Dahlen, the problem was Cull and Utica. But in LE's case where there's not much support there, it's LE's fault and not Green. Not saying I'm blaming Green, but funny how perspectives change.

24 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Its funny how because people were rooting for Dahlen, the problem was Cull and Utica. But in LE's case where there's not much support there, it's LE's fault and not Green. Not saying I'm blaming Green, but funny how perspectives change.

You seem swayed by what a majority of people on an internet chat site (or worse, brutal media hacks) have to say.   Hockey decisions by good hockey people are just that.   The Dahlen and LE situations are dramatically different but both have a root in a player who is/was out of sorts with their role and a coach that well knows it (and may even be the cause).   I think it is far more common in human nature to root for the unknown prospect/commodity and easier to criticize the veteran known commodity/player.    That doesn't mean that the majority of chatter is remotely close to correct.

I don't think perspectives changing is the issue as much as in one case you have a prospect that Canucks management determined was highly unlikely to achieve the NHL through their organization so they move him for another prospect they feel had better potential.   The other case you bring up is more of a veteran player not meeting the expectations that pretty much everyone in hockey (he had multiple pursuers in FA) had for him.     

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You seem swayed by what a majority of people on an internet chat site (or worse, brutal media hacks) have to say.   Hockey decisions by good hockey people are just that.   The Dahlen and LE situations are dramatically different but both have a root in a player who is/was out of sorts with their role and a coach that well knows it (and may even be the cause).   I think it is far more common in human nature to root for the unknown prospect/commodity and easier to criticize the veteran known commodity/player.    That doesn't mean that the majority of chatter is remotely close to correct.

I don't think perspectives changing is the issue as much as in one case you have a prospect that Canucks management determined was highly unlikely to achieve the NHL through their organization so they move him for another prospect they feel had better potential.   The other case you bring up is more of a veteran player not meeting the expectations that pretty much everyone in hockey (he had multiple pursuers in FA) had for him.     

This is likely about the depth developing within the org. Dahlen was one player who likely had to play top 6 if a NHL career was possible. The prospect JB got for Dahlen was more of a d-side potential. He won’t be the last hard decision as  the timeline marches towards a CUP competitive roster. This process should be more fun than the last few seasons. 

24 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I'm not swayed by anything. I'm agreeing with you. I just think it's funny how people's thought processes are.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, ForzaTikare said:

Might be of no intrest to The Canucks fanbase since the trade but here it is anyways

Rumours going as of now that Dahlén is close to Timrå (Swedish second tier again after demotion last year)

Seems the Dahlén - Karlsson trade could have been pretty decent? 

The reason of going back Should be to get the joy on the ice back, last year was a tough year with 2 concussions and the Utica story according to Swedish media 

You’ll have to add a source to your thread or it will be locked. The forum specific rules are available here: http://forum.canucks.com/announcement/20-forum-specific-rules/

P.S. I noticed another user added it a couple posts below yours. Just copy and paste it into your original post.