The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Jonathan Dahlén to Timrå IK

5 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

still, tho, JB has yet to pull off that blockbuster signing or trade that catapults us forward

-Quinn- the St Louis Blues trade

-Burke - The Sedin trade

-Keenan ( I hated him) but the Bertuzzi trade, the Morrison trade

-Nonis- the Luongo trade

-Nonis - the Erhoff trade

Not saying where JB ranks amongst these guys but he for the duration he has been here he has not made a big splash trade.

- to be honest I really liked the Miller, Ferland and Myers moves.

- I think he does have assets - Podkolzin, one of our goalies or Dipietro, Madden, Gaudette, Virtanen, tanev,  woo, hell Ferland, miller are players other teams would have interest, especially if thy have good starts to the year- not saying he should trade any of these guys but if the right player was available...

Gillis did the Erhoff trade, didn't he?

10 hours ago, apollo said:

What a steal this turned out to be for Ottawa... 

Sadly burrows got injured in the east final vs the penguins and after he got hurt, the pens took over the series. 

Healthy Burr that year and I %100 guarantee Ottawa wins that cup they deserved. 

Long live the GOAT! Alexandre Burrrrrows

I don't get this term GOAT

Sure I get Greatest of all time......and it's a new term.  But Goat used to mean the guy who was blamed for bad things as in Scapegoat.  Like when Virtanen got blamed for the World Junior loss unjustly.  The new useage has pretty much the opposite meaning of the old.  As if the past has absolutely no account.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, nzan said:

That’s interesting, I watched a couple of Utica/Toronto playoff games year before last and I loved Dahlens game...guess that’s why I do architecture rather than hockey

You're not alone... Inge Hammarström, the one that was determined Benning should pick Petey in the draft, had Dahlen as no 2 i Swedens most talented. Petey was no 1.

It seems as Dahlen has a problem with the cultural differences between how a coach steer the ship. This is a reason I speak of a more modern approach of leadership/coaching where the coach can manage the different personalities better to get more value out of every single player.

And people on here has probably noticed that I don't give much credit to what I call neanderthal thinking. If Dahlen got caught in a neanderthal structure it might be a reason to why he can't make it. He probably need a more modern leadership.

Rob, did you notice any differences in leadership/coaching during your stay i Sweden?

16 hours ago, coastal.view said:

so now it is burrows for a real long shot prospect

ok

so i'm going to assume it is a nothing in return now ?

i know these boards pump our prospects

but few not drafted in the first round amount to much (so far - demko and gaudette excepted - but they are still a bit on the bubble)

Sometimes our 1st rounds don’t work out so well either :) but Benning is improving that. If we only have 1 1st round not make it every 5 drafts.... that’s Huge.

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

You're not alone... Inge Hammarström, the one that was determined Benning should pick Petey in the draft, had Dahlen as no 2 i Swedens most talented. Petey was no 1.

It seems as Dahlen has a problem with the cultural differences between how a coach steer the ship. This is a reason I speak of a more modern approach of leadership/coaching where the coach can manage the different personalities better to get more value out of every single player.

And people on here has probably noticed that I don't give much credit to what I call neanderthal thinking. If Dahlen got caught in a neanderthal structure it might be a reason to why he can't make it. He probably need a more modern leadership.

Rob, did you notice any differences in leadership/coaching during your stay i Sweden?

It did seem as if there was a disconnect.

There's no question that coaches have to make tough decisions, some of them aren't going to be popular and some of them are going to be flat-out wrong.

Still, the neanderthals running our organizations seem to continually make correct judgements on young players - I'm trying to think of the last time we've given up on a young player that has turned out to be any good...Grabner 10 years ago?! I guess Forsling could potentially still become a legit D-man.

We were all losing our minds when we traded Shinkaruk (a somewhat similar trade) and I won't even tell you the stories about Hodgson.

I thought Dahlen was great, I hope he still can re-group and prove the coaches wrong.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I'm not sure a "modern" leadership approach would work. As a coach, you need to be consistent. Can you imagine giving a player hell to try to motivate them and then they see you coddling another player? Players need to adapt to systems and show their worth to a team. They need to grow into roles if they're aren't there right out of the gate.

You may lose some decent talent, but the coach needs a structure and stick with it and not bend too much otherwise players will continue to push their limits and see how little they can do to get to where they want to be. They are trying to build a competitive hockey team and not some group therapy session where they play hockey on the side.

If there is a "modern" version of coaching that supposedly brings out the best in everyone and everyone on the team is fine with that approach I would surely like to read more into it.

Some players have all the talent in the world, but if you don't put the work in, you're never going to make it.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Timråfan said:

You're assuming it was a 'neanderthal' structure, but Green is not Tortorella. In fact, Green is/was one of the youngest coaches coming into the game. Furthermore, Dahlen did not prove himself on a competing SJ team, which illustrates that the problem is on Dahlen, not the Canucks.

I am sure Dahlen is talented. I was one of the many people that wanted Dahlen to succeed, but he forced Benning to make a trade despite being the only person claiming not to do it (his own agent even contradicts him, as well as Benning).

The timing of when he asked for a trade was also very dumb. He could've used all this time to train for his Canuck debut for this next coming year, but he had to be a primadonna.

Enough defending of Dahlen. Reputation means a lot in most fields of employment - and Benning has already established that as someone who doesn't outright lie. On the other hand, Dahlen has yet to prove that he is honest. He's in fact proven himself to be very immature.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

You're assuming it was a 'neanderthal' structure, but Green is not Tortorella. In fact, Green is/was one of the youngest coaches coming into the game. Furthermore, Dahlen did not prove himself on a competing SJ team, which illustrates that the problem is on Dahlen, not the Canucks.

I am sure Dahlen is talented. I was one of the many people that wanted Dahlen to succeed, but he forced Benning to make a trade despite being the only person claiming not to do it (his own agent even contradicts him, as well as Benning).

The timing of when he asked for a trade was also very dumb. He could've used all this time to train for his Canuck debut for this next coming year, but he had to be a primadonna.

Enough defending of Dahlen. Reputation means a lot in most fields of employment - and Benning has already established that as someone who doesn't outright lie. On the other hand, Dahlen has yet to prove that he is honest. He's in fact proven himself to be very immature.

I haven't said anything about Green here...Then we don't know exactly what Dahlen reacted negative about.

15 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

still, tho, JB has yet to pull off that blockbuster signing or trade that catapults us forward

-Quinn- the St Louis Blues trade

-Burke - The Sedin trade

-Keenan ( I hated him) but the Bertuzzi trade, the Morrison trade

-Nonis- the Luongo trade

-Gillis - the Erhoff trade

Not saying where JB ranks amongst these guys but he for the duration he has been here he has not made a big splash trade.

- to be honest I really liked the Miller, Ferland and Myers moves.

- I think he does have assets - Podkolzin, one of our goalies or Dipietro, Madden, Gaudette, Virtanen, tanev,  woo, hell Ferland, miller are players other teams would have interest, especially if thy have good starts to the year- not saying he should trade any of these guys but if the right player was available...

To do this you have to trade a big name ...unless you count the Sedin thing but one of those picks actually came from the Linden deal in a way...

JB only chance at that was the Kesler deal...which although Sutter is still playing didn’t moves the needle much .. Linden deal maybe best all-time given its long lasting right to today ramifications (Markstrom).  Butcher deal was also a big one (Quin) and all those players worked out great for us ..  Bertuzzi for Luongo was a fleecing.  Erhoff trade was rather meh comparatively but I guess that’s the point, - don’t forget we’ve had some foolish ones too, Neely getting the top prize, and the best trade of all Stajanov for Naslund...who had more first place all-star  berths then Stajanov had goals...

edit: to get one of these deals JB would have to trade a core guy in his prime still

Edited by IBatch

GMJB out GM’d again! Buuut AsSeT MaNAGeMeNtZzZ!

:frantic:

See ya later Punk. What an idiot. Had he just not been an entitled brat and cared to push himself he’d be playing with Petey his whole career and riding his coattails to millions of dollars. Instead he’s going to make 125k in Europe, if that. 

Edited by 18W-40C-6W

27 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I haven't said anything about Green here...Then we don't know exactly what Dahlen reacted negative about.

He wasn't happy with the coaching system, but that doesn't mean the system is wrong and you change the system. Seems like most do what they can to get to the next level and the ones who don't want to put in the effort end up walking, which is fine by me.

It seems like the new "modern" style of play is effort on both ends of the ice and playing all as a 5 man unit in support of each other. There's no more of putting players in where they should fit to succeed and you have to earn it. Eriksson is living in this past where his previous coaches just gave him the top 6 spots and now that he has to earn it, he's no longer seeing things eye to eye with the coach. Dahlen seems to be living in this past as well and now he's gone here and SJ may just let him walk as well.

37 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

He wasn't happy with the coaching system, but that doesn't mean the system is wrong and you change the system. Seems like most do what they can to get to the next level and the ones who don't want to put in the effort end up walking, which is fine by me.

It seems like the new "modern" style of play is effort on both ends of the ice and playing all as a 5 man unit in support of each other. There's no more of putting players in where they should fit to succeed and you have to earn it. Eriksson is living in this past where his previous coaches just gave him the top 6 spots and now that he has to earn it, he's no longer seeing things eye to eye with the coach. Dahlen seems to be living in this past as well and now he's gone here and SJ may just let him walk as well.

So, what was Dahlens issue with the coaching system?

I can only guess from how fans behaves on this forum. And that isn't pretty on behalf of the fans... If the coaches think alike the situation in Canada is sheltered from the modern world.

By the way, swedes are among the best regarding team spirit and let the team come first.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

So wait he's going back to the 2nd tier league and not the SHL? Seems like a guy who really doesn't want to challenge himself. 

Team spirit and loyalty seems to be high on his list. If money was important he would have stayed in AHL.

4 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

So, what was Dahlens issue with the coaching system?

I can only guess from how fans behaves on this forum. And that isn't pretty on behalf of the fans... If the coaches think alike the situation in Canada is sheltered from the modern world.

By the way, swedes are among the best regarding team spirit and let the team come first.

Dahlens problem was Dahlen. If it was a coaching issue then he would have excelled in SJ, with the way you talk him up. Clearing coaching is not the issues, because off he goes back to a lesser league over seas.