The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Jonathan Dahlén to Timrå IK

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Is he really considered a top player though? That's the real question.

In Swedens second league he is.

He was the reason Timrå went up to SHL. So if He had stayed in SHL he might have matured enough for NHL.

I think he felt bad when Timrå played bad in SHL and probably thought he would do more good in Sweden compared to AHL. This might one reason he lost some of his play.

If it was so I would have tried to make him feel like that for the Canucks also.

45 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

In Swedens second league he is.

He was the reason Timrå went up to SHL. So if He had stayed in SHL he might have matured enough for NHL.

I think he felt bad when Timrå played bad in SHL and probably thought he would do more good in Sweden compared to AHL. This might one reason he lost some of his play.

If it was so I would have tried to make him feel like that for the Canucks also.

That's a really lame reason.

Pettersson's coach pushed hard for Pettersson to stay in Sweden. Did he "feel bad" and stop playing well in the NHL?

The Raptors pushed hard for Leonard to stay in Toronto. Did Leonard "feel bad" about ditching them?

Now I know you're grasping for straws.

The fact is that Dahlen had difficult adjusting to the AHL level - and he was discontent with how Utica was using him. This is less about speculation and more about the fact that his own agent AND Benning contradicted his statements about "not wanting a trade".

Dahlen didn't even stick it out in North America for one full year before being traded.

Please do not confuse my negative statements about Dahlen with bashing Sweden. I am NOT bashing Sweden. As you mentioned, Sweden has produced legends that are/have been playing in the NHL for many years, namely Forsberg, Sedins, Lundqvist and many, many more to come. On the other hand, Dahlen has a longggg way to go, as talented as he may be, before he can even be mentioned in the same sentence as the ones above (hence he is in another sentence as I have intended). Perhaps Dahlen was immature but he better grow up soon if that is the case. SJ doesn't need players like Dahlen if he's going to be a primadonna.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Team spirit and loyalty seems to be high on his list. If money was important he would have stayed in AHL.

The point I'm making is that he isn't willing to challenge himself, nothing to do with money. He's clearly too good for the Allvenskan and he went back there. Its just such a weird mentality to have for a professional athlete. If he was truly loyal he wouldn't have left Timra in the first place. He would've just stayed in Sweden to get better until he was NHL ready. I mean he's in his D+4 year and not even playing for the SHL for pete's sake. 

Edited by AK_19
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Dahlen probably thought he could play in the NHL but when he couldn't even pass the AHL level even with the sharks, he probably realized that the Canucks were right.

Hell even OTT's GM said that he didn't think Dahlen could make it past the AHL, which i thought was an unprofessional thing to say, but he is/was a noted scout.

Can you verify this? I've looked over the internet and if anything Dorion admits he paid a hefty price for Burrows. 

On 7/24/2019 at 3:42 PM, Canucks Curse said:

still, tho, JB has yet to pull off that blockbuster signing or trade that catapults us forward

-Quinn- the St Louis Blues trade

-Burke - The Sedin trade

-Keenan ( I hated him) but the Bertuzzi trade, the Morrison trade

-Nonis- the Luongo trade

-Gillis - the Erhoff trade

Not saying where JB ranks amongst these guys but he for the duration he has been here he has not made a big splash trade.

- to be honest I really liked the Miller, Ferland and Myers moves.

- I think he does have assets - Podkolzin, one of our goalies or Dipietro, Madden, Gaudette, Virtanen, tanev,  woo, hell Ferland, miller are players other teams would have interest, especially if thy have good starts to the year- not saying he should trade any of these guys but if the right player was available...

I think this is a red herring because if you go back in time, the Canucks have never done a proper rebuild where they drafted and developed their core.  So far, we can identify what could become a legit core and they're all drafted players  Horvat, Boeser, Demko, Pettersson, Hughes......there is no need for a blockbuster trade.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I think this is a red herring because if you go back in time, the Canucks have never done a proper rebuild where they drafted and developed their core.  So far, we can identify what could become a legit core and they're all drafted players  Horvat, Boeser, Demko, Pettersson, Hughes......there is no need for a blockbuster trade.

good point

2 hours ago, AK_19 said:

Can you verify this? I've looked over the internet and if anything Dorion admits he paid a hefty price for Burrows. 

Sens GM Dorion on Jonathan Dahlen: "I have 4 or 5 guys that I'll never trade, and probably this guy was not one of them." #Canucks #NHL

As I try to find the links, I don't see it. Maybe I misremembered what he said, but these two are the closest thing to what I thought he said.

• Upvote 1

On 7/24/2019 at 10:15 PM, Crabcakes said:

I don't get this term GOAT

Sure I get Greatest of all time......and it's a new term.  But Goat used to mean the guy who was blamed for bad things as in Scapegoat.  Like when Virtanen got blamed for the World Junior loss unjustly.  The new useage has pretty much the opposite meaning of the old.  As if the past has absolutely no account.

Fair angle... Let me rephrase. 

Alexandre Burrows is the greatest athlete of all time on and off the ice. God bless his kind soul. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, apollo said:

Fair angle... Let me rephrase. 

Alexandre Burrows is the greatest athlete of all time on and off the ice. God bless his kind soul. 

To be fair, I wasn't questioning your sentiments, only this new definition of an old term which has the opposite meaning.  

Burrows is one of my favorite Canucks of all time, I certainly don't blame him for anything other than Canuck success......FCOAT? :)

• Cheers 1

On 7/26/2019 at 4:09 AM, Dazzle said:

Sens GM Dorion on Jonathan Dahlen: "I have 4 or 5 guys that I'll never trade, and probably this guy was not one of them." #Canucks #NHL

As I try to find the links, I don't see it. Maybe I misremembered what he said, but these two are the closest thing to what I thought he said.

There was also this quote by Dorion in LeDroit:

Nous pensons qu'on n'a pas donné de joueurs qui ont le potentiel d'être des joueurs d'impact dans la LNH », a-t-il dit, citant ses meilleurs espoirs, les Thomas Chabot, Colin White, Logan Brown et le premier choix de cette année, en plus d'autres joueurs qui sont présentement dans les mineures.

google translate:  We think we have not given players who have the potential to be impact players in the NHL, "he said, citing his best hopes, Thomas Chabot, Colin White, Logan Brown and the first choice this year, in addition to other players who are currently in the minors.

• Upvote 1