The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Green should consider staying away from any line combination involving Gaudette, Baertschi, Virtanen, Sutter, Eriksson, and Leivo. Random thought on Quinn Hughes.

Rate this topic

Hindustan Smyl

1 hour ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I don’t think I said otherwise. 

I guess I was being too polite.  What I really meant was that I don't agree and that you have gone into far too much detail for this time of the season.  Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I don’t think I said otherwise. 

I like the werenski kid, but Quinn Hughes is a phenom.  Quinn Hughes gets over 60 points this year, and wins the Calder.  He’s nominated for the Norris too.  

• Upvote 1

Just curious.

What part of my post do people specifically disagree with?   I see a lot of memes, sarcastic responses, and confused emoticons, but do not see much in the way of constructive criticism.

Do the posters disagreeing with me not believe that our bottom 6 would very likely be weak if we went with....

[Ferland-Miller]-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-[Ferland-Miller]

As our top 6, which would leave with us any of the following combinations as our 3rd line (which I believe would be hardpressed to produce consistent offense).

[Baertschi/Eriksson/Leivo]-[Gaudette-Sutter]-[Virtanen/Eriksson/Leivo]

I’m open to suggestions on why I should feel otherwise.

Or - do people disagree with my comments relating to Hughes (ie by the looks of things, Management is expecting Hughes to do big things fairly soon because he’s being given the 2nd pairing LD role right away......and will be expected to substitute immediately in the top pairing should Edler go down).  

• Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like the werenski kid, but Quinn Hughes is a phenom.  Quinn Hughes gets over 60 points this year, and wins the Calder.  He’s nominated for the Norris too.  

Hope you’re right!   

Looks like management are very high on Hughes as well, and don’t really see a huge need to insulate him a whole lot.   I have some reservations about this, but like I said, I had some reservations about Pettersson last year as well (before training camp and what management seemingly expected out of Pettersson right from the get go) and I was happily proven wrong.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Green should consider staying away from any line combination involving Gaudette, Baertschi, Virtanen, Sutter, Eriksson, and Leivo.   Random thought on Quinn Hughes.

Taking all of this into consideration, I am cautiously optimistic.

Bunch of Mean Girls in here.  I appreciate the effort.  Clearly you are a fan who has thought about it, and is just throwing out ideas for discussion.

It is a pretty "random" diatribe though.  What I got from it was....then who's on first? Who's on third?  Unfortunately JB has been presiding over a revolving door of "final pieces" in 3 different waves of acquisitions.  Some he's had to keep because of the contract, others he's let walk for nothing, others he's swapped for similarly talented place holders.  We all hope that this time he has it right, and its at the right time (ie. we finally have a young talented core as our engine), and this new batch of free agents will gel and actually perform BETTER than expectations instead of the other way around.

I take your basic point: that we should distribute talent up and down our lines, instead of concentrating it on the top two.

But we are spent up to the limit now for the next few years. This is it. So we HAVE to play with what we have. They all have to play on a line somewhere. And there is no way I'd let Eriksson anywhere near Horvat. Loui's offence experiment should be over now.  Its either a) Fourth line, b)  PK duties  c) Utica.  Bo deserves to finally play with linemates that can actually play aggressive offensive minded, and skilled. But its a conundrum, where to fit a few of the players he has accumulated in the last past waves of "missing pieces", as well as other draft picks and prospects that have a limited ceiling.  But I just pray pray pray to the Hockey Gods that this time, this new wave, we've got it right with free agency.  Miller doesn't become the new Eriksson, Ferland doesn't morph into a Granlund,  Myers doesn't turn into a Gudbranson, Benn doesn't turn into a Hutton. Or we are screwed royally.

I'm hoping to see Gaudette take another step. Watch Pearson and Leivo, after a season now to adjust, become valuable contributors. (Like a Higgins or Hansen in their prime) And the never ending hope that this is the year that Virtanen realizes his potential. Sutter remains healthy. Not because he's anything special but hes kind of like a jack of all trades, but master of none. And could be moved up and down the lineup with other injuries. I could go down the whole team, but I'm stoked and ready to cheer.  I just wish we'd have kept Luke Schenn.  We are still sorely lacking D with that kind of size and meaness, and could have had him for cheap. Would have been a huge improvement over Biega as a 7th to bring in when we play a bigger team or, dare I say, when we are in the playoffs.

edited to add: He was also great with Quinn. I think his size and aggression helped shield Quinn and gave him the confidence to play more offensively aggressive.  Oh well.

Edited by kilgore
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Hope you’re right!   

Looks like management are very high on Hughes as well, and don’t really see a huge need to insulate him a whole lot.   I have some reservations about this, but like I said, I had some reservations about Pettersson last year as well (before training camp and what management seemingly expected out of Pettersson right from the get go) and I was happily proven wrong.

Hughes’ five games last year really impressed Green.  Green said he sheltered Hughes in game one (14 minutes). By game five Green said he couldn’t stop playing Hughes.  Quinn got over 22 minutes.  None sheltered.  While Quinn was on the ice we out shot the other team 7-3 for every 10 total shots.  He’s a phenom.  He’s got brilliant skills, and he’s super smart.  Plus, he’s hyper compete.  Quinn and Petey are game changing players.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Just curious.

What part of my post do people specifically disagree with?   I see a lot of memes, sarcastic responses, and confused emoticons, but do not see much in the way of constructive criticism.

Do the posters disagreeing with me not believe that our bottom 6 would very likely be weak if we went with....

[Ferland-Miller]-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-[Ferland-Miller]

As our top 6, which would leave with us any of the following combinations as our 3rd line (which I believe would be hardpressed to produce consistent offense).

[Baertschi/Eriksson/Leivo]-[Gaudette-Sutter]-[Virtanen/Eriksson/Leivo]

I’m open to suggestions on why I should feel otherwise.

Or - do people disagree with my comments relating to Hughes (ie by the looks of things, Management is expecting Hughes to do big things fairly soon because he’s being given the 2nd pairing LD role right away......and will be expected to substitute immediately in the top pairing should Edler go down).  

im sure coach green knows what he is doing , its far too early to worry about who plays with who ,  that what training camp and pre season is for , hughes will be fine and no he hasn't been handed 2nd pairing LD  role right away  the season hasn't started yet    just chill   dude  wait till pre season then you can panic 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Baer. said:

I find it easier to imagine Pearson on Petey's line, Miller with Bo and Virtanen on third line.

6 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

That second line seems pretty weak instead though. I'd rather help Bo get to 70-80 points by giving him real wingers than bolster the 3rd line and leave Bo carrying the line

6 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

My idea for Baertechi-Horvat-Virtanen is from 4 years ago (2015 preseason where they looked quite good with one another).  

I still like Miller on that first line though.   Put our best foot forward.

As others have said in this thread however, it’s probably just better to see what happens at camp before making forecasts and penciling in people.  

Off the top top of my head though, I just think that the Canucks could still be at risk in terms of icing a weak bottom 6 (which is if true, will overburden our top players just as it did these past few seasons).

I just want to go over the logic of putting your best players on the top two lines.

1. You get more out of your best players by playing them with other top players than by separating them  A great shooter like Boeser is wasted if he is not playing with someone who can pass him the puck. Similarly, a great playmaker is wasted if the guys he is playing with don't shoot well or don't have the hockey IQ to get in position to get good chances very often.

2. The top lines get more ice time, especially in offensive situations. You don't want to bury one of your best offensive players in the bottom 6 where he gets a lot of D-zone starts and less ice-time overall.

3. The reason people have Miller penciled in on the first line is that he is a very good passer. Putting him with EP and Boeser should help all three players. Miller also adds some size and toughness to that line. He appears to be a good complement to EP and Boeser. It might not work out and I still think the Canucks gave up too much for Miller, but on paper that looks like a good first line.

4. The second line is less obvious, but the best chance the Canucks have is to put Horvat with the highest quality wingers they can. Pearson appears to be the best bet for one of those slots. The other winger position I think is open for competition. Ferland is a strong candidate, but so is Baertschi. Leivo and Virtanen will also contend for that spot, and there are other possibilities as well. But the issue will be mainly about getting the best 2nd line possible, not about spreading out scoring. 

5. The Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen line was good in a couple of preseason games in 2015. That was a long time ago and a very small sample against teams with a lot of AHL level players in the line-up (i.e. in preseason). In later auditions that line never did much.

6. The Canucks should actually have a pretty good bottom 6. The would include a very good shutdown line with Beagle, Eriksson and maybe Sutter (expensive for a shutdown line, but good). And that leaves other guys for the other line who can contribute to the physical game, the speed game, provide pretty good defence, and provide reasonable secondary scoring. The guys available will probably include Virtanen, Leivo, Gaudette, Motte and either Ferland or Baertschi. (Barring injury, I am not seeing a lot of room for Goldy unless he has a great preseason.)

Edited by JamesB
  • Upvote 2

The bottom six main job is to shut down the oppositions best players. Extra scoring is a bonus.

Our top six should feel pressure to produce offence; that's their main purpose on the team. Keeping our skilled forwards together increases their chances of producing.

Hughes will play mostly with our scoring lines and the tough match up minutes will go to our other defenders.

Blah blah blah.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

The bottom six main job is to shut down the oppositions best players. Extra scoring is a bonus.

Our top six should feel pressure to produce offence; that's their main purpose on the team. Keeping our skilled forwards together increases their chances of producing.

Hughes will play mostly with our scoring lines and the tough match up minutes will go to our other defenders.

Blah blah blah.

The primary role of the bottom 6 should be to shut down opponents, but they can’t  be completely deficient and impotent at scoring either.......like has been the case for us the past four years.   That’s my point.

I think the Canucks might be at a point this coming season where they’d be able to roll out three lines that could produce......while still having a bottom 6 that primarily focused on shutting down.