The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Dog Days of Summer (Discussion)

Rate this topic

J.I.A.H.N

Saw an interesting Louie Eriksson for Ryan Kesler proposal....followed that up by going to capfriendly and studying the nature of the contract structures....god I wish it was hockey season already, so bored!  It is a quiet summer, other than the politics, weather, and news cycle.  Want to enjoy it, but truly hoping we get to October so I can see what this team will do.  We're so much better on paper than last year, and last year we were 5 wins out of a playoff spot.  If we can just keep the injury bug at bay and get some officiating that doesn't make me want to puke, we shall be entertained!

1 hour ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Yep.

Having so many unknowns going into this season is a bit unnerving. It was a big sink or swim off season by Benning, now we just have to wait to see how it pans out.

Dude, it's swim, we missed the PO's by a short margin with the D we had and no Ferland or Miller, and a gruelling schedule that's a bit better this season so I'd be inclined to think about position instead of sink or swim. Going to be a fun to watch season... When it finally gets here that is so I'm with the op, yawnnnnn! Glad I work so it's tolerable at least but still it's thumb twittling time waiting. Especially in prince george that doesn't have near the things to do that I did in Vancouver.. ok great, add homesick to that list.. ugh. :(

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 2

I'm thoroughly enjoying the break from hockey, and even some of my other sports. I'm usually playing spring soccer and watching a lot of rugby, but have been going to the beach and getting out instead. I know we'll see Boeser signed, and we kinda know what we have in the players we picked up, so it's just letting camp come and the season start.

But I've got Holik (Jeff Carter a close second!) against Richter.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Solinar said:

Saw an interesting Louie Eriksson for Ryan Kesler proposal....followed that up by going to capfriendly and studying the nature of the contract structures....god I wish it was hockey season already, so bored!  It is a quiet summer, other than the politics, weather, and news cycle.  Want to enjoy it, but truly hoping we get to October so I can see what this team will do.  We're so much better on paper than last year, and last year we were 5 wins out of a playoff spot.  If we can just keep the injury bug at bay and get some officiating that doesn't make me want to puke, we shall be entertained!

Well, the new lineup of Canucks is starting to get married.  May as well trade for Kesler and I think we probably have the cap room to sign Jeff Brown to the league minimum.

• Haha 2

I'm really excited for hockey (with the changes we've made), more so this year than previous years, but I still dont want it to be right around the corner. At this point I'm just enjoying summer, trying to hit the golf course a bit more.

The worst time of year I find is late August & September. By late Aug I'm craving the start of the season, then camp/pre-season comes & gets old very fast. U just want the month to be over & the puck to drop for real.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, nzan said:

Someone posted on Twitter today that your life depends on:

A - the best NHL player who shares your birthdate scoring a shootout goal against

B - the Stanley Cup winning goaltender from the year you graduated high school

I've got Mats Naslund (nor Markus!) going up against Tom Barrasso.

I think I'll live to see another couple dog days of summer.

I got Bergeron vs Roy....

No not this Bergeron..... PB.jpeg.22ca24a17cf42a47d1281912b6ccf16b.jpeg

But this one...JCB.jpg.a3f4452cdf8a8b6f2d7550df468a11cb.jpg

Against this Roy....Roy03.jpg.d9019159d10b17732533b54172a94435.jpg

Good luck with that!!!!

@janisahockeynut the only thing you are missing is a few cold beers and to throw some shrimps on the BBQ.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, nzan said:

Someone posted on Twitter today that your life depends on:

A - the best NHL player who shares your birthdate scoring a shootout goal against

B - the Stanley Cup winning goaltender from the year you graduated high school

I've got Mats Naslund (nor Markus!) going up against Tom Barrasso.

I think I'll live to see another couple dog days of summer.

Sydney Crosby scoring on Chris Osgood.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Albeit, Brock Boeser is has not signed, but after the fury of the Draft and Free Agency, I find the last weeks of July and August to be so boring on the hockey front and really have a hard time getting exited over the  sparse moves, issues and topics...……. it pretty much happens every year

My only issue at this time, is the manipulation of the cap ceiling, and how teams are using LTIR to circumvent the cap...…..that is about it. I watch with mild interest as teams try to sign their RFA's and still stay within the cap, but again, they will do it, and life will go on...…..

Maybe it is me, as late June and early July were a lot of fun, and now with few moves to make, Benning is taking a small break...……..

Anyone else struggling with how quiet it is?

Other than a life, am I missing something?

Nah, lots of interesting stuff in summers as players are moving around, development camps, youth camps etc. etc.    It was nice to see how well Canucks did at draft and during the FA period (Edler included).   Canucks team is so far different from the one that existed on the day Linden was fired.    Quite the transformation and there is actual jobs on the line between legitimate NHL players at camp for the first time in a long while in Canuck land.

Enjoy the next four to six weeks Jan, it is going to be a very interesting season.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Nah, lots of interesting stuff in summers as players are moving around, development camps, youth camps etc. etc.    It was nice to see how well Canucks did at draft and during the FA period (Edler included).   Canucks team is so far different from the one that existed on the day Linden was fired.    Quite the transformation and there is actual jobs on the line between legitimate NHL players at camp for the first time in a long while in Canuck land.

Enjoy the next four to six weeks Jan, it is going to be a very interesting season.

Thanks Rob

I guess my thoughts were that there is just not a lot to say at this time of year, and for me, that is a real shocker to the system...…...:wacko:

But just after I pumped out this post, my buddy picked me up, and we drove down to Victoria from Nanaimo and played Highlands Golf Course...first time there, and it was a great course...highly recommend it.  Played 3 man best ball, and we lost by 1 stroke! I lost $3.25...….man!!!!! Seriously a great course though!

But back to reality, which is we were spoiled the last month, with every thing going on...….it has just slowed down, which is fine, but I agree, I just think you have to look a little harder that is all...…………….

All is good!

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Thanks Rob

I guess my thoughts were that there is just not a lot to say at this time of year, and for me, that is a real shocker to the system...…...:wacko:

But just after I pumped out this post, my buddy picked me up, and we drove down to Victoria from Nanaimo and played Highlands Golf Course...first time there, and it was a great course...highly recommend it.  Played 3 man best ball, and we lost by 1 stroke! I lost $3.25...….man!!!!! Seriously a great course though!

But back to reality, which is we were spoiled the last month, with every thing going on...….it has just slowed down, which is fine, but I agree, I just think you have to look a little harder that is all...…………….

All is good!

Ha ha ... I’m in Nanaimo too right now and have been for a few days visiting family and friends on the Island for a couple weeks. No golf (yet) but thanks for the tip.   Dog days of summer for sure..but at least I can smell the ocean again.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, goalie13 said:

No struggle here.  Although I do check in to CDC from time to time (especially when I should be working) but this time of year I tend to spend my free time outside.  Golfing, swimming, camping, hiking.  All better things to do than worry about what JB might do next.

I just want camp to start, but also don't want summer to end!

1 hour ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

I got Bergeron vs Roy....

No not this Bergeron..... PB.jpeg.22ca24a17cf42a47d1281912b6ccf16b.jpeg

But this one...JCB.jpg.a3f4452cdf8a8b6f2d7550df468a11cb.jpg

Against this Roy....Roy03.jpg.d9019159d10b17732533b54172a94435.jpg

Good luck with that!!!!

@janisahockeynut the only thing you are missing is a few cold beers and to throw some shrimps on the BBQ.

Kopitar vs Barasso - Kopitar all day

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Yep.

Having so many unknowns going into this season is a bit unnerving. It was a big sink or swim off season by Benning, now we just have to wait to see how it pans out.

Not sure I agree about the sink part. This coming season will be a FAR better one than what we have been put through over the past decade. We are gonna swim. I feel Benning did what ownership wanted this offseason - which was to make us a playoff team. I think that buys him time and will at least short term make him look very favourable.

Now, comes the questions you speak of.  How good are we?  Are we only a few tweaks away from a cup? Will our prospects and current young guys develop as hoped?  These are the sort of questions which can only be fully answered over the next 2-3 years imo... as you say, we need to wait and see.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Not sure I agree about the sink part. This coming season will be a FAR better one than what we have been put through over the past decade. We are gonna swim. I feel Benning did what ownership wanted this offseason - which was to make us a playoff team. I think that buys him time and will at least short term make him look very favourable.

Now, comes the questions you speak of.  How good are we?  Are we only a few tweaks away from a cup? Will our prospects and current young guys develop as hoped?  These are the sort of questions which can only be fully answered over the next 2-3 years imo... as you say, we need to wait and see.

If I had to predict an outcome now with he deals in place, what we have in the pipe, Bennings draft record and GM record as a whole appearing like he’s learning on the job and getting better and various elements, I’d say in three years we should be a top three team in this division for a five-seven year stretch (maybe starting early).   That’s 5-7 shots at playoff success.   Not sure how dominant we will be but the potential is there.  More then I expected post Sedin, and for that I’m grateful. 

I just went to Wyoming for a week where I thought there was no way I'd be talking hockey with anyone.

As it turned out, I ended up having beers with a Bruins fan from Maine and the bartender was from Pittsburgh, a diehard Pens fan who grew up in the Lemieux era. Despite the typical Canucks mockery, it was interesting to hear them both admit the Canucks are going to be good in the next few years. Both were also looking forward to a Vancouver - Seattle rivalry.

So, I was trying to take a break from hockey in Cowboyland but hockey found me. 

• Like 1