The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada's development of Hockey prospects trending down?

Rate this topic

On 7/27/2019 at 6:45 PM, cyoung said:

Youth hockey too expensive. Weeds out so many potential players, to play top end hockey you need lots of money. Really hate the state of our programs.

Yip. Add to that the type of player born from that. Gone are the farm boys from Sask that were hard working, heart and soul. Now, it's a spoiled kid who's parents can afford all the camps and sessions. Leipsic on a pig. I am heavily involved in youth hockey and other sports for that matter. It's a mess that is weeding out the average family from the higher level rep programs. I have predicted a downfall in Canadian hockey for awhile now. 

Edited by rekker
  • Upvote 1

Will echo the prohibitive requirements of time and $$$ for parents. Turns hockey into a semi-elitist sport.

Also, with 10X the population to draw from, it was only a matter of time before Bettman's plan for world domination started producing large #s of American prospects. 

Is Canad trending down? Maybe. I don't think it's realistic to hope for sustained world dominance that we enjoyed for 100 years.

Not everybody has 10k a year to have your kid playing rep hockey in the winter and spring league through the summer. Fact of the matter is hockey is now even more than ever a rich man's sport.

It's not necessarily a lack of talent but just less of a pool to draw from because fewer and fewer are playing the game because family's simply can't afford it. When I grew up it seemed almost every kid played hockey at some point in their lives where today its changed. 

Canada will always pump out elite talent at the highest level but the days of completely dominating the landscape are over as other countries are catching up and its honestly a good thing. New Zealand is and always probably will be the best rugby union country in the world but even the kiwis agree it's good for the sport when other countries beat them as it keeps the game strong on a global level. 

Edited by Pickly