The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Possible Dark Horse Candidates for Canucks Captaincy 2019

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

4 hours ago, VforVirtanen said:

Can’t believe how many people are actually taking this seriously. I popped on here only to suggest Louie Eriksson as a goof but the op beat me to it and then some. 

When you’ve read enough silly proposals as some of us have anything is seems plausible on this site (as in the poster is actually serious.  Never got to the TG part but see the humour now.  Some suggestions on this site seem like plausible ones in comparisons.   Like signing guys for ridiculous amounts or trading three garbage guys for a star. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

Hello CDC!

Long time forum lurker here and I am really looking forward to the 50th anniversary season! Especially hyped for some sweet Petey dekes! So I decided to write up a little post here discussing a big upcoming role to be filled on our beloved hockey club.

The general consensus among our fanbase is that Mr. Horvat will be the next to step into the shoes of Canucks Captain, in the line of the greats like Trevor Linden, Markus Naslund, Roberto Luongo (lol) and whichever one of the Sedin bros that it was that was captain (you know as well as I do you can't tell them apart).

However, I think that Bo will ultimately plateau as a strong third line center as his potential seems very limited as far as skillset and it begs the question, do you put the C on the most talented player (Pettersson) instead? Or do you not want an extremely young alien leading the hockey club?

I was actually mulling over some uncommon choices and I figured I would present my take to you fine folks out there in Canuck land so that we can decide who the captain should be and then send a petition to Benningsauce that he should name that player as the captain.

Scenario 1: The bridge captain - Alex Edler

Definitely regarded as our "veteran" on the backend along with Chris Tanev (Who obviously can't be named captain due to the likelihood that he plays 20 games or less), since Edler is only on a 2 year deal, we could kinda use him as a stopgap measure for the captaincy and then throw it on Petey or Boeser or Hughes (not Bo though please as like I said he is a great leader but has very limited hockey skills).

Scenario 2: Russian dictatorship - Tryamkin

WHEN the big Russian tree returns to glorious city of Vancouver, pinning a C to his sweater would definitely reaffirm to his fragile ego that he is a valuable asset to our team and community. Plus, I bet Goldobin and Podz would be fired up, and if you name both of them Alternate Captains then they could have a blast trash talking the refs in Russian and the league would never know the wiser (to punish us)

Scenario 3: Lighting a fire - Loui Eriksson

If there's any player in Vancouver that could use a bit of a vote of confidence, it's Mr. Eriksson. Once an elite goal scorer in a terrible city like Boston, he has become complacent in the beautiful city we live in. And after numerous months of being dragged through the mud by fans and media alike, wouldn't it be a huge surprise to see this stud named Captain and ultimate role model for our young Canucks. I could see him potting 40+ and winning Conn Smythe if we were to fasten the C to his sweater.

Scenario 4: Fin

As a fun joke, for the first game of the season of course, and then swerve the audience and award the C between the 3rd period and overtime to one of these candidates I've listed.

Scenario 5: Goalie gets the nod - Demko

I don't really agree with everyone around here that Luongo was a terrible choice for captain. Imagine how sweet Demko's lid would look with a big C on the side? Plus, he's American, so the refs and Gary Buttman wouldn't hate on us as much for being a Canadian team maybe? I know this is a long shot but I think Demko can definitely afford to handle the pressure and distractions of being the Cap.

Scenario 6: New Blood - Myers or Ferland

A defenseman that's like 8 feet tall would be an intimidating force as leader. Or Ferland the human wrecking ball who is definitely tougher than Lucic and will be steamrolling opponents left, right, and center this season and for many years to come. Can't go wrong naming beefy players like this to lead the team.

Scenario 7: Bench Captain - Travis Green

Green doesn't get enough respect around here and I think that this ultimate dark-horse choice would be great for a couple of reasons. Number one, he doesn't have to deal with the distraction of playing hockey and could focus his full attention and energy on arguing with the referees. Plus, if we named Loui as his assistant, they would probably be able to become friends again and the bond forged would be unstoppable, again in all probability propelling Loui to a 40+++ goal season and redeeming himself in the process to all the Canucks naysayers.

Let me know what you guys think down in the thread below and as always thank you for reading!

Stopped reading right here lol . Bo is already a proven top six stud.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Damn it I fell for the trolling

Many of us did.  Thing is, if you want people to be entertained by your wit you can't throw down their Captain because them's fightin' words.  You lose them at that point and it gets ugly.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, PrinceGeorgeGoon said:

Captain wishlist.

Bo Horvat

Elias Pettersson 

Derek Dorsett

Troy Stecher

Alex Burrows

Brock Boeser

Jacob Markstrom

Quinn Hughes 

Antoine Rousse

Nils Hoglander

Tony Robbins.

My Captain Wish List:

Bo

Petey

Tony Stecher

Eddie

Burr (name him captain and watch the noobs of the league scramble to try to find a way to suspend him..."where even IS he?")

Rambo

Juice (he can just stay home and captain remotely)

Ricky Gervais

17 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Honestly, I think we should give the captaincy back to Luongo. I know that he's "technically" not a Canuck any more and that he's "technically" retired, but it just seems like the right thing to do. 

Bingo.  Make him earn the $3MM cap hit.  He can sit on the bench and yell at the Ref's from there.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

My Captain Wish List:

Bo

Petey

Tony Stecher

Eddie

Burr (name him captain and watch the noobs of the league scramble to try to find a way to suspend him..."where even IS he?")

Rambo

Juice (he can just stay home and captain remotely)

Ricky Gervais

I'm on board with that choice. It would be hilarious.

• Upvote 1