Sign in to follow this  
HockeyHarry

Future 3rd line Center Battle

Rate this topic

Its the dog days of summer.  This is just future speculation. Theses no right or wrong answers.

If Gaudette and Madden both pan out is there room on the team for both these guys on the team? Both have great potential to be great NHL 3rd line centers on any NHL team and both I don’t ever see as 4th line players. Also IMO if either of these guys are in a top 6 role on the Canucks then there’s something wrong with the roster. Furthermore I don’t see them playing together on the 3rd line. Yes Madden could be used on the Wing but is that the ideal future 3rd line?

Also Where’s Hoglanders place in the lineup.

whats your future 3rd line? With current in the organization players. I do like alot of the Canuck prospects I’m just having an interesting time placing them in the line up.

My hope is it’s Loui E less future.

Go Canucks Go

Like I said in another post, it never hurts to have 5 NHL quality centers (or even more).  If one manages one's cap space and player egos correctly that is attainable and possibly even essential for a competitive team.  Injuries happen, it doesn't hurt to plan for them (pardon the pun).  Go Canucks Go!

Edited by nux_win

You can never have enough centers. I do have questions about both Gaudette and Madden though. With Gaudette, I question his offensive creativity. He works hard every shift, but I wonder about his ability to center a line in the NHL that will be expected to provide some offense. His offense seems pretty bare bones to me. However, he's still young and he'll have the opportunity to work with better players. I'm by no means writing him off. In fact, I expect his production to swing upward in the coming years. It's just something I feel he should work on.

With Madden, I worry about his size. It's hard for me to imagine a kid as slight as him slotting in to a bottom 6 center position in the NHL. I can see Madden eventually switching over to wing, at which point I think his opportunity to make it in the NHL will increase. I could even see him playing in the top 6 eventually if he moves over to the wing. 

Bottom line is I see more offensive potential in Madden then I do in Gaudette, but I see Gaudette being more well suited to the 3C role than Madden.

As far as Hoglander goes, I actually have higher hopes for him than I do Podkolzin. The kid's hands are absolutely nuts, and despite his height, he's built like a brick $&!#house. His strength, coupled with his low center of gravity, should make it really hard for opposing players to knock him off the puck. I think his finishing ability could use some work, but if he works on that, or has a true sniper on his line, I could see him exceeding every reasonable projection.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2

Gaudette showed a lot that is good this past season imo but I think that he badly needs some time in Utica to develop his offensive skills for the next level.  He showed some serious offense in his final year at Northeastern (30-30-60 in 38 games) to win the Hobey Baker which is not an easy thing to do.  Granted, college is college and not the NHL.  He plays a physical game and is listed at only 170 which I am sure he is working on this summer because he did say that his size didn't allow him to play his game at the NHL level.

To my mind, Madden is a late bloomer in terms of his physical size.  Drafted at 152 lbs, this player was very much undersized but they look at the parents to get an idea of a kids ultimate playing weight.  His father, former Selke winner, John Madden, played at 190 so if Tyler can approach that, we shouldn't be worried.  The speedy centre had a strong season in his D+1 year going 12-16-28 in 36 games in his rookie season at Northeastern which is comparable to Gaudette's rookie numbers (12-18-30 in 41 games).

They're similar players in terms of size, speed and skill so it's really a pick-em at this point.  Gaudette (22) is 3 years older.

• Hydration 1

To be honest, this depends a lot on actually where Bo and EP hit their celings(or look like they are) in 2-3 years. Ie, if say around 2022 summer we see EP being an elite 90-100pointer 1C and Bo having a 0.9-1ppg pace while doing a Selke like job for the team, then the need for other two centres effectively become that of ‘ do not screw it up, no flash needed 3C’ and ‘defensive dream/ideal 4C’ needs. 

In such a scenario, we are likely keeping Gaudette and trading Madden for other benefits. Or trading them both and trading for the Manny Malhotra and Jay Beagle of the current times. 

If however, EP and BO underachieve- say BOs ceiling becomes 50-60 pointer and EP is a 70-80 pointer guy, we may need the offensively flashy defensively reliable 3C and ‘ideal 4C’ guy. Then Madden May win out. 

Gaudette and Madden are both at least  2-4 years away from being fully developed, only then will we know what we have in them however In 2 years  I think a 3rd line of Hoglander Madden Podkolzin would be very entertaining!

Nothing wrong with converting both into wingers.

Gaud is a very straightforward player, he'd be a good 2RW or 3C if he can find some finish.

Haven't seen too much of Madden, but from what I have seen I don't really see him ever cutting it as an NHL centreman. He's got a great tool kit, but as mentioned by 48, he's too small for C.

I'd love to be wrong about both players though.

In a dream world Gaudette develops into a bonafide top 6 C and Madden goes full Paul Kariya.

What a fantastic problem that would be.

• Hydration 2

I think both players can move to the wing if need be but I see Madden as more of a center. From what I’ve seen he’s very good defensively and it seems he has more offensive/playmaking upside. If either of these guys don’t pan out like we hope there is still a 4th line role for them. As for Hoglander, he seems like a guy you can plug in anywhere and he can be effective.

Take Pierre Mcguire for what he is, I personally like the guy. I remember him on the radio talking about Gaudette not along ago. (March 2019)

Pierre McGuire on Gaudette: I see him as a legitimate top-six forward. I can see him being a 50-70 point forward in the league, and maybe higher than that. Adam's a tremendously talented player.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/mcguire-see-gaudette-eventually-as-top-six-forward-50-70-point-player-1.1270226

• Hydration 1

9 hours ago, canuckmen84 said:

Gaudette and Madden are both at least  2-4 years away from being fully developed, only then will we know what we have in them however In 2 years  I think a 3rd line of Hoglander Madden Podkolzin would be very entertaining!

I really doubt we would set up a 3rd line with only rookies. Probably a mix of Virtanen, Baertschi, Roussel, Ferland etc... with 1 or 2 of those youngsters