The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Canucks will win the cup once Bo Horvat becomes the true 3rd line center.

Rate this topic

jptony604

1 minute ago, BrockBoester said:

Inb4 you get blasted by Deb lol

But I WOULD admit that if Bo was our 3rd C we'd have a pretty stacked 1C/2C and if we'd be able to roll three lines consistently with great players like that then I wouldn't complain and I'm sure Bo wouldn't either being such a team-first kinda guy.

Still think we should wait to put the C on big Tryamkin though ;)

source.gif

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Horvat is a borderline 1st line center, a bonafide 2nd line center right now. He’s nowhere near  3rd liner and won’t be for many years.

There was a stat last year where Horvat, like 4/5ths the way thru the season, had been listed on the game day roster with by far the most players of anyone in the entire NHL.  Something like 19-12. He is something different than just a 1st or 2nd line center. He is a very interesting 'elite glue guy'. And a center, on a crazy good contract too. He reminds me a lot of Rod Brind'Amour. Not quite an elite star 1st line center, but able to put up points behind one on good teams, and be that guy on not so good teams.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, xereau said:

There was a stat last year where Horvat, like 4/5ths the way thru the season, had been listed on the game day roster with by far the most players of anyone in the entire NHL.  Something like 19-12. He is something different than just a 1st or 2nd line center. He is a very interesting 'elite glue guy'. And a center, on a crazy good contract too. He reminds me a lot of Rod Brind'Amour. Not quite an elite star 1st line center, but able to put up points behind one on good teams, and be that guy on not so good teams.

elite-glue-.jpg

• Cheers 1

Bo is continuing on pace, which is ~two years ahead of Kesler's point pace and emergence as a top 1b2a3a prototype center.

He is a passable 1st line guy when he's been given the big offensive chances. And also been the guy behind an elite emerging center now for a year, and put up an okay season as the 2a. But it was when Sutter and Beagle were both out, that Bo did extremely well, and had his highest offensive numbers of the season in the shut down role.. And, well, he merely led the league in faceoffs, and STILL managed to stay ahead of the Kesler point curve.  Bo is a very interesting player to have around the team, long term.

He is just now coming into his early prime. BIG, big things to come from this young man.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I see no way as long as Bo is in his prime that he ever drops to third line center . Just can't see AG improving that much to be better than Bo . No one other than EP in the organization will be better than him for a long time . Can't see the Canucks trading for another top center or spending the money and cap space in free agency for one . I always get the same feeling watching Bo as I did watching smyl and Linden in their prime , I know different types of players but same feeling . Hard workers that brought their teams together and that was when there teams were both bad and good . You want Bo on the ice as much as he can handle be nice to see a more offensive roll for his line this year  

Edited by Nurnge

1 minute ago, Nurnge said:

I see no way as long as Bo is in his prime that he ever drops to third line center . Just can't see AG improving that much to be better than Bo . No one in the organization will be better than him for a long time . Can't see the Canucks trading for another top center or spending the money and cap space in free agency for one . I always get the same feeling watching Bo as I did watching smyl and Linden in their prime , I know different types of players but same feeling . Hard workers that brought their teams together and that was when there teams were both bad and good . You want Bo on the ice as much as he can handle be nice to see a more offensive roll for his line this year  

Except petey who already is lol.

• Upvote 1

Our last cup run was thanks to a lot of factors and by far one of the biggest was due to how amazing Kesler played. He was a man possessed and battled for every inch. People may feel differently about the guy now which is fine, but damn he was incredible. 

We are very lucky that it seems we have that player again in Horvat (with a better attitude as a bonus).  Let's not disrespect the value he has on this team. Horvat is for sure a top 2C in the NHL right now and continues to only get better. His 2 way game is excellent and his season last year was done with an ever changing lineup of wingers (both middle 6 and bottom 6 players). He brings great leadership for a young player, an excellent cap hit and is only now looking to be hitting his prime. If he wins the Selke someday that would not surprise me in the slightest. This guy isn't going to be "good" for another few years. He turned 24 a few months ago and could very well play at this level and beyond for the next 6-8 years. Then at that time he can slide down into the 3C role if needed and will likely excel at that position too. 

I'm not too big on over hyping young players - I think Elias and Quinn are going to be great, but I'm expecting around 60-70 points for Peaty and 30ish for Hughes next year (and that'll be a great step for them), but with Horvat you can see the fire in the guy whenever he is on the ice. He's not gonna be our leading scorer maybe, but he'll do everything for this team. 

Sorry for the long winded post, TLDR give the guy the C and fingers crossed he's a Canucks until the day he retires. 

• Upvote 3

Once the letter "C" goes on Bo's jersey,that's right I said it,Bo is our Captain and will be when we finally win our first Stanley Cup.

BO "THE OX" HORVAT, is very capable of lifting this team and the whole city of Vancouver and province of B.C. to victory for our first Stanley Cup.

So Shall It Be Written, So Shall It Be Done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jptony604 said:

I love Bo Horvat as a player. He plays hard, goes to the tough areas and just what you need in the playoffs. But I think he lacks finesse and on a stacked NHL team I believe he would be an amazing third line center. As a tough to play against guy that can shut guys down and get points at the same time. We finally have a PMD we all been looking for in Hughes and a true number one center in Pettersson. Few more years under their belts I think they should be able to reach the levels I claim.

The best thing (that I think) can happen for this team is to miss the playoffs for one more year with all our vets healthy and actually playing. That way we can offload salaries like Sutter, Tanev, maybe Beagle maybe Pearson and maybe just maybe even Louie Eriksson and get something back in return (I know Louie won’t bring back any value) Maybe even pull off a trade involving Virtanen and Baer to bring in more high picks. Maybe we get lucky in the draft and we are able to draft a 1B type center and with Podkolzin, Hoglander and Madden coming I think once those types of puzzles start coming in place for this team then maybe we can win a cup. 

Do you believe that Horvat is a 1c or 2c for this team till the end for as long as he’s in his prime playing well the way he’s playing now. 

What do do you guys think? 

Without having read anything past this, and assuming my comment has not yet explicitly been said, I believe that if Horvat is the 3rd line center on the Canucks then the Canucks are either really, really, really good at center, or Horvat has had an unexpected downturn in his career.

I'd prefer the former.

regards,  G.

• Upvote 1

Horvat and Monahan have been on a very similar path. I would still take Bo as he shows a better 200' game and ooozes leadership.

Monahan scored 82P as a 1st line center on a contender

I believe Horvat would have produced the same if he had Goudreau and Lindholm flanking him.

Instead he ran through probably 8 different wingers over last year, so with our new signings he could easily add 20-30% to his point total.

He is a very good 2nd Center that can easily slot into 1st line if Petey goes down.

If he is ever a 3rd line center we will be in serious cap trouble.. just sayin

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1