The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do You Have Confidence In The Canucks Front Office..?

Rate this topic

Honky Cat

Some of the questions were kind of hard to answer accurately.

”Drafting and Developing”

... drafting 4/5... developing 2/5... so do you answer 3 and does that really reflect your feelings.

Drafting has been reasonably solid, aside from Virtanen and Juolevi, pretty much every player would have been drafted higher if you looked back and did it again at draft year +1.

When JB is left heaping praise on Brisebois after being asked about players that have developed on the farm... that is pretty damning.  We need some dark horse guys to come out of later rounds and develop in the minors to the point they can be regular contributors for the big team.  It isn’t happening, and our successes are college and European guys who largely bypass the farm team.

I have to say that aside from drafting, which was a mess... I felt more confident in the Gillis/Gilman regime.  They were able to articulate a clear vision to the fans and execute it reasonably well.

You can blame ownership, but it is also the GMs job to mange the owner.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

Mr Benning and company are doing the best they can and considering the empty cupboards they had not too long ago,and not having any LUCK, at the lotto draft, we went the wrong direction for an unprecedented 4 years in a row.

The team is improving slowly but surely and other than just a few bad contracts and some players taking longer to mature into their designated rolls we could be contenders again very soon.

So it is a YES,for me on the confidence factor.

• Cheers 1

A lot of posters are conflating GM with "Front Office" 

On the website, Front Office comprises 15 individuals:- 

3 Aquilinis (Governor and 2 Alternate Governors)

Benning (GM), Weisbrod (Assistant GM) and Smyl (Assistant to GM)

Carroll (COO), 1 EVP and 6 VPs

Doyle (Pres of an Aquilini sub)

For the body of work for which "The Front Office" is responsible, IMO, yes. I have confidence in them.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

why?

I think JB has done a great job..

Ferland was supposed to be getting 5 mill, JB dropped him down to 3.5 like thats a steal

Benn and Myers also great signings, Myers shouldve little less but hey thats FA for you

He is getting better, but that is because the team is also more desirable to play for again. He definitely hasn't done a great job prior to this off season and the Horvat signing. Still don't like giving up a 1st round pick for Miller. I still wish he would stick with scouting/development and let someone handle contracts/trades. 

It's the ownership I don't have confidence in. I feel they are too invested in the team. Typically these big boys let their employees handle things and stay out of it. Numerous reports show they have been very, if not too, involved in the daily operations. 

Imho I see if Aqua gave the green light for a rebuild from the get go back in 2012-13 this team wouldn't have gone through these past few years of swings and turmoil. A clear direction was needed. Aqua was seesawing between rebuild and generating as much  money as possible. That's where the "rebuild on the fly" originated from. 

Edited by RRypien37

1 hour ago, Provost said:

... drafting 4/5... developing 2/5... so do you answer 3 and does that really reflect your feelings.

Drafting has been reasonably solid, aside from Virtanen and Juolevi, pretty much every player would have been drafted higher if you looked back and did it again at draft year +1.

When JB is left heaping praise on Brisebois after being asked about players that have developed on the farm... that is pretty damning.  We need some dark horse guys to come out of later rounds and develop in the minors to the point they can be regular contributors for the big team.  It isn’t happening, and our successes are college and European guys who largely bypass the farm team.

I have to say that aside from drafting, which was a mess... I felt more confident in the Gillis/Gilman regime.  They were able to articulate a clear vision to the fans and execute it reasonably well.

I think this is a pretty fair take. The drafting has been, for the most part, really solid, and in some cases stellar, but the development side of things has been pretty subpar imho. The higher end prospects that we've had make the lineup over the past few years (Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Gaudette to a lesser extent) have all basically arrived NHL ready, and a lot of the prospects that have needed more development in our farm system have either stayed relatively status quo, not met their potential, or have regressed since joining the farm. Lind, Gadjovic, Virtanen, Jasek, Palmu etc... are players that come to mind. Not saying that these players can't still pan out, but it seems to me as though a lot of the better teams in the league have guys from later in the draft that have panned out or even exceeded expectations on their main rosters and contributing in a pretty significant way, while we're pretty lacking in that regard. I would go so far as to say that the only player drafted outside of the first round during Benning's tenure that is contributing to our team in a significant way is Demko. Everyone else is either a work in progress, simply hasn't panned out, or has moved on. 

The the credit of this regime, we've done a very good job developing our goaltenders. Markstrom developed in our system, and Demko has done the same, and it looks like both are going to be pretty significant success stories. 

His free agent signings and trades have been pretty meh, but his more recent trades are a lot better than his earlier ones, so he's definitely improving in that regard. This was a big offseason for free agents as well. We'll see how these contracts look in a few years, but I like what he's done this offseason a lot more than I have any of his previous offseasons.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Me too. Benning said he wanted to improve the top six, he went out and got two top six forwards. Might have paid a bit much for one, but you gotta give to get. He said he was gonna change the defense, he went out and got Tyler Myers and Jordie Benn. Last season was enjoyable for the most part, but next season is gonna be even better. 

And the season after that and the season after that, trending in the right direction. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Josepho said:

benning has made so many attempts trading for or signing defencemen, and basically none of them worked out. quite literally none of them have worked out if we're talking about acquiring proven nhl players.

why are we so confident this one will?

3 years of Willie and Doug and now 3rd year of Greenie and Baumer, and players like Guber and Hutton stagnate.

I think at some point in his career Greenie will be a good coach, probably the team after the next one he coaches, but right now he is earning his stripes at the Canucks expence. I think with better coaching Guber and Hutten would have grown as NHL D-men. I do not share the faith that Myers will be everything Guber was supposed to be. i think Benn will be  fine but probably post a 5 year low in points.

• Wat 1

3 hours ago, Patrick Jane said:

Not in signing contracts

Bo has one of the best contracts in the league. Take Eriksson's deal out, what's been bad? Myers came in less, and with a good term than the entire media had speculated all year. Roussel and other gritty depth for their peak depth years, at good money. Benning's doing better every year, IMO, and that is a good thing.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Josepho said:

At 5v5 last season, Tyler Myers ranked in the bottom half for NHL Defencemen in CA/60, SCA/60, xGA/60, SA/60 and GA/60 -- again, while facing easier deployment due to Byfuglien and Trouba carrying the load.

Except that Buff only played 42 games this year and Trouba only 55 the year before. 

Now I agree that a lot of fans are overrating Meyers, but I do think he is an upgrade over the d's in previous years.  He will likely partner with Edler, while Tanev  is with Hughes and Benn with Stech.  The team doesn't have a top pairing (at least not in the NHL, so the toi/skill level of opponent can be distributed more evenly amongst the units.  It's actually a good situation, considering that the players will have more endurance during a long season if they aren't overloaded with unrealistic expectations.

The Canucks actually have a lot more depth for this coming season, as there are quite a few potential call ups in Utica. 

2 hours ago, Provost said:

whoa whoa   back the truck up     adam gaudeette says hello   5 th round draft pick  he has been to Utica   I think he is what you call a dark horse  that came from a later round. madden 3rd rd ,  lockwood 5 th  round  ,just because they are in college doesn't mean they are not developing , college player make the transition easier because they play against 18-22 yo  , junior 15 to 20 yo    big difference  ,   as for jake  yep rushed in too quickly, but turning the corner  and juolevi , give the kid a break he had bad luck with injuries  ,    zack mc ewen seems to be developing fine on the farm , joulevi was in Utica before he got hurt , we have other on the farm as well  be patient  

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, lmm said:

3 years of Willie and Doug and now 3rd year of Greenie and Baumer, and players like Guber and Hutton stagnate.

I think at some point in his career Greenie will be a good coach, probably the team after the next one he coaches, but right now he is earning his stripes at the Canucks expence. I think with better coaching Guber and Hutten would have grown as NHL D-men. I do not share the faith that Myers will be everything Guber was supposed to be. i think Benn will be  fine but probably post a 5 year low in points.

umm how did guddy do in pitt ?   and hutton isn't signed  but pouliot signed in stl    that should tell you something   

• Upvote 1

Very confident. JB has been re-building this team from very barren cupboards and very tough contracts to move. He's done a tremendous job setting the culture, finding a new core that we can win with, and giving the organization a long term plan to sustain success.

• Like 1

This offseason increased my confidence considerably. There was a point where I thought we weren't doing anything. Then I thought Miller was going to be the only addition only to see Benn, Myers, and Ferland address our needs in a big way. Those moves showed the organization was serious. 

This same year we deafted Podkolzin and Hoglander, plus got Keppen who may turn out to be a gem too. 

We let Granlund and Hutton go to free up roster space plus bought out Spooner.

We also added goaltending depth after last year's debacle.

They've been laying the groundwork for Tryamkin to return and right that wrong. 

There's a lot to finally be confident about.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Josepho said:

At 5v5 last season, Tyler Myers ranked in the bottom half for NHL Defencemen in CA/60, SCA/60, xGA/60, SA/60 and GA/60 -- again, while facing easier deployment due to Byfuglien and Trouba carrying the load.

Can you link those stats? If true, then perhaps it was being in a limited role that caused his apparent regression. But it doesn't appear that way based on my visual evaluation. His stats suggest that he would have hovered around the 50 point range had he played more. He got 30+ points playing bottom pairing, nearly 40 points when playing Top 4, and almost 50 points when playing in the Top 2-4. He adapts well to his role. His offensive upside outweighs the little apparent defensive zone flaws. Seems like he would be an elite presence out there.

I really like all the signings and the decision to abandon the rebuild, but this is not the same as having faith in the management group. 

Spending house money to insulate the botched rebuild’s gap in prospect-talent isn’t exactly Manager of the Year material. 

However, I am glad that at least the team will be a rugged, middling team, instead of a pussified bunch of gents.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I really like all the signings and the decision to abandon the rebuild, but this is not the same as having faith in the management group. 

Spending house money to insulate the botched rebuild’s gap in prospect-talent isn’t exactly Manager of the Year material. 

However, I am glad that at least the team will be a rugged, middling team, instead of multiple lines of pussified recovery project throw aways.

ftfy

• Thanks 2