The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do You Have Confidence In The Canucks Front Office..?

Rate this topic

Honky Cat

On 8/1/2019 at 12:49 AM, lmm said:

but Pouliot didn't suck, so he got signed by the Stanley cup champ?

I'm not sure how this helps your point made.

OH REMEMBER when Guddy got here and was supposed to be our next captain?

What happened to that? 

He's a long shot, boy is he ever but at $700K for 1 year if it doesn't work out it's not a big deal.  Maybe they think that on a good defense, he has a chance to be the player who was drafted 8 OA by Pittsburgh.  At 200 NHL games and 25 years old, he is what he is imo.  Sometimes a world beater, mostly an inconsistent turnover machine.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Edmonton has not won a cup since 1990. They also had a stacked team. Minny just fired their GM, with their owner acting like some Canucks fans on CDC with knee jerk reactions. 

My point is appreciate what you've got. Because there are other teams in the same, or worse shape. 

vancouver has not won a cup

Minni fired their GM 1 year and 5 days after the Canucks parted ways with their Golden Boy President.

My point is being the same or better than the bottom 3 teams in a 31 team league is setting the bar pretty low.

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

He's a long shot, boy is he ever but at $700K for 1 year if it doesn't work out it's not a big deal.  Maybe they think that on a good defense, he has a chance to be the player who was drafted 8 OA by Pittsburgh.  At 200 NHL games and 25 years old, he is what he is imo.  Sometimes a world beater, mostly an inconsistent turnover machine.

I am not sure why we are even talking in circles about Pouliot. I was talking about our 2nd pair defence who have both stalled since coming to Vancouver and you added a guy traded for a guy that was traded for a guy that Jim wanted rid of  because he was drafted by the previous regime. (Alex Mallet  if you've lost track) Pouliot was no risk no reward, as was Pedan, that is low on the scale of issues that any of us should care about.

• Cheers 1

Im confident.  JB had to re build this organization from the ground up.  SUre, people can disagree with his methods of not tearing things down completely right away, but the organization is at the point now where they dont have to worry about adding big time pieces as much anymore.  They've got a young core and decent prospect pool.  They have found a solid coach that should be here for the long term.  Scouting dept. is solid.  I get the belly acheing about past and present contracts, but JB now has the ability to be more picky from this point on because the team, on paper at least, looks more solid.  Ferland, Benn, Roussel were good signings, jury still out on Myers/Beagle and fair enough.  

This team can turn the page just gotta stick with it

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, lmm said:

I am not sure why we are even talking in circles about Pouliot. I was talking about our 2nd pair defence who have both stalled since coming to Vancouver and you added a guy traded for a guy that was traded for a guy that Jim wanted rid of  because he was drafted by the previous regime. (Alex Mallet  if you've lost track) Pouliot was no risk no reward, as was Pedan, that is low on the scale of issues that any of us should care about.

You're right, it's small potatoes for sure.  I was puzzled when you said that Pouliot didn't suck.....is my sarcasm meter broken again?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

You're right, it's small potatoes for sure.  I was puzzled when you said that Pouliot didn't suck.....is my sarcasm meter broken again?

yes, note the question mark after,' Poo doesn't suk "?"'

that is what is sometimes called a rhetorical question

its like saying, " I think he sucks, most think he sucks, why do you think he doesn't suck, you seem to think different , is this a red herring?"

but instead I just used a question mark (?) rather than writing all that BS out in long form. Now I have anyway, you win.

ya , time to take the sarcasmeter in for a tune up.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 2:38 PM, Josepho said:

benning has made so many attempts trading for or signing defencemen, and basically none of them worked out. quite literally none of them have worked out if we're talking about acquiring proven nhl players.

why are we so confident this one will?

Easy does it. Myers and Benn are proven NHLers. That Hughes fella just might surprise you as well. Jett Woo will be the icing on the cake.

• Upvote 1

On 8/1/2019 at 12:49 AM, lmm said:

but Pouliot didn't suck, so he got signed by the Stanley cup champ?

I'm not sure how this helps your point made.

OH REMEMBER when Guddy got here and was supposed to be our next captain?

What happened to that? 

Del Zotto got signed by the Blues last Spring and he led the team to the Cup. 

Better coaching made all the difference.

:rolleyes:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/31/2019 at 2:23 PM, WalkWithElias40 said:

why?

I think JB has done a great job..

Ferland was supposed to be getting 5 mill, JB dropped him down to 3.5 like thats a steal

Benn and Myers also great signings, Myers shouldve little less but hey thats FA for you

He also signed Erikkson, Schaller, and Hutton... and he hasn't signed Boeser.  

On 8/3/2019 at 10:24 PM, PistolPete13 said:

Del Zotto got signed by the Blues last Spring and he led the team to the Cup. 

Better coaching made all the difference.

:rolleyes:

he might be the onl guy in history to lead his team to the stanley cup butnot get his name on it

• Cheers 1

Only time can tell the value of some of the draft picks we have made with JB at the helm. So ask again in 2-3 years when we should definitely be a deep playoff team. When/if they get Tryamkin on this team and do not foolishly trade his rights for something that gives us an advantage today. 

This year will really be telling wont it because JB really stuck his neck out and took some chances on some big contracts. The results of the Eriksson and Gudbranson contracts being what they are but then you consider Pearson... If Miller and Myers work out then they are looking good in the FA area again which they had been lacking in prior years.

This year will tell me at least if this team has finally broken through to the next level of taking a serious look at getting into the playoffs and winning a few rounds.

Edited by Shirotashi

Well the results came back and there are a lot of morons that subscribe to the athletic as well, with Vancouver ranking below Edmonton somehow. It didn't say how many people specifically rated Vancouver's GM (there were 12000 votes total, with 1000 of those rating all 31 teams), but by the comments in the original thread it seemed even people that consider themselves to be Vancouver fans didn't have a lot of confidence. I suppose if all you look at is analytics you might come to that conclusion, but look where that's gotten the Coyotes...

31. Minnesota Wild

Screen-Shot-2019-08-07-at-12.44.25-PM.pn

“What front office?”

“Please help us.”

In a surprising twist, the team in last is not the Senators. Instead, it’s the Wild, a team currently without an active GM. Many questioned how exactly to grade a team’s front office without its figurehead, but it looks like most settled on recreating the third act from the “Black Mirror” episode Nosedive, vociferously swiping one star with a mob-like fervour on the remains of Paul Fenton’s remaining reputation.

The words “dumpster fire” were used in 19 different comments. “Mess” another 14 times. What else needs to be said about the current regime besides that? Everything else has been covered over the last week, specifically in this sensational piece by our Michael Russo detailing the turmoil that took over the Wild over the last season, or even this one I did on the damage he’d done to the on-ice product.

About 91 percent of the public was less confident in the Wild’s “front office” than they were last season and 92 percent of the fanbase agreed. The next lowest team was Ottawa at 67 and 77 percent respectively. And the Wild weren’t exactly rated highly last year either.

The next person in charge will likely do better as the bar to clear is extremely low, but it will take a lot to earn back Minnesota’s trust in a vision for a better Wild. Even with the right person in charge, that’s a vision that’s likely years away from being fully realized.

30. Ottawa Senators

Screen-Shot-2019-08-07-at-12.44.35-PM.pn

“Every move the team makes is financially motivated. The league should be embarrassed by this. The only thing the front office is legitimately good at is drafting and developing, which makes it even more disheartening when those good picks get traded away when it’s time to pay them. Melnyk has no business owning a professional sports franchise.”

“Worst run franchise in hockey and it’s not close.”

“Ownership is too involved in the front office.”

In a stunning upset, the Senators finish outside last place in something. Bravo.

That has more to do with the Wild’s meltdown being on the tip of everyone’s tongue than it is with Ottawa’s current status which is still extremely bleak, somehow even bleaker than it was last season. Trading away your three best players, all pending free agents, will do that and likely why the team ranked dead last or second last in trading, free agency and roster building.

There’s a lot of building ahead of them and not much faith in the vision to execute it. On the fan base side, there is some hope in the team’s ability to draft and develop, but even that glimmer ranks in the league’s bottom five. It speaks more to the optimism every fan base has in its pipeline than anything the Senators are actually doing.

Much of this does not actually land on the front office, but on ownership. The words “Melnyk Out” were a popular sentiment on a plethora of survey comments and it’s astounding that an owner can be so unanimously blamed for a franchise’s misfortunes. With him remaining at the helm, it feels like the team has “unparalleled” failure in store for their future.

29. Vancouver Canucks

Screen-Shot-2019-08-07-at-12.45.08-PM.pn

“Mind boggling this management group has lasted this long.”

“No idea how Jim Benning is still GM after five seasons. It’s baffling.”

“Things are moving in a good direction, but this summer wasn’t good enough to make me forget Benning’s earlier mistakes.”

There is just one team that has finished in the bottom five of this survey in all four seasons, and unsurprisingly it’s this one. The Canucks have finished 30th, 30th, 28th and 29th in the four years running this and have shown nothing but consistent ineptitude since Jim Benning took over five years ago. His results do not warrant that kind of job security – the 11th longest tenure of any active GM. The mind reels. There were 18 different “Fire Benning” comments and many others that implied the sentiment.

Across the NHL and the team’s own fanbase, there is little to no faith in anything Vancouver does aside from drafting, Benning’s known strength. Credit is due for that, but it’s diminished by the team’s issues developing its pipeline into NHL talent.

That talent at the draft also isn’t enough to overlook the shoddy roster being built, the terrible free-agent deals being given out year-over-year, the short-sighted trades made, and the fact that a bottom-feeder is somehow capped out. That he began accelerating the rebuild this summer in order to save his job only makes things worse.

The team does look like it can turn a corner as a result and that’s enough to inspire some people with a bit more confidence from last year, but the long term outlook is still far less rosy than it should be given the team’s position over the last few seasons. Frankly, I’m surprised the public’s opinion was so generous.

28. Edmonton Oilers

Screen-Shot-2019-08-07-at-12.45.17-PM.pn

“Thank god it’s no longer Chiarelli.”

“Change is meaningless if the new FO has the same vision.”

“They were able to trade Lucic, this is the most successful summer since McDavid was drafted.”

The difference between public and fan base opinion when it comes to the Oilers is massive as the latter is a sea of red while the former is more of a mixed bag. The fan base’s own opinion still sees the Oilers’ brass in the bottom five, but the grades are much closer to average. The public is much less forgiving.

For Edmonton, the hope is that Ken Holland simply can’t be worse than Peter Chiarelli and that the front office culture can be turned around under his tutelage. There’s a bit more hope for his vision and much more confidence that things will improve. Trading Milan Lucic away was a step in the right direction, especially if James Neal can bounce back, which is a better possibility than Lucic doing so.

For the public, it’s hard not to see Holland as more of the same though seeing the damage he has done to the Red Wings over the past decade, signing some of the worst contracts in hockey. That the Red Wings confidence has sky-rockted without him attests to that. Holland is a member of the old boys club and that doesn’t present much of a change from what Chiarelli was offering.

And if the problem goes deeper than just the GM as most likely see it, then changing a figurehead doesn’t do much to inspire confidence in the current Oilers’ front office. More needs to be done to earn that. Much more.

When you have this type of offseason and fans are somehow less confident in the GM, you know these people are the ones that listen to the garbage the media spews out.

Edited by Psycho_Path
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Psycho_Path said:

When you have this type of offseason and fans are somehow less confident in the GM, you know these people are the ones that listen to the garbage the media spews out.

its hard to imagine a more useless poll, and the author is clearly intensely biased. But aside from that, we've literally learned nothing of value. Well done, Athletic, one more reason not to pay for you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

This isn't a blogger's garbage. This is fan votes in confidence in management. Though I guess you could say the bloggers garbage was the articles that instilled this opinion in the people that voted  this way towards the Canucks' management.

Edited by Psycho_Path

Didn’t we sell out an exhibition in 5 minutes?  

Fans don’t seem to mind what the front office has done, anyways.  

All the same mindless gripes but they’re starting to sprinkle in some caveats about maybe turning the corner.  Terribly managed teams who’ve never won the draft lottery don’t magically turn the corner.  Sorry.

In any case, doesn’t surprise me that the segment of the fan base willing to pay to read JD Burke doesn’t have faith in management. 

Its hard to evaluate completely because I feel like ownership is in control of the directive.

Like why did we trade a first round pick for Miller when we could've just signed Nyquist to a simiar contract? Probably because they wanted us to make a splash?

Why did we not embrace a rebuild sooner when Linden knew we were still years away? Because ownership disagreed, hence Linden being gone.

I have confidence in Benning in some areas, others not as much, but ownership is almost the bigger question for me.