Sign in to follow this  
Honky Cat

Do You Have Confidence In The Canucks Front Office..?

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

Didn’t we sell out an exhibition in 5 minutes?  

Fans don’t seem to mind what the front office has done, anyways.  

All the same mindless gripes but they’re starting to sprinkle in some caveats about maybe turning the corner.  Terribly managed teams who’ve never won the draft lottery don’t magically turn the corner.  Sorry.

In any case, doesn’t surprise me that the segment of the fan base willing to pay to read JD Burke doesn’t have faith in management. 

On the Island. A rare treat for them, in a smaller arena.

• Hydration 1

On 7/31/2019 at 3:05 PM, Josepho said:

Myers was getting hemmed into his own zone despite getting a solid amount of OZone starts and having Byfuglien and Trouba take the tougher minutes. I'm sure having Kulikov as a partner is partially a factor in this, but he's been slowly declining for years and isn't the player he was in Buffalo.

He can probably manage with Hughes in a more sheltered role, but I see it as unlikely that he'll live up to the contract he's been given.

agree.. Myers is not that great , and he is making big money.. 4 mil would be worth it. 6 mil is ridiculous.. another over paid free agent that will hurt the team in the long run just like the terrible erickson signing. I bitched and moaned on day one of the loui erickson signing , and people were all positive.. play with the Sedins, blah blah. I knew he was way over paid, and he basically worked out exactly like I expected..... If the canucks management cant grow their own team without trying to sign a bunch of greedy free agents. we are doomed forever.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

agree.. Myers is not that great , and he is making big money.. 4 mil would be worth it. 6 mil is ridiculous.. another over paid free agent that will hurt the team in the long run just like the terrible erickson signing. I bitched and moaned on day one of the loui erickson signing , and people were all positive.. play with the Sedins, blah blah. I knew he was way over paid, and he basically worked out exactly like I expected..... If the canucks management cant grow their own team without trying to sign a bunch of greedy free agents. we are doomed forever.

There are a lot of good hockey people that know more than you and I that would strongly disagree about Myers,

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, TheNewGM said:

Just glad you are not our new GM

Whatever results of that poll, our team is now in the best position, and has the most balanced and talented roster its ever had since JB took over. 

I also think a more wider public poll like that will naturally bring out more downers who don't watch a lot of games and only look at the score sheet after a game.

That said,

I lol at those that give JB blind praise and complete confidence, 10/10 etc.. Usually on the first couple of pages on a thread topic on JB. Anyone who disagrees is given a confused smilie face. It suits them, they must be confused.  I think you HAVE to have some criticism somewhere for a GM who's team was the worst in the league for the last 4 years. How could you not? I'm not surprised at all seeing those numbers. While I admire the positivity, its just not realistic to have complete confidence in this management team going forward.  I hope, I pray, things will all work out peachy. I have to believe. I have no choice.  We are a team that has been a cellar dweller for four years, yet are maxed out on the cap, and if we don't do significantly better in the next two years, we will be royally ******. 

Because then it will be more of the same old...team full of untradable underperforming assets, no cap room for that 'missing piece', and also missing out on a first rounder, (and third). Add to that missing a lot draft picks, as a second tier, we could have been acquiring for players that never panned out or have never lived up to the hype, all in a feckless attempt to squeeze into the playoffs each year. And, we will be wasting our triangle of death - Petey, Flow, and the mighty Quinn's peak years perhaps. We needed a GM (and an owner who knew to step back) who recognized, after the 2016 season, when we did not repeat landing a playoff spot, that that was THE TIME to start the tear down. And in a way such as the Rangers announced it, in no uncertain terms. Don't insult the intelligence of Canucks fans. While we still had a few tradable vets. (instead of piling in more of them)  Making it clear to the NTC players we were going to move their friends and team mates, and get younger, and they had to be fine with that or wave. Would that have been fair to the Sedins? Maybe not, but this is a business, it should have been approached like that.  Maybe JB would have risked being fired, like Trevor, but that was the choice made.

It feels like this season, more than the past seasons, that we have a NEW team.  Pettersson is no longer the newbie. Quinn will be a big part. Brock will only get better barring more injury woes. We have a good goalie tandem. Myers will solidify the back end and bring some more size. Ferland addresses some grittiness missing. Benn is an improvement on Hutton. I only wish we could have retained Schenn as a seventh. He was cheap, big and nasty. (like my last gf)

I hope it works. Benning is pushing all the chips he can forward into the pot. And adding chips borrowed from the house for future repayment on top of it. There is no plan B.  It has to work.  And it will. dammit!  If it doesn't, guaranteed that JB won't be here next year, and some other poor shclep will have to clean up another Canucklehead mess.  I don't want to look backwards but these dang rating JB threads pop up I can't help but be honest, based on past seasons.

Is this out of 5?  I can't find anywhere what is it out of.  I assume its out of 5. If so, here's how I'd rank management:

Roster building:   2.6  This summers acquisitions bump it over the median for me. Otherwise below average.

Cap management:  2.2  Its all in for Jim. Risky Business.

Draft/development: two way different areas which should be split up:

Draft: 4.0  Petey Brock and Quinn, and hopefully Tryamkin make up for the misses. and Gaudette is a glass half full.
Development:  2.0  Utica has not been good for most of our top prospects, with some jumping ship, which, with our relatively bare cupboards we cannot afford.

Trading: 1.8  Including a rating for losing players for nothing plus overpaying and over-terming and over valuing the acquisitions we did make.

Free agency:  1.5  Based on the last few seasons work. Optimism is up for the latest shift of newbies, but not proven yet.

Vision: 2.0  This is the easiest to mark. There hasn’t been any clear vision during JB’s reign. That or the vision JB had did not materialize. And I'm being generous.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Vision: 2.0  This is the easiest to mark. There hasn’t been any clear vision during JB’s reign. That or the vision JB had did not materialize. And I'm being generous.

What is EDM's vision? What is FLA's vision? Pretty sure every team has the same goal.

From what I gather, Benning was originally trying to make the Canucks into a BOS 2.0, and now he's been trying to build a STL 2.0. I guess if he had a vision, it's to win VAN's first Cup.

I don’t know about you guys but I have had no trouble following JB’s plan and vision. It sure has baffled the leastern press however. 

• Upvote 4

eastern scribes say, benning is not standing by his model.  when they finally started to rebuild, they decide to go younger and faster. then they saw that the younger, faster guys, could get pushed around. so the decided to augment the team with players that are harder to play against. that isn’t a different model, it is giving the model all the elements it need to be successful has jimmy made some mistakes, yes but no gm is free of them. 

this team has gotten faster, more skilled and now have players that are harder to play against. 

is jim finished? no, we are looking at another couple of years till we can take a run at a cup. 

when podkolzin hoglander, lind, woo, juolevi, hughes, madden depietro and demko can claim spots here, we’ll have 3 good scoring lines, a weeding out of older, more oft injured defence core and hopefully a good goaltender tandem for the future.  

i don’t know whose model that is, maybe it will just be known as the canuck model.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

What I see is one high end defense man on the back end other than what we have . That is what we need! Scoring we have enough with this roster 2 to 3 potential 30 to 40 goal scorers 3 or more 20 plus goal scorers . The Canucks need a deman that can put up 60 points.

On 7/31/2019 at 3:02 PM, Pears said:

Because Myers is proven to be much better than any of his previous acquisitions. You’d have to be quite dense to not see that. 

Maybe....  we will see!  As a 2nd pairing defenseman he is a good fit...  it overpaid a bit

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, spur1 said:

I don’t know about you guys but I have had no trouble following JB’s plan and vision. It sure has baffled the leastern press however. 

It changed with the wind... so while I’m sure u could follow it if he direction was all over the map through the years.  Make playoffs.  Retool.  Rebuild.  All the while spend to the cap.  Trade away tons of picks for a bottom team.  I would say the vision had been confusing....

Edited by canucksnihilist
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

It changed with the wind... so while I’m sure u could follow it if he direction was all over the map through the years.  Make playoffs.  Retool.  Rebuild.  All the while spend to the cap.  Trade away tons of picks for a bottom team.  I would say the vision had been confusing....

I can see why you are confused, your version is pure fantasy. 

15 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

I really hate this "traded away tons of picks for a bottom team" argument people use with JB. What do you think these picks are going to turn into?

The players he traded them away for were more of a sure thing than the picks themselves had the chance of becoming. Yes, JB's drafting is good, but people love to complain about the Joulevi and Virtanen picks, so clearly it isn't perfect.

"bUT wE cOUlD hAVe HaD tHE NeXT PoINt". How many 3rd round + draft choices even make the NHL, never mind becoming the next Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Point, Robitaille,etc?

Did all the trades work out? No.  But the players he would have drafted with those picks weren't sure fire things either.

• Hydration 4

2 hours ago, Ur a Towel said:

I really hate this "traded away tons of picks for a bottom team" argument people use with JB. What do you think these picks are going to turn into?

The players he traded them away for were more of a sure thing than the picks themselves had the chance of becoming. Yes, JB's drafting is good, but people love to complain about the Joulevi and Virtanen picks, so clearly it isn't perfect.

"bUT wE cOUlD hAVe HaD tHE NeXT PoINt". How many 3rd round + draft choices even make the NHL, never mind becoming the next Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Point, Robitaille,etc?

Did all the trades work out? No.  But the players he would have drafted with those picks weren't sure fire things either.

Lol .... “tons of picks”...if you added up the weight of the players taken with those tons of picks it might add up to a quarter ton. 

4 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

It wasn't confusing at all. Just had to listen to what Benning actually instead of the voices in your head screaming tank.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

It wasn't confusing at all. Just had to listen to what Benning actually instead of the voices in your head screaming tank.

I don’t get it. We acquired two top six forwards, two solid defensemen and will get a full year of Hughes, but people still think we need to tank? Good lord. 

• Hydration 1

10 hours ago, spur1 said:

I can see why you are confused, your version is pure fantasy. 

No... just look at the press clippings over the last 5 years.  Crystal clear changing plan.

9 hours ago, Ur a Towel said:

Trading away picks for established players is always going to bet you a poorer return long term.   Teams only want to trade a player if he hasn’t hit his stride and may not....   sure there are great hits (Naslund for instance) but in average it is a strategy that yields poor results.

it was done cause the management was pressured into making the playoffs.   

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Baggins said:

Well...  make the playoffs, retool, then rebuild, trade away picks for middling players, wanting as many draft picks as possible, but trading those draft picks away...  

Those with only short term memories won’t understand....  but the team has changed direction over time...

anyways the team might compete this year depending on how the team gels.   I’m worried about the contracts....  but hope for the best!

Edited by canucksnihilist

36 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

Well...  make the playoffs, retool, then rebuild, trade away picks for middling players, wanting as many draft picks as possible, but trading those draft picks away...  

Those with only short term memories won’t understand....  but the team has changed direction over time...

anyways the team might compete this year depending on how the team gels.   I’m worried about the contracts....  but hope for the best!

You do realize a plan doesn’t have to be set in stone (that’s a good thing) or have I direction all the way through?! You can and should adjust along the way...the league isn’t ridged. You can have change at certain marks along the way within the 1 long or short term plan and that can all be set at the beginning or adjusted along the way. You can’t just say tank only for 10 straight years...you have to transition into it and out of it, plus add other elements along the way.