The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Life & Economic Opportunities in Vancouver

Hugor Hill

Hello,

So I recently visited Vancouver from Toronto, and I have to tell you guys, Vancouver is a beautiful place. I used to live there when I was a kid but didn't really appreciate how beautiful it is until after spending the last 20+ years of my life in Toronto. I would like to consider the possibilities of moving 'back' to Vancouver again. I have friends and family there so network wise it won't be a huge adjustment. 

The thing is, rents are so expensive in Vancouver, compared to Toronto. And from what I have heard, jobs don't pay that well (relative to rents and other living expenses) and career opportunities are limited. A very modest one-bedoom condo is like $2000 in rent. You guys aren't a financial hub like we are. So how do people do it? How do you folks afford anything over there? 

How much money does one need to make in Vancouver to allow a 'decent' bachelor's life?

6 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

So how do people do it? How do you folks afford anything over there? 

They live in lifelong debt. House poor. Pass debt onto their children’s children.

Have fun moving back! I never would.

• Upvote 3

You can definitely have an easier time finding jobs in Vancouver than further out, but the rent does skyrocket. I personally never plan to live further west than Langley and my rent is considerably cheaper than $2k. Still very beautiful even further east and far less traffic too, especially if you go as far as Abbotsford or Chilliwack.

• Upvote 1

I also live in Toronto. Somewhat unfortunately...I love Toronto (Leaf fans have been a fun, self-deprecating bunch for the past 15 years despite the media), but I miss BC like crazy.

My plan would be not to move back to Vancouver. I don't mean to disparage Vancouver, but it seems like it's the best place in the world when you visit in June...maybe not so much in February (I grew up in northern BC so I still prefer a cold, snowy winter to a bone-freezing, rainy one).

I would hit the Okanagan. My family all live there and all they do is kayak and mountain bike. Real summers, real winters. It's my favourite place on earth.

16 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

You can definitely have an easier time finding jobs in Vancouver than further out, but the rent does skyrocket. I personally never plan to live further west than Langley and my rent is considerably cheaper than $2k. Still very beautiful even further east and far less traffic too, especially if you go as far as Abbotsford or Chilliwack.

Not even Coquitlam or Port Moody?

It would nice to at least have train service to downtown.

19 minutes ago, nzan said:

but it seems like it's the best place in the world when you visit in June...maybe not so much in February (I grew up in northern BC so I still prefer a cold, snowy winter to a bone-freezing, rainy one).

This.

Miss nothing about the rainy winters. Summer? I don’t particularly miss it, mostly because summers are pretty much great in most places (developed countries I mean). We visit every summer, but that’s to see family. Otherwise, I’m good taking vacations to a lot of other places. I actually don’t find taking a vacation to Vancouver to be anything tremendously memorable.

If skiing, I prefer Big White or Colorado Springs to Blackcomb (though I do like Blackcomb). For summer/hot vacations, I prefer most places outside of Canada than being here. The only city I’m consistently impressed with on a regular basis is Montreal. Never had an underwhelming visit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Monty said:

This.

Miss nothing about the rainy winters. Summer? I don’t particularly miss it, mostly because summers are pretty much great in most places (developed countries in mean). We visit every summer, but that’s to see family. Otherwise, I’m good taking vacations to a lot of other places. I actually don’t find taking a vacation to Vancouver to be anything tremendously memorable.

If skiing, I prefer Big White or Colorado Springs to Blackcomb (though I do like Blackcomb. For summer/hot vacations, I prefer most places outside of Canada than being here. The only city I’m consistently impressed with on a regular basis is Montreal. Never had an underwhelming visit.

Perhaps this doesn't count as underwhelming:

But otherwise yeah it's a beautiful city as well.

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Those will surely be cheaper than Vancouver, but probably still cost you an arm and a leg. Langley does have the east-most stop of the Skytrain around 200th street, which is west Langley.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Thing is, up until now, it was a pretty decent living if you got into any aspect of real estate and development.  However, with the much needed provisions put into place to curb money laundering, that's at risk. 

I love hearing the realtors whine....they made a killing and if they blew it all (literally) rather than saving for a rainy day that's their problem.  My family was in the fishing industry and some years they cashed in and others were lean.  So you had to plan and save.

I am in the architectural business that is just starting to see a bit of a slowdown - but not too much.  

I bought years ago and am nearly paid off so I'm ok here.  My kids will be too because Dad and I both have property that will be paid for and that will be passed on to them.  But, in the meantime, they are couples both working full time to afford one bedroom shoeboxes.  Their rent is near $2000/month.

If you are frugal, get a decent job and work hard you can barely scrape by.  But the pros are that you don't need $$ to enjoy this city - walk the seawalls, bike, go to the beach.  All things that don't cost much but are invaluable to the mind and soul.  On any given day I can ride my bike beside sea lions, eagles, herons, etc.

If you want nice things, to travel, etc. then it's a tough go here.  If you want a modest "home" in a stunning city full of culture, the best food going, etc., then it's worth being broke for.  Personally, I prefer the experiences and nature over material things.  So I do ok here.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Most of my wife’s family and friends live in Coquitlam, most of their houses are 1 million and above.

3 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Most of my wife’s family and friends live in Coquitlam, most of their houses are 1 million and above.

25 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Those will surely be cheaper than Vancouver, but probably still cost you an arm and a leg. Langley does have the east-most stop of the Skytrain around 200th street, which is west Langley.

Took a quick look at MLS... seems like prices in Coquitlam is somewhat in line with central Toronto's. That seems to be a measuring stick for me. 

Still very expensive.

It is beautiful here.

Its expensive but there are jobs. I have two managers that moonlight a bit for some extra cash. However they look forward to it, one plays gigs singing covers, the other works bar in a craft tap room. We have tourism and good nightlife, both these cats get some real decent tips etc..but it's not for everyone. 

For a bachelor, you could pull off a exciting life depending on what you're willing to do for work. The options on what you might want to do for fun here, are endless.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Probably nothing special meanwhile 1 million in places in Arizona and Florida you get huge mansions 

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

You'd have to pay me 1 million to live in Arizona or Florida

I have been told that Arizona is a great place to live. The heat is dry and is very tolerable. 

Florida... well, it's Florida. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Probably nothing special meanwhile 1 million in places in Arizona and Florida you get huge mansions 

A million in my area gets you something pretty nice.

Meanwhile 1 million in willoughby gets you a shoe box with one parking spot.

Edited by Violator
  • Upvote 1

Yeah it’s by far and away the best city in Canada as far as sheer beauty goes (I’ve been to every major city) but to live in Vancouver proper it’s actually ridiculous how much money you need to earn to even live modestly. Unless you have millions stashed away you’ll be hard pressed to ever get ahead living and owning real estate in the city.