The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Life & Economic Opportunities in Vancouver

Hugor Hill

2 minutes ago, Violator said:

A million in my area gets you something pretty nice.

Meanwhile 1 million in willoughby gets you a shoe box with one parking spot.

I remember when Willoughby was dotted with modest homes on big acerage. Now, it’s a bloody nightmare. 

10 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Took a quick look at MLS... seems like prices in Coquitlam is somewhat in line with central Toronto's. That seems to be a measuring stick for me. 

Still very expensive.

I am very bias but Coquitlam is really the best of both worlds I have lived here forever, although it is very competitive to buy anything half decent. Asians and persians are taking over and are loaded. My 20 year old 2 bedroom condo goes for around 500K or rents for 1500. 

it gets significantly cheaper in Pitt Meadows which has the westcoast express train to dowtown but no skytrain

to live a decent bachelor life i think an annual income over $70k is Ok, not extravagant for sure and dont even get me started on saving for retirement lol so difficult

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Those will surely be cheaper than Vancouver, but probably still cost you an arm and a leg. Langley does have the east-most stop of the Skytrain around 200th street, which is west Langley.

Skytrain ends in Whalley.  The furthest east station is at King George (136) and 98.  There is a plan to extend to Langley along Fraser Highway but only money to go as far as 160.  I'll believe it when I see it.

There is a train going north of the river as far as Mission with limited stops.  

Transit is so so south of the river so you really need a car to get around.  The commute from downtown to Abby in the afternoon rush hour is 1:25

The problem with Vancouver is that the pay from jobs don't match the cost of real estate or rents

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

I remember when Willoughby was dotted with modest homes on big acerage. Now, it’s a bloody nightmare. 

The house my dad built in the late 80s was demolished just recently to put up townhomes.There is also a pne house im pretty sure was demolished already.

8 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Skytrain ends in Whalley.  The furthest east station is at King George (136) and 98.  There is a plan to extend to Langley along Fraser Highway but only money to go as far as 160.  I'll believe it when I see it.

Transit is so so south of the river so you really need a car to get around.  The commute from downtown to Abby in the afternoon rush hour is 1:25

The problem with Vancouver is that the pay from jobs don't match the cost of real estate or rents

I haven't been there myself, but is this map wrong or am I reading it wrong?

j3wmayufoc601.png

10 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

This is the problem.

Vancouver has sort of become a retirement home and investment parking spot for people all over the place.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Chicken. said:

Considering that map has the millenium line going all the way to ubc, it seems like a future concept lol the skytrain definitely doesnt go to langley yet

Cheers. I think you're right, now that I think about it. Thanks for educating me, folks.

2 hours ago, Hugor Hill said:

Hello,

So I recently visited Vancouver from Toronto, and I have to tell you guys, Vancouver is a beautiful place. I used to live there when I was a kid but didn't really appreciate how beautiful it is until after spending the last 20+ years of my life in Toronto. I would like to consider the possibilities of moving 'back' to Vancouver again. I have friends and family there so network wise it won't be a huge adjustment. 

The thing is, rents are so expensive in Vancouver, compared to Toronto. And from what I have heard, jobs don't pay that well (relative to rents and other living expenses) and career opportunities are limited. A very modest one-bedoom condo is like $2000 in rent. You guys aren't a financial hub like we are. So how do people do it? How do you folks afford anything over there? 

How much money does one need to make in Vancouver to allow a 'decent' bachelor's life?

It is pretty nice and life can be pretty relaxed here, though I think the beauty's only really in summer and some winter and spring (I personally suffer from hay fever so there's that affecting my spring, and the fall can be quite depressing since people hole up and it gets dark and dreary really early).  It's also pricey for anything really, and honestly as a bachelor (unless you're really good looking, in which everything should come easier, at least in terms of getting attention from shallow people) it's not always the easiest since not many people are that friendly or outgoing.  Besides clubs (not sure if you're part of that demographic), I've found that most stick with the friends they already know unless they're really active in meeting new people.  

Positives are food and summer weather for me, as well as the activities that come with it.  It is expensive to live here, but being from an ethnicity where it's more accepted to live at home longer, I don't fully feel the brunt of the cost of rent and other expenses that I know many Caucasians feel.  Hope that helps.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

Best major city in terms of beauty, but the cost isn't worth it. Overall, I would say that Montreal is the best city in Canada (culture, food, attractions, nightlife, affordability). The only problem is the weather in the winter, and the necessity to be bilingual for employment. 

Montreal is my favorite outside of Van. I was there in the fall and it was absolutely gorgeous. You are right about all the amenities too. Everything there seems cheaper. 

1 hour ago, Hugor Hill said:

This is the problem.

Vancouver has sort of become a retirement home and investment parking spot for people all over the place.

Vancouver isn't the only city in the world with this problem.  There's a world wide trend for the very wealthy to park their capital in real estate in stable economies.  It's about preserving wealth.  Gold has also been a popular store of wealth but maybe not as much any more.  London, Paris, New York, Tokyo......I think it exists in Toronto but maybe not to the same degree as Van per capita

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darkstar said:

Best major city in terms of beauty, but the cost isn't worth it. Overall, I would say that Montreal is the best city in Canada (culture, food, attractions, nightlife, affordability). The only problem is the weather in the winter, and the necessity to be bilingual for employment. 

If you live in “new” Montreal, then it’s not a necessity. Obviously helps, though.

3 hours ago, nzan said:

I also live in Toronto. Somewhat unfortunately...I love Toronto (Leaf fans have been a fun, self-deprecating bunch for the past 15 years despite the media), but I miss BC like crazy.

My plan would be not to move back to Vancouver. I don't mean to disparage Vancouver, but it seems like it's the best place in the world when you visit in June...maybe not so much in February (I grew up in northern BC so I still prefer a cold, snowy winter to a bone-freezing, rainy one).

I would hit the Okanagan. My family all live there and all they do is kayak and mountain bike. Real summers, real winters. It's my favourite place on earth.

Yea I left Van.

Sorry peeps weather is so bad. I hate rain and the summers are soooo cold. Absolutely beautiful city though.

Lots of jobs at Starbucks but I left and easily made significantly more coin and my house was 1/6 the cost.

3 hours ago, Monty said:

This.

Miss nothing about the rainy winters. Summer? I don’t particularly miss it, mostly because summers are pretty much great in most places (developed countries I mean). We visit every summer, but that’s to see family. Otherwise, I’m good taking vacations to a lot of other places. I actually don’t find taking a vacation to Vancouver to be anything tremendously memorable.

If skiing, I prefer Big White or Colorado Springs to Blackcomb (though I do like Blackcomb). For summer/hot vacations, I prefer most places outside of Canada than being here. The only city I’m consistently impressed with on a regular basis is Montreal. Never had an underwhelming visit.

Big White is my second favourite mountain of all time. Second only to how great Mt Baker was back in the days when I was a real skier.

Now I'm just an old dad trying to teach kids to love skiing...in Ontario, where they try to make ski hills literally out of garbage mounds...Mt Tremblant is actually pretty good though...