The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buy out Baer?

Rate this topic

iceman64

13 hours ago, spook007 said:

Thank you....

Pearson was one of the most exciting things to happen to this team after EP last season (and Quinns first few games). 

Will be bitterly disappointed if Pearson isn’t on the team to start the season. 

Can play second and third line position equally easy.

It seems it is quickly forgotten that Pearson had 15 points in 61 games over two teams prior to being traded to us. He did put up 12 points in 19 games. But also don't forget that Leipsic put up 9 points in 14 games, which is basically the same PPG in the small sample size. Many had Leipsic pegged for our top 6 as well.

So don't get me wrong, I like Pearson and would like to see if he can maintain his chemistry, but if he isn't getting the offensive time like he did last season, I wonder how quickly people will jump on him and his 4 million dollar contract if he ends up being a 3rd liner for us.

If there's a deal to be made where we either save cap for a reasonable return or can upgrade in another area due to having his stock bounce back a bit, then I'm certainly not opposed to it. Especially considering we do have Baertschi and a Roussel that will be returning (amongst other options that could fill in that are cheaper too).

Pearson will have to play his guts out and hang onto that spot beside Horvat this season or I can see him being a whipping boy if he goes back to that 15 points in 61 games player.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, theo5789 said:

It seems it is quickly forgotten that Pearson had 15 points in 61 games over two teams prior to being traded to us. He did put up 12 points in 19 games. But also don't forget that Leipsic put up 9 points in 14 games, which is basically the same PPG in the small sample size. Many had Leipsic pegged for our top 6 as well.

So don't get me wrong, I like Pearson and would like to see if he can maintain his chemistry, but if he isn't getting the offensive time like he did last season, I wonder how quickly people will jump on him and his 4 million dollar contract if he ends up being a 3rd liner for us.

If there's a deal to be made where we either save cap for a reasonable return or can upgrade in another area due to having his stock bounce back a bit, then I'm certainly not opposed to it. Especially considering we do have Baertschi and a Roussel that will be returning (amongst other options that could fill in that are cheaper too).

Pearson will have to play his guts out and hang onto that spot beside Horvat this season or I can see him being a whipping boy if he goes back to that 15 points in 61 games player.

True....

But some times hand meets glove....

The kind of hard nosed hockey Pearson produced while playing with Horvat, was far better than I expected. And better than Leipsic were be able to...

Absolutely right though, there will be no room for passengers on this train, which is why depth is so important... hence I don’t support the good bye Baertschi. Pearson can also play the 3rd line checking role....  what numbers he’ll get from there remains to be seen. 

His numbers have always hoovered around .4-.5 each season, except for the disastrous start to last seasons campaign w Kings, where he got traded after 1 point in 17g, he still managed more than .4 over the rest of the season between Nux and Penguins. Looks like a fairly steady points producer. 

But yes just like anyone on this team, if there’s a deal that can improve the team or save cap, while providing the same, then of course they can be traded. 

Edited by spook007

17 minutes ago, spook007 said:

True....

But some times hand meets glove....

The kind of hard nosed hockey Pearson produced while playing with Horvat, was far better than I expected. And far better than Leipsic would be able to...

Absolutely right though, there will be no room for passengers on this train, which is why depth is so important... hence I don’t support the good bye Baertschi. Pearson can also play the 3rd line checking role....  what numbers he’ll get from there remains to be seen. 

But yes just like anyone on this team, if there’s a deal that can improve the team or save cap, while providing the same, then of course they can be traded. 

He could play a 3rd line checking role, but so could LE in a different way. Will Pearson be worth it as a 3rd line checking forward that isn't putting up respectable numbers? He wasn't really for two other teams. That 3rd line spot IMO is designated for Roussel anyway, so good luck to whoever "wins" that spot come December.

On 8/2/2019 at 11:02 PM, 24K PureCool said:

Man the hate on Bear on this board is relentless.

The guy was literally our 2nd best winger last season before the concussions started to hit. And just to remind people, all of them were caused by cheap/illegal hit by other players.

As always, this board is plagued with "What Have You Done for Me" syndrome.
I'm just imagining the mob that would congregate when Elias, Bo, Brock or Quinn has their first cold streak.  Not pretty. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

He could play a 3rd line checking role, but so could LE in a different way. Will Pearson be worth it as a 3rd line checking forward that isn't putting up respectable numbers? He wasn't really for two other teams. That 3rd line spot IMO is designated for Roussel anyway, so good luck to whoever "wins" that spot come December.

It was only one season in LA (17 games)

and in Pittsburgh he put up .3 before being traded to us. 

His numbers have always hoovered around .4-.5 each season, except for last season.  he still managed more than .4 over the rest of theseason between Nux and Penguins. Looks like a fairlysteady points producer. 

Time will tell... but as it stands now, there’s room for him on either on Horvats wing or the 3rd line wing. 

Edited by spook007

31 minutes ago, spook007 said:

It was only one season in LA (17 games)

and in Pittsburgh he put up .3 before being traded to us. 

His numbers have always hoovered around .4-.5 each season, except for last season.  he still managed more than .4 over the rest of theseason between Nux and Penguins. Looks like a fairlysteady points producer. 

Time will tell... but as it stands now, there’s room for him on either on Horvats wing or the 3rd line wing. 

I'm rooting for him, but my point is that I hope we aren't too blinded by the small sample that we got. He's certainly no lock for the top 6 in my eyes and certainly expendable at the right price.