The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interview with Travis Green

Rate this topic

PhillipBlunt

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Unlike Eriksson in his time in Van, has shown he can complement skilled players when filling in up the lineup, is younger and likely still improving, plays a heavier style the coach prefers, has a FAR better contract, is a far better organizational asset and doesn't come with the aforementioned circus/distraction.

Yup, we're going to waive him to keep Eriksson....

If it comes down to a defensive factor, LE is the far better player.  Doesn't your theory apply to JL like it does to LE?  If he can't beat out a player for a spot, then he obviously doesn't deserve it.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

If it comes down to a defensive factor, LE is the far better player.  Doesn't your theory apply to JL like it does to LE?  If he can't beat out a player for a spot, then he obviously doesn't deserve it.

'Far' better? Better, I'll agree too.

Sure. I'm just remotely putting money on Eriksson doing so. 14th or 15th best forward on 'paper' IMO heading in to camp. And that's without any kids pushing for spots.

He's going to have to play a HELL of a lot better than he has for the past three years to beat out Leivo or anyone else for a starting spot.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

More than Eriksson has the last three years?

Leivo did get most of his points with us when paired with Bo or Petey. Give Loui the same chance and I suspect the numbers would be similar to Leivo. 

I don't think anyone other than Beagle and Roussel are a lock in the bottom 6. Everyone else is going to have to work their asses off for a spot. If Loui outworks Leivo I do think Green will go with him, I doubt he cares about the drama and will field the best team at his disposal. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Leivo did get most of his points with us when paired with Bo or Petey. Give Loui the same chance and I suspect the numbers would be similar to Leivo. 

59 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd say Leivo's age, contract and that he won't have a media/'negative 10%' circus attached to him...and that we're HIGHLY unlikely to waive him to keep Eriksson on the roster would suggest otherwise.

He's going to have to do better than 'similar' given these other issues. There's also almost zero chance either get the opportunity in/fresh out of camp given the additions to the top 9.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think anyone other than Beagle and Roussel are a lock in the bottom 6. Everyone else is going to have to work their asses off for a spot. If Loui outworks Leivo I do think Green will go with him, I doubt he cares about the drama and will field the best team at his disposal. 

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure. I'm just remotely putting money on Eriksson doing so. 14th or 15th best forward on 'paper' IMO heading in to camp. And that's without any kids pushing for spots.

He's going to have to play a HELL of a lot better than he has for the past three years to beat out Leivo or anyone else for a starting spot.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It depends on the role they are competing for.  I'd say Leivo has a better shot for a spot on a third line, LE has a better shot at a 4th line spot.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Agreed, the better player should play regardless of outside drama but Leivo, to me at least, looked way more interested last year.  Not to mention more productive.  Yes, small sample size and good line mates, but I agree with the other poster's point that Loui will not only have to earn a spot, he will have to look better in an eye test than Leivo or anyone else in order to make the team.  Personally I think it's awesome that there is genuine competition but that means that someone who is NHL calibre is not going to make the team.  That's a good thing for the team and for the fans even if that particular player isn't going to like it. Go Canucks Go!  (can't wait till puck drop)

Edited by nux_win
grammar
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

How is LE the 14th or 15th best forward ‘on paper’ ?  EP 1.  Boeser 2.  Horvat 3. J.T. Miller 4.  .... after that it’s a little tricky with a bevy of middle six guys including LE ... let’s got with the new toy at 5 Ferland (doubtful) Bear at 6, then Rousell at 7, then Pearson 8,  JV 9, Sutter 10, LE 11 ( many of these last six guys are interchangeable), Beagle 12 - then the guys we hope will be something but are not proven yet in Goldobin, Leivo and Gaudette.  Chances are Leivo won’t play half the games in the NHL as LE has points.  Chances are he might clear waivers too.  If he doesn’t nobodies loss, same with Goldobin.  It’s ridiculous that people here are still bashing LE like he can’t play a good role on the team.  Does anyone remember Ryan Walter - he used to be a captain for the Habs but near the end of his career he played on the 4th line and did a good job.  How about Trevor Linden when he came back?    

If TG and JB want to win games he will still be in the lineup on the 3-4th line and be one of the first guys to move up when injures happen.  If he’s not on the team it’s 100% political.  My money goes on LE to come into camp with a bit of a chip on his shoulder - he didn’t lie, he actually responded truthfully for once instead of some boring diabtrabe that skirts the question.  No he hasn’t earned his contract.   We’ve had LOADS of guys in the past that haven’t done that, but I can’t re-call so much angst towards a player ever just because he’s not performing up to it.  At 3m he’s fine, maybe even 3.5-4 considering what vets are out there making that.   So let’s say he’s 1/3 - 1/2 underporming.   How many goals did Sutter have last year and how many games did he play?  Same goes with Tanev actually...or how about Ballard - who else did we buyout again? Sundin at 10 really? Wow.  ( ha ha ha NO he did not help he Sedins take the next step - just like Messier wasn’t the reason Naslund broke out).    We have plenty of guys that have underperformed over the years and yes we should be a little hard on them - but we should also appreciate what they do bring and acknowledge the pecking order regardless of salary.  That’s more on the GM then anything.   At least he earned his UFA pay-day unlike all the star RFAs are doing now. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I predict Loui comes to camp, gets put on a line with two of the biggest scrubs Travis Green can find, and ends up being one of the first cuts to Utica. Book it. 

So if EP and or Hughes comes into camp, struggles and don’t get many or any points in the pre-season should we book it too?  If they do this they aren’t giving him a chance...and it’s political not based on icing he beat team.  It happens so maybe your right - NYR did it to Redden - he wasn’t there worse defenseman...but they didn’t like him and his cap hit - and circumvented it back then (now you can’t do that).    No way he’s not better then three or four of our signed forwards at the moment.  Maybe quite a few more if he had a bounce back year - which I think he just might have.

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

How is LE the 14th or 15th best forward ‘on paper’ ?  EP 1.  Boeser 2.  Horvat 3. J.T. Miller 4.  .... after that it’s a little tricky with a bevy of middle six guys including LE ... let’s got with the new toy at 5 Ferland (doubtful) Bear at 6, then Rousell at 7, then Pearson 8,  JV 9, Sutter 10, LE 11 ( many of these last six guys are interchangeable), Beagle 12 - then the guys we hope will be something but are not proven yet in Goldobin, Leivo and Gaudette.  Chances are Leivo won’t play half the games in the NHL as LE has points.  Chances are he might clear waivers too.  If he doesn’t nobodies loss, same with Goldobin.  It’s ridiculous that people here are still bashing LE like he can’t play a good role on the team.  Does anyone remember Ryan Walter - he used to be a captain for the Habs but near the end of his career he played on the 4th line and did a good job.  How about Trevor Linden when he came back?    

If TG and JB want to win games he will still be in the lineup on the 3-4th line and be one of the first guys to move up when injures happen.  If he’s not on the team it’s 100% political.  My money goes on LE to come into camp with a bit of a chip on his shoulder - he didn’t lie, he actually responded truthfully for once instead of some boring diabtrabe that skirts the question.  No he hasn’t earned his contract.   We’ve had LOADS of guys in the past that haven’t done that, but I can’t re-call so much angst towards a player ever just because he’s not performing up to it.  At 3m he’s fine, maybe even 3.5-4 considering what vets are out there making that.   So let’s say he’s 1/3 - 1/2 underporming.   How many goals did Sutter have last year and how many games did he play?  Same goes with Tanev actually...or how about Ballard - who else did we buyout again? Sundin at 10 really? Wow.  ( ha ha ha NO he did not help he Sedins take the next step - just like Messier wasn’t the reason Naslund broke out).    We have plenty of guys that have underperformed over the years and yes we should be a little hard on them - but we should also appreciate what they do bring and acknowledge the pecking order regardless of salary.  That’s more on the GM then anything.   At least he earned his UFA pay-day unlike all the star RFAs are doing now. 

Miller, Petterson, Boeser, Baer, Horvat, Pearson, Ferland, Sutter, Virtanen, Motte, Beagle, Leivo, *Roussel.

*IR

That's 13 guys I'd have on the roster ahead of him given his current ability and taking things like age, contract amount and value to the organization moving forward in to consideration. 

And that doesn't factor in any young guys pushing for spots or the (right or wrong) side show that will accompany him if he's still here that decrease his value/place in this roster even further.

He's WAAAAAAY far away from a shoe in for a starting 12 roster spot on this club now.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

So if EP and or Hughes comes into camp, struggles and don’t get many or any points in the pre-season should we book it too?  If they do this they aren’t giving him a chance...and it’s political not based on icing he beat team.  It happens so maybe your right - NYR did it to Redden - he wasn’t there worse defenseman...but they didn’t like him and his cap hit - and circumvented it back then (now you can’t do that).    No way he’s not better then three or four of our signed forwards at the moment.  Maybe quite a few more if he had a bounce back year - which I think he just might have.

Gentleman’s bet on it. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

He'll been in tough to win a roster spot, but he's pretty even with a good chunk of the bottom 6, but his pk ability puts him above Leivo, imo.  

I just don't see him leaving millions on the table.  I don't see anyone leaving millions on the table, especially at the tail end of a career

Tough to say. Luongo just left millions on the table by not going ltir. I think especially those at the end of their career who have made close to 50 million throughout their career are more likely to leave money on the table compared to someone like Gagne who didn't make nearly as much. It's fine, tho, we can all have our predictions until we know for sure. I mean, who knows, maybe he shows up and offers more hustle this year and can, in fact, play his way on the team? But, then again, maybe he plays his way off the team at some point and gets traded or sent down later in the year. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Miller, Petterson, Boeser, Baer, Horvat, Pearson, Ferland, Sutter, Virtanen, Motte, Beagle, Leivo, *Roussel.

*IR

That's 13 guys I'd have on the roster ahead of him given his current ability and taking things like age, contract amount and value to the organization moving forward in to consideration. 

And that doesn't factor in any young guys pushing for spots or the (right or wrong) side show that will accompany him if he's still here that decrease his value/place in this roster even further.

He's WAAAAAAY far away from a shoe in for a starting 12 roster spot on this club now.

i think what green and benning think is more important than what we think. he’ll be given a chance to make this team if he isn’t traded. we all admit, he’ll be in tough to make it but they will give him that chance. it seems as though, people say he can’t possibly make the team, he won’t. i don’t think, that is how it works. 

35 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i think what green and benning think is more important than what we think. he’ll be given a chance to make this team if he isn’t traded. we all admit, he’ll be in tough to make it but they will give him that chance. it seems as though, people say he can’t possibly make the team, he won’t. i don’t think, that is how it works. 

No Joe, I'm saying that based on the last three years of evidence of his play, that we have equal or better options who are also younger, cheaper and more important to the organization moving forward and don't come attached with needless drama surrounding them (warranted or otherwise) who also play a style more suited to the coach and who haven't had their management publicly declare him 'better off elsewhere'... that he has a very SLIM hope of making this roster, as presently constructed. 

I am not however Kreskin. He, like everyone else, will need to earn whatever spot they do. My money would just be on him 'earning' being loaned to DAL's AHL affiliate. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

*IR

Contract amount and age don’t have much to do with icing the best team unless your a rebuilding team trying to give rookies a shot to see what you have which JB has made a statement against at this point giving away a first for Miller and adding Myers, Benn and Ferland and letting Pouilet and Hutton go.  Listen I get what your saying but don’t at all agree with the assessment that he’s the 14th forward on the team.   Motte and Leivo won’t produce the same all things equal (whatever line they are on) and Pearson, Bear, Ferland are debatable - same with Sutter and Beagle although I listed all of them ahead of LE with the exception of a Beagle.   I’m not sure what’s going to happen but I will say I’ve never seen a fan base throw a guy so far under the bus before.    Bear might play 60 games might play 20 hard to say.    Schaller will be clear waivers and play in Utica.  So will at least one more guy, if it’s LE so be it - nice message they will be sending.   Let’s agree to disagree, no way is he that bad but hey, guess 5th or whatever it was in forward scoring despite playing most of his time on the 3rd and 4th line makes him 14th best forward due to some math and eye test and gut hunches etc.   Motte, Leivo and Goldobin will never approach the career that LEs had.   Bad signing ? Absolutely. Should we bench him as a result ?  Well I’m not then coach, or GM but maybe, but it won’t have anything to do with who’s the best guy for the job if it is.

27 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Contract amount and age don’t have much to do with icing the best team unless your a rebuilding team trying to give rookies a shot to see what you have which JB has made a statement against at this point giving away a first for Miller and adding Myers, Benn and Ferland and letting Pouilet and Hutton go.  Listen I get what your saying but don’t at all agree with the assessment that he’s the 14th forward on the team.   Motte and Leivo won’t produce the same all things equal (whatever line they are on) and Pearson, Bear, Ferland are debatable - same with Sutter and Beagle although I listed all of them ahead of LE with the exception of a Beagle.   I’m not sure what’s going to happen but I will say I’ve never seen a fan base throw a guy so far under the bus before.    Bear might play 60 games might play 20 hard to say.    Schaller will be clear waivers and play in Utica.  So will at least one more guy, if it’s LE so be it - nice message they will be sending.   Let’s agree to disagree, no way is he that bad but hey, guess 5th or whatever it was in forward scoring despite playing most of his time on the 3rd and 4th line makes him 14th best forward due to some math and eye test and gut hunches etc.   Motte, Leivo and Goldobin will never approach the career that LEs had.   Bad signing ? Absolutely. Should we bench him as a result ?  Well I’m not then coach, or GM but maybe, but it won’t have anything to do with who’s the best guy for the job if it is.

Completely agree with you, and hope that the politics don't play too much in this situation!  He was a bad signing, but many of his UFA class were.  He's probably the best of the lot, and if he has a good year, with some help, we can move him. 

Eriksson is not our 13th or 14th forward.  Even when he doesn't bring it offensively, his defensive game more than keeps him in this lineup.  He's chafing not getting prime offensive minutes and steady linemates.  He's not trusted like he was back in the day when he was putting up points, and probably assumes that with more trust, better minutes and different team responsibilities, he could put up more points.  But, I look at all of you, who wouldn't be a little bit bitter, in his shoes.  I'm sure there is some blown out of proportion going on, some frustration, and definitely a little entitlement, but that doesn't mean he's going to throw away his career.   Bring him in, tell him what's what, be firm, and let him put it out on the line, or crumple.   But you don't take everything he's done and put him out there with shyte in a show of pettiness.  See how he shows, and go from there.  I can see him playing up and down the lineup, much like last season, but I also remember, when Horvat and Pearson were putting up their points, it was Eriksson getting the assists...  Let's see what a new season brings before errantly sending down a decent hockey player on an overpaid ufa contract to the minors because we want Motte to have more minutes.

Edited by Solinar
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

No Joe, I'm saying that based on the last three years of evidence of his play, that we have equal or better options who are also younger, cheaper and more important to the organization moving forward and don't come attached with needless drama surrounding them (warranted or otherwise) who also play a style more suited to the coach and who haven't had their management publicly declare him 'better off elsewhere'... that he has a very SLIM hope of making this roster, as presently constructed. 

I am not however Kreskin. He, like everyone else, will need to earn whatever spot they do. My money would just be on him 'earning' being loaned to DAL's AHL affiliate. 

Why would Dallas want a locker room cancer like this useless piece of trash on their farm team?  The last thing they'd want is the kids thinking the way this loser conducts himself is acceptable, either on or off the ice.  You can only ice so many vets a night in the AHL and no team in their right mind is going to waste a spot on a lazy, whining, entitled punk who can't handle being demoted to the 3rd line in a league he isn't good enough to play in anymore.  Utica's press box is the most likely outcome.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Why would Dallas want a locker room cancer like this useless piece of trash on their farm team?  The last thing they'd want is the kids thinking the way this loser conducts himself is acceptable, either on or off the ice.  You can only ice so many vets a night in the AHL and no team in their right mind is going to waste a spot on a lazy, whining, entitled punk who can't handle being demoted to the 3rd line in a league he isn't good enough to play in anymore.  Utica's press box is the most likely outcome.

I'll pretend I'm Tom.

"Who's on the phone?"

"Francessco"

"Busy"