The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interview with Travis Green

Rate this topic

PhillipBlunt

3 hours ago, stawns said:

wasted in the sense that he didn't react with hatred toward LE?

Naw, as I said a couple of days ago...……...…...Green was a player, and probably felt that way at some time

It is just too bad, Loui did not keep it out of the media...….

Other than that...…...I think the questions were questions of the obvious....as were the answers

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

"I like that Miller and Ferland are both capable of playing up and down the lineup."

This is the type of comment that gives me a certain degree of concern and could ultimately be Green's undoing.

I get the upside from a diversity of options, and see the positive, but the last thing I want to see is Miller and Ferland struggle to find chemistry with anyone because they're bouncing around the lineup too much.

I really wish he would have said ... Miller and Ferland really solidify our Top 6 and fill certain holes offensively and physicslly that we had last season, plus they both give us more options within our top two lines. As well, other options up and down the lineup if need be.

I don't see that as a negative at all. Ferland and Miller both bring sandpaper up and down the line up. Miller can play 3rd line center.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Disgruntler said:

I actually kinda ‘hmmmmd’ to myself on this part as well. Hopefully “up and down” means between the top 2 lines...

Hopefully! I'll give him the benefit of the doubt at this stage but I thought it was worth pointing out. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

I don't see that as a negative at all. Ferland and Miller both bring sandpaper up and down the line up. Miller can play 3rd line center.

Well, that's why I said I do see the upside and positive first. I do. But I also see the potential for that approach to go sideways. 

I'd rather not see Miller and Ferland bouncing around the bottom 6, leaving those same holes in our Top 6, and still experimenting when we finally have those Top 6 pieces. If that makes any sense. 

I'd rather Green focus on making the top two lines as potent as possible. 

But, hey, if Miller and Ferland go up and down the lineup and it works ... great! 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Well, that's why I said I do see the upside and positive first. I do. But I also see the potential for that approach to go sideways. 

I'd rather not see Miller and Ferland bouncing around the bottom 6, leaving those same holes in our Top 6, and still experimenting when we finally have those Top 6 pieces. If that makes any sense. 

But, hey, if Miller and Ferland go up and down the lineup and it works ... great! 

Those guys bring a game that if they're struggling offensively, they can be utilized in a "bottom 6" role until they get through their slump. Why label them "top 6" guys when they themselves have to earn their spot just like anyone else? I'd expect Miller to be a top 6 guy, but Ferland is paid well within reason to play on the 3rd line if need be (but that's just looking at it financially). It's like someone like Goldobin that is simply top 6 or bust, doesn't give you a lot of options on how to utilize the player, Green simply likes guys that can fit anywhere and are willing to do whatever it takes to win games.

Honestly nothing to worry about from the comment IMO, too much overanalyzing of every word said.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I doubt they will be on the 4th line. Don't mind them moving up and down the top 9.
I know what you mean though

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

SN: The team was still 25th in the league in scoring last season, 17th in goals-against and your special teams were average. Where are you going to be better?

That sounds like an indictment.

Not a question?

Thanks for posting.  But I did not like the interview. I personally don't want every interview to cover what Loui Eriksson said. I personally don't believe an interviewer needs an upper hand by reminding a coach his team was 25th in scoring. In theory to ask a question about where they would improve.

49 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Those guys bring a game that if they're struggling offensively, they can be utilized in a "bottom 6" role until they get through their slump. Why label them "top 6" guys when they themselves have to earn their spot just like anyone else? I'd expect Miller to be a top 6 guy, but Ferland is paid well within reason to play on the 3rd line if need be (but that's just looking at it financially). It's like someone like Goldobin that is simply top 6 or bust, doesn't give you a lot of options on how to utilize the player, Green simply likes guys that can fit anywhere and are willing to do whatever it takes to win games.

Honestly nothing to worry about from the comment IMO, too much overanalyzing of every word said.

Also Green could decide to play three scoring lines and spread out the offense if Gaudette had a strong camp.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Also Green could decide to play three scoring lines and spread out the offense if Gaudette had a strong camp.

Sure if Gaudette comes in strong, but they are still capable of having 3 "scoring lines" with the projected Baertschi on the 3rd line and an improving Virtanen and a healthy Sutter.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

well maybe we have a top 9 and a bottom 3 now  lol

I actually really appreciated that Green acknowledged he has had to rotate players in and out of Petey and Bo's wings because there was just a lack of depth or fit of players to be beside them.  Now he has an ample group with Ferly and Miller added.  Should allow him to relax and not line juggle so often and actually create some offensive chemistry with his lines.

• Upvote 1

Great interview by a solid coach. Green sounds like he really identifies with the team's new shape and he sounds like he knows he has a large variety of options in the toolbox this season. I especially like his attitude that 12-15 points is not a huge leap to make in the standings but it's going to come down to a lot of close games.

• Cheers 1

Green finally has the tools to put together a top 9 that can score and play solid defensively, a 4th line that can soak up defensive minutes without being a liability, and 3 balanced pairings that can transition and move the puck up ice efficiently while being defensively sound. Plus, there is now tools on place for a 2nd pp unit that can pitch in and depth in the event of injuries. Plus two goalies that can steal some games.

Camp is going to be very interesting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Naw, as I said a couple of days ago...……...…...Green was a player, and probably felt that way at some time

It is just too bad, Loui did not keep it out of the media...….

Other than that...…...I think the questions were questions of the obvious....as were the answers

I'm not sure if players are subject to media availability at that tournament. He didn't pull an Avery and call the media to make a statement though. His mistake was being honest in his answers and not giving stock team game 110 % type answers. Now we know why players do that.

Also Green pretty much acknowledged that Loui had already made those thoughts known to him last season. I agree that it was a pretty big slip up and he should have known better. Those statements were never an issue for me. The reason I would like to move on from him is that he doesn't fit with our style of play and what is expected from our bottom six.

Maybe he will come back to camp better, stronger, and faster.

• Cheers 1