The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interview with Travis Green

Rate this topic

PhillipBlunt

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Without a frickin' doubt. Just looking at the picture makes me queasy. And as far as using the washroom, I'd have done that upon being up there.

Here's one from after lunch.

construction-workers-steel-beam.jpg

F' that noise.

Friggin’ jam tarts wearing gloves. :lol:

• Haha 1

I guess if Ferland and/or Miller play on the 3rd line it could be considered a compliment to their Top 6. It's nice that the Canucks have a lot of options, and I expect camp to be very competitive. Curious to see how Baertschi does and if Golodbin, Gaudette and Virtanen are improved. 

• Upvote 1

Camp is going to be a battle. I just can't see Eriksson (if he's still around) making the team. New guys are in (Ferland and Miller) and younger guys like Virtanen, Goldobin, Gaudette and MacEwen will be fighting for spots. Even with Roussel out until Christmas, there just aren't enough spots for anyone to hide and do the bare minimum. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Those guys bring a game that if they're struggling offensively, they can be utilized in a "bottom 6" role until they get through their slump. Why label them "top 6" guys when they themselves have to earn their spot just like anyone else? I'd expect Miller to be a top 6 guy, but Ferland is paid well within reason to play on the 3rd line if need be (but that's just looking at it financially). It's like someone like Goldobin that is simply top 6 or bust, doesn't give you a lot of options on how to utilize the player, Green simply likes guys that can fit anywhere and are willing to do whatever it takes to win games.

Honestly nothing to worry about from the comment IMO, too much overanalyzing of every word said.

That's one way of looking at it, for sure. Totally get it. 

Or you could look it and say, we do have a history of line juggling and players confirming an inability to find chemistry. Our last two coaches love guys who can go up and down the lineup. 

I'm actually noting this, drawing attention to this, so people actually remember this if come December our lineup is a slot machine. 

The goal posts are moving from Miller and Ferland solidify our Top 6 to now they're Top 9.

8 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Now if he came out and said that Loui had better get his arse going and play like he wants to be on the club......…...…...that would be news!

That would be honest, and direct......…...but that is not happening, lol

Not in the way, I want him to say it, anyways!

Green is so good.  Loui is not a kid and if you check out his past record it is impressive.   He has had a hell of a career and earned his $6M AAV frankly.  Green said that he respects Loui and he also said that he is going to treat players based on their merit as a player [right now] not based on their salary.  

If Green does that, and I believe he will, Loui won't make the team unless he really impresses.  It's the harsh reality of being a pro.  His record gave him a long rope but, you have to impress every day.  And as this team is taking a step forward by adding to the top 6, players will be pushed down the depth chart and right off the team.  Hutton and Pouliot are gone, so is Spooner.  Gaudette likely starts in Utica and others will drop off.  Goldy and Loui imo unless things change.  The players all get this and Benning did want internal competieion.  Some players are going to have to fight for their careers.

What Green said and what you said amount to the same thing.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

It was the professional way of interviewing without giving it straight up but the language was easy to read through. 

“My job is to play the best Team”Translated Lou’s game isn’t good enough to be on the team as of last season. 

“He’s got to complete like everyone else to earn a spot”. Translated If for some reason he shows up with a different compete level and character I’d give home a look as of right now I’m not starting him, I want to look at a lot of other potentials. 

Poor LE it’s tough to see him back as a Canuck this season !  Big mountain to climb. 

Edited by Bertorama
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Or you could look it and say, we do have a history of line juggling and players confirming an inability to find chemistry. Our last two coaches love guys who can go up and down the lineup. 

I'm actually noting this, drawing attention to this, so people actually remember this if come December our lineup is a slot machine. 

The goal posts are moving from Miller and Ferland solidify our Top 6 to now they're Top 9.

Most teams line juggle. Even more so when you don't have the quality of players that can hold onto a top 6 role (which we haven't had over the last couple of coaches). If a line can consistently produce, then coaches won't mess with it. Most teams have a duo and cycle through the other winger until something clicks.

The comment he's made has given his player an out should they not crack the top 6 right away or if another player beats them out for a spot. If he called them top 6 guys and say Ferland starts on the 3rd line, people will either jump on Green for not putting him in the top 6 or jump on Ferland for not putting the effort to crack the top 6. The reality is he would be perfectly fine in a 3rd line role (or a 4th line energy role) which goes along with the notion that he can play up and down the lineup and there's nothing wrong with him being there. Maybe he fits better on a rough and tumble line with Sutter and Virtanen.

The only people that have pencilled both of these guys into the top 6 have been the fans. So the goal posts have never changed from the Canucks side of things as far as I could tell. Many posters have various lineup possibilities and any and all could work or be tried until a line clicks. I have no problem with this as I don't think Green loves to shuffle the lineup for no reason at all.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Radio guys on 650 talking Loui.  They’re saying ?Green gave Loui two options:  earn a spot on the team or play in ?Utica.  Awesome!  Loui is going to retire. 

Hot take - Travis Green is our MVP.

He won't get any recognition until we make the playoffs but he is SO important to our rebuild. Having EP fall into his lap was perfect too. Here's a rookie that does everything the right way and he's getting every opportunity to play. This is how we do things as a Canuck. Look at how dedicated Bo Horvat is. Look at how hard Motte, Stetcher and Roussel play. Look at how Tanev lays his body and arguably his bloody life on the line game after game. Look at what Sven Baertschi has gone through and how hard he's battled to come back and be a Vancouver Canuck when he could easily retire off that contract extension he signed. Look at the size and compete of the guys Benning brought in this offseason. Guys that chose Vancouver as a place to move their families to (and not away to Dallas of all places?!). 

Green is the PERFECT coach for our team and he has my support 100%

Even if he won't play Goldy ;)

Edited by VIC_CITY
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I don't know...….the question seemed a little predictable. 

I would like to have heard him answer questions like

1. How he sees our Power Play 

2. Who he thinks we will be fighting for a playoff spot with

3. What he expects from his new players

4. What his thoughts are on the young players pushing for jobs

5. Who might be a dark horse from Utica

6. Where he sees Virtanen and Gaudette

I think the Loui questions were going to be answered that way whether he answered them, Benning did or Loui did

I think Benning said it all, when he tried to trade him...……...

training camp hasn't even started yet

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I guess if Ferland and/or Miller play on the 3rd line it could be considered a compliment to their Top 6. It's nice that the Canucks have a lot of options, and I expect camp to be very competitive. Curious to see how Baertschi does and if Golodbin, Gaudette and Virtanen are improved. 

Yup. That's going to be so important. If one of Goldobin, Baertschi and Virtanen emerge as a legit top 6 forward, that would be HUGE. Even if we lose Goldobin on waivers but Baertschi and JV both take decent steps forward this year, that's a big deal too. If that happens AND Gaudette shows that he can succeed as 3C, we have to be a playoff team at that point.

In the end, it will likely come down to health. We need a break for once. Imagine we were in the bottom half of the league in injuries! Ya right.

7 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Sure if Gaudette comes in strong, but they are still capable of having 3 "scoring lines" with the projected Baertschi on the 3rd line and an improving Virtanen and a healthy Sutter.

That could be easily be a solid 50 goal 3rd line.

11 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Funny, I remember one of the complaints about Willie was his lack of flexibility, rolling the same 4 lines regardless of the circumstances. I think almost every coach would feel the same as Green, appreciating players whose skill sets can be used on different lines depending on the opposition and injuries. Worrying because he acknowledges this is not very realistic IMO.

11 hours ago, Bertorama said:

It was the professional way of interviewing without giving it straight up but the language was easy to read through. 

“My job is to play the best Team”Translated Lou’s game isn’t good enough to be on the team as of last season. 

“He’s got to complete like everyone else to earn a spot”. Translated If for some reason he shows up with a different compete level and character I’d give home a look as of right now I’m not starting him, I want to look at a lot of other potentials. 

Poor LE it’s tough to see him back as a Canuck this season !  Big mountain to climb. 

I love how Green dispells all the hullabaloo over this "rift", so those who are hell bent on this being a "thing" take his words and *translate" them to fit their narrative

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I love how Green dispells all the hullabaloo over this "rift", so those who are hell bent on this being a "thing" take his words and *translate" them to fit their narrative

I think from Green’s POV there is no rift.  Loui has to earn a spot, or he’s cut and off the Utica.  Loui, being a once top player in the league (and payed for that top play) believes he’s entitled to a role that fits his resume.  Loui is the one who thinks there’s a rift.  He’s the one who’s been complaining to management (for at least a full season) about his role.  

I still say Loui retires before he gets put on waivers.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I think from Green’s POV there is no rift.  Loui has to earn a spot, or he’s cut and off the Utica.  Loui, being a once top player in the league (and payed for that top play) believes he’s entitled to a role that fits his resume.  Loui is the one who thinks there’s a rift.  He’s the one who’s been complaining to management (for at least a full season) about his role.  

I still say Loui retires before he gets put on waivers.  

I totally agree with everything up to Loui retiring before waivers .... If he still thinks he is still the player from Boston he probably would still want to play somewhere in the NHL . Retiring means never  again . I don't think he leaves the 9 million on the table I wouldn't  but then I don't have his 55 mill career earnings  !!!