The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interview with Travis Green

Rate this topic

PhillipBlunt

32 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Always felt they rushed things with Naslund and just went with the highest scorer.  Liked Jovo better for it at the time.   H Sedin was fine, a great captain and player,  but I’m hoping this time they go with a N.A. guy.  We aren’t privy to what goes on in the dressing room and the outside optics have crowned Horvat the next C for two plus years... As a team we don’t have too many overall, they gave Luongo the C and it was a bad fit.  Maybe the same could be said of Horvat (I doubt it), but you have to wonder why it’s taking so long - as in the teams not completely sold on that selection and as in maybe he’s not interested (which is not a bad thing either - Bobby Clarke one of the greatest leaders ever denied the C twice before taking it) .   Would be surprised if it isn’t Horvat - but if it isn’t there will be a good reason for it.   

Yeah, not disagreeing with anything you pointed out. I just looked at his comment and saw a relation to the overall approach and understand the benefits. I can't say it's not reflective of the overall approach because I see the similarity and tie-in. If they just fluked upon that, well, there is a benefit ... lol.

You raise an interesting point about the possibility of Horvat not being interested or turning it down. I don't think he'd turn it down because he doesn't want the role or responsibility. Like you said, outside optics crowned him future captain years ago when no other prospects were here. That really left no room for anyone else. I can see him turning that scenario down. 

I think it's more likely he'd want it to be a team decision and happen organically if it's right for the team ... even if it isn't him. 

The interesting part is when Green says they don't want to put that type of pressure on someone who's not ready. This upcoming year will be Horvat's sixth season. Who knows, could just be smoke & mirrors deflection.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

What we can take from that is that the captain will be a "him" and also that it's likely one of the younger guys (ruling out Edler, Tanev, and even Eriksson!).

Could very well be ... he did say they don't want to put that pressure on someone who's not ready. 

52 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Could very well be ... he did say they don't want to put that pressure on someone who's not ready. 

I actually Edler is a great candidate and would serve for just about the right amount of time until someone is legitimately ready for that role

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

I would be shocked if it was Edler. just because he seems like a very quiet guy and doesn't want to mix it up to protect his team mates or complain to the refs, etc. He just goes about his business, quietly. Enough with the timid Swedes as captain. Bo's the man, and my guess is it's already been decided, Green just can't talk about Captain Bo. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/2/2019 at 9:50 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

The takeaways about Loui that I think I hear are, if Loui shows up and commits to the system and outperforms someone he'll get a spot. I don't think Green gives a whiff about media comments, its meaningless compared to the face to face discussions players and coaches have.

You can really hear the excitement about the new additions too. 

I'm more excited about a season this year than I've been since 2011. We'll see where it goes but I like the composition of the team on paper at least, which i haven't been able to say for a while. 

The translation - or at least the idea that there was a 'lack of trust' in Eriksson - never made any sense. 

First - Green would never utilize a guy he doesn't 'trust' the way he uses LE - LE with 38% ozone starts, and a secondary penalty killer - was certainly 'trusted' - probably only the likes of Sutter, Beagle, perhaps a few other forwards , had as much or more 'trust' than Eriksson.

Really, it's about the type of minutes he played imo - not necessarily conducive to a whole lot of production - and ironically, even there, Green is not the kind of coach that devalues those players he leans on to play more of the matchup/harder minutes - if anything, he values those players quite highly.

So what I suspect - and have all along - is that Eriksson was asked about his relative lack of production, and his answer likely pointed out the obvious - what his role has been under Green, and beyond that, he hasn't exactly had any extended stretches of proving / earning more offensive opportunity - has obviously struggled - but only part of that can be attributed to harder minutes, which certainly don't indicate a lack of 'trust' in any event.

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The translation - or at least the idea that there was a 'lack of trust' in Eriksson - never made any sense. 

First - Green would never utilize a guy he doesn't 'trust' the way he uses LE - LE with 38% ozone starts, and a secondary penalty killer - was certainly 'trusted' - probably only the likes of Sutter, Beagle, perhaps a few other forwards , had as much or more 'trust' than Eriksson.

Really, it's about the type of minutes he played imo - not necessarily conducive to a whole lot of production - and ironically, even there, Green is not the kind of coach that devalues those players he leans on to play more of the matchup/harder minutes - if anything, he values those players quite highly.

So what I suspect - and have all along - is that Eriksson was asked about his relative lack of production, and his answer likely pointed out the obvious - what his role has been under Green, and beyond that, he hasn't exactly had any extended stretches of proving / earning more offensive opportunity - has obviously struggled - but only part of that can be attributed to harder minutes, which certainly don't indicate a lack of 'trust' in any event.

which is why i think Green is saying he was surprised at the public comments, Loui was in a trusted role as you say. I'm sure Green will talk with Loui 1-1 if there isn't a trade and figure out if there is something to be done. Given the 3 new additions to the top 6 in Pearson, Ferland and Miller I think the writing is on the wall for Loui that 3rd line minutes are the best its going to get in terms of production opportunities and likely more time in exactly the same way he's been used to date. 

I'm not surprised Loui is frustrated, he clearly thinks he can do more. I think he had a nice little run there with Peason and Bo for I think 12 games or so and showed he can keep up at least in the assist column,  but thats not going to be a thing again unless we hit a massive injury situation. 

Loui did get a little PP time as well - this year the 2nd unit should be a lot better so if he's on that again his numbers might pop up a bit. If he actually reached 40pts per season it would probably quell a lot of the moaning about him. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

which is why i think Green is saying he was surprised at the public comments, Loui was in a trusted role as you say. I'm sure Green will talk with Loui 1-1 if there isn't a trade and figure out if there is something to be done. Given the 3 new additions to the top 6 in Pearson, Ferland and Miller I think the writing is on the wall for Loui that 3rd line minutes are the best its going to get in terms of production opportunities and likely more time in exactly the same way he's been used to date. 

I'm not surprised Loui is frustrated, he clearly thinks he can do more. I think he had a nice little run there with Peason and Bo for I think 12 games or so and showed he can keep up at least in the assist column,  but thats not going to be a thing again unless we hit a massive injury situation. 

Loui did get a little PP time as well - this year the 2nd unit should be a lot better so if he's on that again his numbers might pop up a bit. If he actually reached 40pts per season it would probably quell a lot of the moaning about him. 

And this is an area he also did not capitalize on opportunities.

He may have 'only' had 1:16 / game of pp ice-time (that's actually more than he killed in penalties...)  but when you look at that 1:16 x 81 games - and his 3 powerplay points last year - that's 3 points in over 100 powerplay minutes....that doesn't keep many players on the powerplay.    Part of that can be chalked up to a context where the 2nd unit wasn't particularly strong - perhaps especially in it's blueline options (even worse when Edler was out of the lineup) - but still, that is pretty anemic powerplay production for LE.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

And this is an area he also did not capitalize on opportunities.

He may have 'only' had 1:16 / game of pp ice-time (that's actually more than he killed in penalties...)  but when you look at that 1:16 x 81 games - and his 3 powerplay points last year - that's 3 points in over 100 powerplay minutes....that doesn't keep many players on the powerplay.    Part of that can be chalked up to a context where the 2nd unit wasn't particularly strong - perhaps especially in it's blueline options (even worse when Edler was out of the lineup) - but still, that is pretty anemic powerplay production for LE.

it is.... but his PP line mates were pretty brutal a lot of the time: https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/players/loui-eriksson

If Loui does come back at least he should have a much improved PP2 to work with. 

4 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Yeah, not disagreeing with anything you pointed out. I just looked at his comment and saw a relation to the overall approach and understand the benefits. I can't say it's not reflective of the overall approach because I see the similarity and tie-in. If they just fluked upon that, well, there is a benefit ... lol.

You raise an interesting point about the possibility of Horvat not being interested or turning it down. I don't think he'd turn it down because he doesn't want the role or responsibility. Like you said, outside optics crowned him future captain years ago when no other prospects were here. That really left no room for anyone else. I can see him turning that scenario down. 

I think it's more likely he'd want it to be a team decision and happen organically if it's right for the team ... even if it isn't him. 

The interesting part is when Green says they don't want to put that type of pressure on someone who's not ready. This upcoming year will be Horvat's sixth season. Who knows, could just be smoke & mirrors deflection.

reading between what green said, they have talked about it a lot and don’t want to put pressure on any one player. he said he liked the leadership group. he also said when they name a captain, fans will expect that player to change the team’s fortunes around. i read, that they want the shared leadership to move this team forward. just my thought.

Edited by smithers joe
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

reading between what green said, they have talked about it a lot and don’t want to put pressure on any one player. he said he liked the leadership group. he also said when they name a captain, fans will expect that player to change the team’s fortunes around. i read, that they want the shared leadership to move this team forward. just my thought.

Agree with you. I mentioned the shared leadership part in my first post. :)

4 hours ago, stawns said:

I actually Edler is a great candidate and would serve for just about the right amount of time until someone is legitimately ready for that role

I wouldn't mind that if they were thinking interim solution. I wonder if he'd even want it at this stage. 

But ...

Would be funny if by "ready" ... they were really trying to give it to Edler last year and he was like, "No, I'm not ready. Maybe next year if I'm still here." And now the team is asking him again and he's like, "No, not ready yet!"

Behind closed doors, Green is like, "Come on, man!" And then the season starts, Green goes back to him. Edler's quiet in the locker room, "Nope, still not ready!" And the team is like, "Why isn't Eddy captain?" The next day Green is back in front of the media, saying, "You know, we don't want to put pressure on someone who's not ready."

Lol ...

My dog days of summer sitcom take. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I would be shocked if it was Edler. just because he seems like a very quiet guy and doesn't want to mix it up to protect his team mates or complain to the refs, etc. He just goes about his business, quietly. Enough with the timid Swedes as captain. Bo's the man, and my guess is it's already been decided, Green just can't talk about Captain Bo. 

56B7E99C-8ED8-48CD-BE58-76AD304C78EC.png

• Cheers 1

On 8/6/2019 at 10:51 AM, oldnews said:

imagine if they'd kept Gudbranson, brought in Ferland, Roussel, Benn, Miller - and Kassian....

Miller EP Boeser

Ferland Horvat Virtanen

Roussel Sutter Motte

Leivo Beagle Kassian

(Baertschi, LE, Goldy, Schaller)

Edler Tanev

Hughes Myers

Benn Gud

(Juolevi Stecher)

That would be fun to watch / nasty to play against.

A bit too bottlenecked at this point - no real room for Kass or Gud - but that would be one helluva grit-filled lineup for a change.

We all like a team with grit.  Not only is it a more satisfying game to watch, we all know that grit wins play off games.  Having said that, players with grit who can't play is no good either.  In the extreme, this is exactly why nobody has enforcers any more.  All players have to be able to contribute at a minimum.  Gudbranson for example, grit, size, can fight, leadership and character in spades but....can't skate, often out of position.....not helping.  Kassian, is a better player but has an inconsistent effort and is a disruptive influence on the other members of the team.

I am liking players like Miller who brings the grit and the size to add a physical element to the top line while not making a sacrifice of skill.  Ferland is another.  Benn is a good 3rd pair D who brings all these elements but doesn't hurt you skill wise and can play up the line up for short periods.  Roussel and Pearson are others.  

Like the grit, just want players with speed, skill, and character too.  Loved the never say die attitude of the Canucks last year.  They played hard to the final whistle.  That's hard to play against too and the come backs were there last year.  Love that too.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

I don't think there's any doubt at this point is there?  Are they hedging between Horvat and EP or Hughes?  I think that what you say here is exactly the approach that they were taking last year and until they make the final call, which I think may have been made already, they're just waiting for the best time to make the announcement (Home Opener) and until then, they will stick with the same explanation. 

It's all good.  I can be patient and play along.  I think we all know what is coming.  "Cap" is our boy.  :bigblush:

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

We all like a team with grit.  Not only is it a more satisfying game to watch, we all know that grit wins play off games.  Having said that, players with grit who can't play is no good either.  In the extreme, this is exactly why nobody has enforcers any more.  All players have to be able to contribute at a minimum.  Gudbranson for example, grit, size, can fight, leadership and character in spades but....can't skate, often out of position.....not helping.  Kassian, is a better player but has an inconsistent effort and is a disruptive influence on the other members of the team.

I am liking players like Miller who brings the grit and the size to add a physical element to the top line while not making a sacrifice of skill.  Ferland is another.  Benn is a good 3rd pair D who brings all these elements but doesn't hurt you skill wise and can play up the line up for short periods.  Roussel and Pearson are others.  

Like the grit, just want players with speed, skill, and character too.  Loved the never say die attitude of the Canucks last year.  They played hard to the final whistle.  That's hard to play against too and the come backs were there last year.  Love that too.

Agree to disagree on that one-liner 'can't skate, unable to contribute at a minimum, out of position, not helping' spin/oversimplification where Gud is concerned - and not going to bother discussing Kassian at length other that to say he doesn't hold more value than Gud imo, but is improved and stories about disruptiveness years ago don't really concern me - the point wasn't really optimiziing the lineup overall - it was simply the grit that has come through Vancouver in recent years (of course I'd take Miller over Kassian, etc).  

'Imagine' if Dorse hadn't suffered that career ending injury and you could throw him out there with Roussel Sutter Dorsett - that would be a fun line to watch imo.

9 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I didn't get the feeling he was upset. He said he was surprised it went public but he didn't seem, "up set". The "media" is what is going to make this out to be more but TG is far too smart to fall for their silliness. There are many other players that are going to be much more interesting to talk about this season then LE. 

Like I said, when JB is afforded an opportunity to move him, he will be moved.

There is an opportunity; it's called Utica's press box.

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

This, this is what I've been talking about too.  Having a pylon that is tough with intangibles doesn't help, if he isn't helping you win too.  And we need more than one guy like that, and we need more skill, more speed, more ....everything.

Best part about this off season, is that we actually went out and got people who are hard to play against, who are skilled, who have that size, and added to the tenacity that we had going last season, where the team played to the last whistle.  The more you look at it, the more you hear from the coach, from the players, everyone is excited, they want to be at camp, they want the season to start now.  That's going to be infectious if they have early success, and hopefully they'll learn from the adversity faced last year to push them even harder this year.  These guys are hungry, and they want to win.  They don't want a better chance at the draft lotto, they want the playoffs. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Agree to disagree on that one-liner 'can't skate, unable to contribute at a minimum, out of position, not helping' spin/oversimplification where Gud is concerned - and not going to bother discussing Kassian at length other that to say he doesn't hold more value than Gud imo, but is improved and stories about disruptiveness years ago don't really concern me - the point wasn't really optimiziing the lineup overall - it was simply the grit that has come through Vancouver in recent years (of course I'd take Miller over Kassian, etc).  

'Imagine' if Dorse hadn't suffered that career ending injury and you could throw him out there with Roussel Sutter Dorsett - that would be a fun line to watch imo.

I was looking for a chance at rebuttal not to take a shot and by your response I think you get that......we both agree of the importance of grit and Dorsett is proof that Benning always wanted that element on his team.  I have all the time in the world for Dorsett.  A real class act.  

• Upvote 2