The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

if you were writing to a dating site......

Rate this topic

I would make it very clear that I'm not going to bother speaking to anyone openly seeking a 'genuine' person on their profile; anyone who feels the need to write that into their bio exaggerates their ability to interpret sincerity in others and clearly needs to self-grandify by pretending the particular people they get along with are the only 'real' ones and all the others merely actors. It's pristine silly.

7 minutes ago, 112 said:

I would make it very clear that I'm not going to bother speaking to anyone openly seeking a 'genuine' person on their profile; anyone who feels the need to write that into their bio exaggerates their ability to interpret sincerity in others and clearly needs to self-grandify by pretending the particular people they get along with are the only 'real' ones and all the others merely actors. It's pristine silly.

kind of like a john wayne line in a movie. when his wife finds another women sitting on his lap, “are you going to believe what you see or what i tell you?"

Edited by smithers joe
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
15 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i think we all want people to think we’re cooler than we really are, but honesty won’t turn others off like dishonestly will. 

The trick is to make sure you can keep up the charade long enough to get benefit/gratification. It doesn't need to be sustainable; it needs to last only long enough for your purposes. Of course- one can't sacrifice reputation. Keep people you're dishonest with away from your other circles.

i would never had done well on a dating sites because i would  always be brutally honest. i would have told her all my faults and short comings. she would have scurried away so fast. when i first met my wife, she knew how much sports were a part of my life. she gave me every indication that she loved them too. after we were married she admitted she didn’t like sports at all. i didn’t like that about her. 

• Upvote 1