The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Suggestions for a Vancouver visit

Jayinblack

So despite being born in North Van (a long time ago) and being a Canuck fan in Ontario forever, I haven't been back to BC in 26 years !

But since one of my daughters is wrapping up a work term there this month, I'll be flying there in couple weeks for a visit and to keep her company on the drive back to Ontario. 

I'm there between Aug 21 - 28, and will have the 23/24 wknd to myself while she's on the island with friends, and was wondering if any of you could suggest anything of:

• Canuck-related events going on ?  (might do the Rogers tour and definitely hitting the store there)
  • best restaurants / sports pubs / clubs  
  • local beers / foods (had amazing oysters and beer on Granville Island the last time i was there)
  • activities/tours to check out (was thinking about zip-lining and a boat tour)

Even things to avoid helps ::D    Thanks in advance.

19 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

So despite being born in North Van (a long time ago) and being a Canuck fan in Ontario forever, I haven't been back to BC in 26 years !

But since one of my daughters is wrapping up a work term there this month, I'll be flying there in couple weeks for a visit and to keep her company on the drive back to Ontario. 

I'm there between Aug 21 - 28, and will have the 23/24 wknd to myself while she's on the island with friends, and was wondering if any of you could suggest anything of:

• Canuck-related events going on ?  (might do the Rogers tour and definitely hitting the store there)
  • best restaurants / sports pubs / clubs  
  • local beers / foods (had amazing oysters and beer on Granville Island the last time i was there)
  • activities/tours to check out (was thinking about zip-lining and a boat tour)

Even things to avoid helps ::D    Thanks in advance.

antons pasta bar in burnaby  and tasty indian bistro in yale town are must go. Do the grouse grind take a 110 minute drive up to Whistler for a day.

My suggestion is for the drive home.

When going thru Calgary, let your daughter drive so you can moon all the Flames fans. :towel:

On a more serious note, what an awesome way to spend some quality time with your daughter.  Whatever you decide to do with your time,  I'm sure you'll be making some great memories for you both. Have a great time!

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

antons pasta bar in burnaby  and tasty indian bistro in yale town are must go. Do the grouse grind take a 110 minute drive up to Whistler for a day.

Great, thanks!   Ya i thought about the grind.  If we get up there to zip-line then probably will.

3 minutes ago, Kragar said:

My suggestion is for the drive home.

When going thru Calgary, let your daughter drive so you can moon all the Flames fans. :towel:

On a more serious note, what an awesome way to spend some quality time with your daughter.  Whatever you decide to do with your time,  I'm sure you'll be making some great memories for you both. Have a great time!

Ha... except probably driving the US way since my brother is in Seattle.   

I let my other daughter drive out there with her (with dad's credit card of course) so she wasn't alone, and they had a great time together.  Now it's my turn ::D

We've spent a lot of time driving together since I've always coached their travel ball and ringette teams.   We'll be singing most of the way for sure.

Thanks!

• Cheers 1

I suggest bringing lots of money...like A LOT hahaha! I had a friend come from Mexico and I ended up spending about $800 to $900 for the week (5 days) But we were doing tourist stuff : The Gondola at Grouse, The Aquarium, Capilano Suspension Bridge, etc...  It’s pretty expensive all together but the scenery in Vancouver will always make up for it, she couldn’t believe how beautiful it was here! Oh if you get a chance go for ramen noodles! 

Stanley Park Seawall is . must....  run it,  walk it, bike it  or rollerblade it.   It is a must do.

I like to start at coal harbour near convention centre and finish at  denman or go all the way to science world.    You can take a beer and sit on a patio  along the way....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

Man, I've got to get out more! :(

Thanks.

The area where the zoo was now mainly centers around a train that runs a few times a year, Halloween and Christmas mainly. I miss that old zoo though. It was a hidden gem in the park.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Upvote 1