Canucks Community

Suggestions for a Vancouver visit

Jayinblack

Are the pools around the sea wall open?

Capilano suspension bridge

maybe arrange a micro brewery tour

go see the old Gas Town clock

day trip to, or through, the Southern Gulf Islands, just walk aboard a BC Ferry

just driving up to Squamish or Whistler can be spectacular, and there is a high end car rental company that can "lend" you some exotic cars      http://www.seatoskyexotic.com/

Had friends do the Rogers tour, said it was cool. You never know who you'll meet. Could be a day when a lot of players are there.

For beer/food ... head to the Alibi Room in Gastown. Postmark Brewing is only a few blocks east from there not far away. Stanley Park Brewing just opened in the park as well. Check out Tap & Barrel Waterfront, it's right beside the Olympic Cauldron.

Collective Soul and Gin Blossoms are playing the PNE on the 24th, Smokey Robinson on the 23rd ... STYX on the 25th.

There's a 3-hour boat cruise and dinner to Bowen Island or other harbour tours. Just google boat cruise Vancouver.

To comment on some of these suggestions:

1. The Grouse Grind: This is not a leisurely hike. It is a 45 - 80 minute intense workout. I wouldn't suggest it at all unless you are prepare for that.

2. Peaceful Noodle: This place is very hit or miss. For fresh noodles on that street, I'd go to Shaolin Noodle House instead. 

3. Brewery/beer tours: The best area will be around Main/Commercial Drive. Many breweries all within biking/walking distance of eachother. Start at a place like Parallel 49 or Brassneck and fan out from there.  

4. Do not go to Tacofino. Go to La Taqueria. 

Definitely get some seafood. However, keep in mind this is not the best time of the year to get Oysters, clams, and muscles. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BettyWhites44 said:

I suggest bringing lots of money...like A LOT hahaha! I had a friend come from Mexico and I ended up spending about $800 to $900 for the week (5 days) But we were doing tourist stuff : The Gondola at Grouse, The Aquarium, Capilano Suspension Bridge, etc...  It’s pretty expensive all together but the scenery in Vancouver will always make up for it, she couldn’t believe how beautiful it was here! Oh if you get a chance go for ramen noodles! 

Ramen for sure !   My daughter loves them so we get them when we can.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Had friends do the Rogers tour, said it was cool. You never know who you'll meet. Could be a day when a lot of players are there.

For beer/food ... head to the Alibi Room in Gastown. Postmark Brewing is only a few blocks east from there not far away. Stanley Park Brewing just opened in the park as well. Check out Tap & Barrel Waterfront, it's right beside the Olympic Cauldron.

Collective Soul and Gin Blossoms are playing the PNE on the 24th, Smokey Robinson on the 23rd ... STYX on the 25th.

There's a 3-hour boat cruise and dinner to Bowen Island or other harbour tours. Just google boat cruise Vancouver.

Excellent.  yes i'm hoping a rogers tour will run into some players.  where i live in SW ont is where Todd Warriner is from, so i've met him a few times.  Bo's hometown is 1/2 hour away but haven't lucked into running into him.

Definitely going to find some live music, as i go to concerts all the time in either TO or Detroit.

I found a cruise up indian arm which looked good, but might want to go ocean side instead.

Edited by Jayinblack

1 hour ago, Jayinblack said:

Looks like I'll be spending a couple of days in Tofino as well... learning how to surf apparently  :shock:

First time on the island for me.

Now you're talking, Van Isl is the best.

Tofino , the true West Coast. What a great place, Ucluelet too!

Stop by in Combs on the way and say hi to the Goats on the roof, grab some ice cream and have a look at all the big Chinese statues.

Hit Cathedral Grove too if you can. Old growth.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jayinblack said:

Looks like I'll be spending a couple of days in Tofino as well... learning how to surf apparently  :shock:

First time on the island for me.

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Now you're talking, Van Isl is the best.

Tofino , the true West Coast. What a great place, Ucluelet too!

Stop by in Combs on the way and say hi to the Goats on the roof, grab some ice cream and have a look at all the big Chinese statues.

Hit Cathedral Grove too if you can. Old growth.

Whale watching tours out of Tofino, take a couple of non drowsy Gravol before getting in the boat , and a couple of spare water bottles.

As Bishop mentioned stop in Coombs, look at the goats on the roof and have a buffalo burger. Also there is a metal dinosaur on the right side of the road, don'r know if it just one or if more have been made.

Cathedral Grove has some of the biggest trees you will see in your life, 15 people in a circle holding hands to wrap around that tree!

Tofino maybe a bit more expensive that Ucluelet.

If you're heading to the US, I'd hop off 99 and head into Steveston for a day.   There's good food (a great Italian and Greek restaurant, fish and chips, etc.) and lots of shops...a nice place for an outing.   On the 24th there's a beer fest that's becoming very popular. 

We went to Mahoney's at Stamps Landing on the weekend - it was awful, start to finish.  I wouldn't recommend it.  Romers has great (but pricey) burgers...love that they put a dollop of garlic Boursin cheese on top.  Granville Island's a bit of a zoo now...pay parking now, so people drive around and around trying to figure it out.

Indian Roti Kitchen on Cambie (south end of the Bridge) is good.

Remember, the PNE is on (and there's racing at Hastings too).  So, depending on what you're after ... a good place to go or avoid.  Expect crowds in the Hastings/Renfrew area.

On 8/6/2019 at 9:35 AM, Kragar said:

My suggestion is for the drive home.

When going thru Calgary, let your daughter drive so you can moon all the Flames fans. :towel:

On a more serious note, what an awesome way to spend some quality time with your daughter.  Whatever you decide to do with your time,  I'm sure you'll be making some great memories for you both. Have a great time!

....and if she's a lousy driver, she'll fit right in with the locals.....B)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

If you're heading to the US, I'd hop off 99 and head into Steveston for a day.   There's good food (a great Italian and Greek restaurant, fish and chips, etc.) and lots of shops...a nice place for an outing.   On the 24th there's a beer fest that's becoming very popular. 

We went to Mahoney's at Stamps Landing on the weekend - it was awful, start to finish.  I wouldn't recommend it.  Romers has great (but pricey) burgers...love that they put a dollop of garlic Boursin cheese on top.  Granville Island's a bit of a zoo now...pay parking now, so people drive around and around trying to figure it out.

Indian Roti Kitchen on Cambie (south end of the Bridge) is good.

Remember, the PNE is on (and there's racing at Hastings too).  So, depending on what you're after ... a good place to go or avoid.  Expect crowds in the Hastings/Renfrew area.

Hey thanks Deb... yes I'll be in the US first actually, visiting my brother in Seattle for a few days.

I should've thought of it sooner but I'll grab a ticket and catch the Lions game on the 24th.  Never been able to see them (or the Canucks) play a home game.

Def will be hitting Granville, but when i'm downtown that wknd it'll be all walking or Uber.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

....and if she's a lousy driver, she'll fit right in with the locals.....B)

Funny story... i'd fly out and spend my summers in Alberta with my dad and work delivering new cars all over.  His #1 piece of advice was to avoid any pickups with guys in the back cause they'd throw empties at nice cars.  Sure enough....