The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Suggestions for a Vancouver visit

Jayinblack

Just now, Jayinblack said:

Funny story... i'd fly out and spend my summers in Alberta with my dad and work delivering new cars all over.  His #1 piece of advice was to avoid any pickups with guys in the back cause they'd throw empties at nice cars.  Sure enough....

Many years ago, Alberta had distinctive yellow license plates.....

....the story, as related by a friend went that a visitor from the US remarked on how smart the system was in BC...."you give all the lousy drivers yellow plates!"

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

On 8/6/2019 at 9:04 AM, CowBoyCoyote said:

east hastings is nice that time of year

Can’t come all this way and not experience Surrey too, right?  Maybe take Skytrain to Surrey?  Wow!  Now there’s a day-trip, and it’s only a couple bucks.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

if you see this sign, turn around.

Image result for surrey bc sign

Ha, yes i've heard that before.  My daugher was initially in Langley at the start of the summer but had to find a new place when some pipes burst. 

Her choices were Surrey or Burnaby (where she is now).

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Many years ago, Alberta had distinctive yellow license plates.....

....the story, as related by a friend went that a visitor from the US remarked on how smart the system was in BC...."you give all the lousy drivers yellow plates!"

Must be true... i bought my first car in Alberta when i was 15 and drove it back to SW Ont the next year (needed to be 16 here).

i kept my AB insurance throughout university cause it was so much cheaper.

Still have my WHITE AB plates. 

3 minutes ago, Jayinblack said:

Must be true... i bought my first car in Alberta when i was 15 and drove it back to SW Ont the next year (needed to be 16 here).

i kept my AB insurance throughout university cause it was so much cheaper.

Still have my WHITE AB plates. 

Yeah, they've been white with orange (I think) lettering for quite a while now....

Just got back from the Okanagan and it seemed like every second vehicle on the road had Alberta plates, which shows that they at least know where to go for entertainment that doesn't involve cows and horses....

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

....and if she's a lousy driver, she'll fit right in with the locals.....B)

One thing that drove me nuts when I was in the Vancouver area... the number of Alberta RVs on the road, during rush hour!

Although, to be fair, that happens down here too.  Just not Albertan ones so much

Just one of my many pet peeves.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Jayinblack said:

Hey thanks Deb... yes I'll be in the US first actually, visiting my brother in Seattle for a few days.

I should've thought of it sooner but I'll grab a ticket and catch the Lions game on the 24th.  Never been able to see them (or the Canucks) play a home game.

Def will be hitting Granville, but when i'm downtown that wknd it'll be all walking or Uber.

No Uber in Vancouver. Supposedly we're getting it sometime before 2020....but I have my doubts. 

4 hours ago, Jayinblack said:

Ha, yes i've heard that before.  My daugher was initially in Langley at the start of the summer but had to find a new place when some pipes burst. 

Her choices were Surrey or Burnaby (where she is now).

Burnaby is a crap hole.  She should have moved to Surrey.  Crescent beach is a beautiful area. Most homes look like this one...

original.jpg?v=1

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Burnaby is a crap hole.  She should have moved to Surrey.  Crescent beach is a beautiful area. Most homes look like this one...

You defending Surrey always puts a smile on my face.  Just like @apollo talking about our Canucks.

Just in case you are looking for work: https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Jobs/Cherry-Picker/-in-Surrey,BC ;) 

Don't ever change!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Does that home come with swarming groups of teenagers for me to fight, or do I  have to go to the mall for that?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, taxi said:

No Uber in Vancouver. Supposedly we're getting it sometime before 2020....but I have my doubts. 

By the time it gets here, it will be probably more expensive to use than cabs.

Uber posted 5.2 Billion in loses in their first quarter this year and lots of their drivers are striking over low wages. 

On 8/6/2019 at 10:29 AM, BettyWhites44 said:

I suggest bringing lots of money...like A LOT hahaha! I had a friend come from Mexico and I ended up spending about $800 to $900 for the week (5 days) But we were doing tourist stuff : The Gondola at Grouse, The Aquarium, Capilano Suspension Bridge, etc...  It’s pretty expensive all together but the scenery in Vancouver will always make up for it, she couldn’t believe how beautiful it was here! Oh if you get a chance go for ramen noodles! 

There are lots of things one can do for free here...you listed off costly tourist traps. You can do the Lynn Valley Suspension Bridge for free and have a meal/drink at the cafe on the patio amongst the trees...amazing ambience and the smell of the trees is divine. I don't support the Aquarium...I'm a scuba diver and hate seeing the sea life like whales and dolphins in such small pools...also the entrance fee is a rip off! Excellent Chinese food restaurant is Wo's 8166 Main street in Vancouver...nothing fancy, maybe ten tables, but the food is fresh and inexpensive...it never disappoints. For good fish and chips, check out Dave's in Steveston (Richmond)...great crab cakes too.  Keep in mind that B.C. stands for Bring Cash...it's expensive but doesn't have to be. Lots of gorgeous fresh lakes to visit too...such as Rolley, Stave and Hayward (all in Mission area).

4 hours ago, Kragar said:

One thing that drove me nuts when I was in the Vancouver area... the number of Alberta RVs on the road, during rush hour!

Although, to be fair, that happens down here too.  Just not Albertan ones so much

Just one of my many pet peeves.

I find Albertan drivers have their indicators removed from their vehicles and they enjoy using turning lanes to pass.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

....and if she's a lousy driver, she'll fit right in with the locals.....B)

Probably has to do with all the flatlanders people from Ontario and the maritimes....ohh and people from surrey.

Edited by Violator

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Does that home come with swarming groups of teenagers for me to fight, or do I  have to go to the mall for that?

You live in merritt in a trailer so u should not be talking.... LOL 

south surrey is super beautiful ocean front.  Great  ocean fronts / views 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Haha 1