The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the Bobby Orr goal over rated?

Rate this topic

Gator

Is the Bobby Orr Stanley Cup winning goal over rated?  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's by far the most overrated goal in the sport. He only went flying after the puck had gone in... the level of skill required to score that goal is nothing in comparison to the goal the Sedins combined for in 2010 vs the Flames on April 10th when Henrik CEMENTED his scoring championship after going between the legs, on a blind pass to Daniel for a magical finish vs Mikka Kiprusoff. 

It’s just iconic. That’s it. Better goals are scored every NHL season.

Same goes for the players. Would Gretzky score as much as he did in today’s NHL? Don’t think so. Would Orr? Nah. Sometimes we overvalue the past and under-appreciate the much more improved sport (and players) that we have the privilege of watching today. 

Edited by guntrix
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, apollo said:

It's by far the most overrated goal in the sport. He only went flying after the puck had gone in... the level of skill required to score that goal is nothing in comparison to the goal the Sedins combined for in 2010 vs the Flames on April 10th when Henrik CEMENTED his scoring championship after going between the legs, on a blind pass to Daniel for a magical finish vs Mikka Kiprusoff. 

we all agree its not the best goal scored. it just an iconic goal  its a goal from 50 years ago ,  of course there is going to be more spectacular  goals scored since then ,  just like bure skate to stick goal in the preseason against boston  , great goal right ? now that's the norm that 75 percent  of the nhl players  can do, so I guess that over rated now 

Edited by the grinder
  • Cheers 1

On 8/8/2019 at 4:03 PM, Goal:thecup said:

This would be an ok thread if it wasn't bait from a possible troll or an attention-seeker.

That said, I think us old-timers remember Orr from his time in the NHL, we are not gaining our opinions from old footage.

Orr at the time was head and shoulders above anyone in hockey, made the NHL right away, and was instantly the best defenseman and possibly the best player in the world.

Every time he touched the puck, great things happened.

If Boston needed a goal at any time, Orr could do it all, all by himself.

He would get the puck say, at centre ice, and circle back behind his own goal, shedding desperate checkers like drunken stumblers, beat everybody, including the goalie, and the Bruins would get the goal they needed.

It was somewhat similar with Gretzky.

He was so much better than everybody else, especially in creativity, passing, and scoring, thinking the game well ahead of everyone else.

Both Orr and Gretzky absolutely shattered scoring records and took home tons of hardware.

If either of these players were 18 again now, they would both be very good NHL players.

But the rest of the world has closed the gap considerably and they would not be so much greater than their peers (as they were back then).

So I think this is where the 'kids' on CDC lose some perspective of just how much better these two were than everyone else around them.

And a picture like this classic Flying Orr one doesn't look that great seen through young eyes because so many good young players are doing things even better now.

It was somewhat like Pettersson's first few games with the Canucks.

He was just stunning.

But the whole world is playing so much better hockey now and equipment (especially sticks) allows more average players to play way better than average players from the past.

And they are already catching up to Pettersson somewhat and he just won the freaking Calder!

Please enlighten me on how this is a troll post. And how would I be seeking attention?

I guess making this thread about a Bobby Orr goal will make me famous on here. Damn if i had of known i would have been making Orr threads a long time ago ::D

6 hours ago, apollo said:

I think that goal was number 12 on the top 50 list i seen. I was disappointed with Orrs being #1 just because its iconic. I dont even think it belongs in the top #100 let alone being #1. Thats just my opinion, and it seems a lot of people agree. The goal was iconic but far from a great goal.

Bieksa's game 5 OT winner should be up there too if clutch goals are rated that highly. Oh and we can't forget the slaying the dragon by my man Burrows :emot-parrot:::D

Greatest “post goal” “moment/circumstance/reaction/photo-op”.

The Tiger Williams stick ride at Maple Leaf Gardens would be eligible for this category. Not necessarily great goals but great reactions/celebrations (although Orr’s goal did win a Stanley Cup). Teemu Selanne’s glove toss trap shot also qualifies among many others.

On 8/8/2019 at 10:47 AM, Kragar said:

The picture is awesome.  I had never seen video of it until recently (last couple years), on a similar top list TV show.

Just looking at the pic, I always thought that he had scored while horizontal.  If that were the case, I would agree about it being the top goal.  Since it isn't, I would rank Ovie's butt goal as higher.. just that game didn't matter anywhere near as much as Orr's.

It gets hyped cuz it was an OT Cup-winning goal, made prettier with the horizontal snapshot.  The goal itself is overrated.  There are plenty of highlight reel goals out there that are far prettier and more dependent on skill that I would rank higher.

And, FWIW, I am an Orr fan.

pretty much word for word what I would say..

the photo is amazing, especially for a live action shot in that era.. the goal was a biggie, clutch cup winner in OT & all..

I can think of a million better goals, but I can't think of a better hockey moment captured in a photo 

• Cheers 1

On 8/9/2019 at 3:35 PM, the grinder said:

the golden goal wasn't a great goal  it was a iconic goal  , there is a difference    the orr goal is iconic because it looks like he is flying   arms straight out 4 feet in the air , no helmet   fearless and joy all at once  , a moment frozen in time a once in lifetime photo at the perfect time ,  in essence it is art photoImage result for bobby orr

Exactly, the goal is famous because of the picture.  

Interestingly, the photographer of the picture was worried that it would not be printed/appreciated because, at the time, pictures of goals were only published if it showed the puck inside the net.  The fact that the puck was lying outside the crease was thought to be a problem.

Luckily, common sense prevailed and the photograph became iconic.

Orrs Goal is art. Plus it’s a Stanley Cup winner. No other goal is even close.

the 72 summit series Henderson goal was a big goal BUT Team Canada, What a bunch of idiot out of shape monkey goons on that Canadian team. Bobby Clarke broke Russia’s best players leg to win.  Anyone too young should watch the series. At the time and era it was a big goal but looking back now at the series its a Canadian disgrace IMO. With Zero too be proud of.

now the biggest underestimate goal. 1996 Oiler playoff game winning goal. It’s huge because Oilers where in their prime and it eliminated them.

Edited by HockeyHarry