The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our coach: Mr. Travis Green (discussion)

Rate this topic

Jester13

I'm hopeful with Green. I'm curious to see how he adapts and balances from the mindset of developing youth to chasing playoffs with players that can win. He's dealing with another level of expectation now. 

He can't sit back on the approach of "as long as the effort is there night in and night out", that's only one part of the equation now.

I really want to see his decision-making win games for us and be the difference when our backs are against the wall.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

From the Province

“In today’s game with the coach and the player, it’s almost a partnership,” Vancouver Canucks coach Travis Green said Monday. “There’s a respect factor that you give players and it goes the other way. When you have good character guys, they’ll do it naturally.

“But I also believe in talking about it. And buy-in is one of the words we’re using this year. We need it. And it comes in different ways and it’s not just doing it when it’s easy. Sometimes, it’s sacrificing personal needs and goals. It’s a commitment. You don’t win in this league unless you have the buy-in.”

Coach Green's recent comments say a lot about the type of team he wants, as well as the type of team Benning has been building for a while. 

Our team is full of character, which is why we have many captain material guys, and which is something that Benning has had as part of his plan since the beginning. 

I can't wait to see practice in action for my first time this Saturday in Vic :towel:

Totally agree with you in relation to Benning drafting and trading for character players.  It hasn't always worked out due to a variety of reasons but it has been a constant for this management group.... And I think it's finally starting to pay off.  

I'm going on Saturday too!!! Gonna be rad! :emot-parrot:

• Cheers 1

On 8/10/2019 at 11:11 AM, smokes said:

1) Here is my issue with Jake. He is a former 6th overall draft pick with a then potential of a top six forward who can drive to the net and make something happen in the offensive zone. The Canucks messed up by keeping him on the roster instead of sending him to the Hitmen and let him destroy the league for a year. That was on WD. They then send him over to Utica to work with Green for a while. He comes back into the roster playing with the bottom six, very rarely even tried on the top six even when the injuries mounted. TD to me has turned Jake from a potential offensive force to a checker. I think we have lowered out expectations of Virtanen. To me Virtanen showed more flashes of his offensive potential with WD than he ever did with TD.

2) There are a lot of excellent 1 dimensional players out there in the NHL, most coaches balances that out with the strength of other line mates. Boeser is also pretty one dimensional. He'll try a little but he floats at times. He's forgiven because he is a great goal scorer. Goldobin was the third leading scorer on the Canucks for a long time so he was effective at putting points on the board. He has some defensive deficiencies so TD decides to call him out in the media? A rookie? Like you can't tell the media "Oh it's a team game and he wasn't the only cause" then talk to him privately in the locker room? Knowing what kind of fish tank market Vancouver is, he could have at least protected his rookie by backing him up to the media then try to improve him behind closed doors. Look around the NHL and try to see how many coaches would do that to their rookies? Usually if the coaches talk about a player, it is a veteran or a superstar that can withstand the scrutiny because they have been in the league a few years.

3) The Canucks could have walked away from the arbitration decision if they wanted to, instead he was not even qualified. While he was relied on more last year, he was still not what TD tried to get him to be. A once promising defenceman who we can't even get a draft pick for because he plays an invisible game on the ice. That's on the coach for not getting the most out of his players.

4) What worries me about the LE comment is not really about LE on the ice for me but the fact that TG is ineffective in creating a buying in atmosphere. 

5) The only reason there was a buyin effort was because the other guys saw what Petey was doing. What happened to the buy in effort when Petey was on injury?

1  jakes biggest problem  is his hockey sense and was his conditioning  , which jake has worked hard on because of travis green,   yep green is teaching him some defense and positioning , hence jake creating turnovers to create offense

2 goldy biggest fault   coughing up the puck at the blue line  and hanging on way too long to the puck and losing it ,  and not back checking ,  again green is teaching him defense 

3   hutton has he signed yet? been offered a pto anywhere?no

4 l e   everyone else bought in except for loui  ,  blah blah  he is good defensively    1 hit for every 27 games  come on he is  not engaged in the game  and don't give me that hitting isn't his game bs either ,, petey had 51 hits  and that definitely not petey,s game 

5 ,  its called injuries to other players   we didn't have the depth to cover the injuries ,   well It.g . did give extra ice time to your hero LE  he sure helped eh 

• Cheers 3

On 8/9/2019 at 7:14 PM, lmm said:

King you are totally contradicting yourself here.

Loui floated for 2 years under Green and he benched him for 1 game!!

"Never mind the times Green publicly defended a truly awful hockey player"

what is the message there?

In the words of our old friend Willie, "This isn't a try league"

so is Green 'trying' to instill good habits, or is he instilling good habits?

is he 'trying' to instill a winning system, or is he instilling one?

We haven’t had a very good team - last year we were supposed to be DFL or right next to OTT by most “experts” opinion at the start.   Post Sedin one and with no Vanek either where were those 150 points supposed to come from was a common mantra entering the year etc. Of course EP helped - but only the first few months, after that Boeser and Horvat had a better PPG effort - Markstroms play helped too, even Demko but four wins out of seven is maybe one or two more then Nilsson would have won if he was playing his norm (hot and cold). 

In the end we did better then expected and without the injuries and the ensuing losing streak - say we’d played .500 instead - we’d be right around where COL was last year and they have one of the best lines in hockey plus are three or four years ahead of us in their cycle.   

Green is still getting accolades now for taking the sum of the parts and getting more out of them.   We had three - yes three forwards  get more then 35 points ...then Roussel and Edler and the rest less then thirty.   CAL you have to go way down the list past the third line before you find a guy with less then 30.  Plus they had five with 74 - 99....what were our top three again?  66,61,58 or something?   

Comparing our team to others even in our own division sometimes I have to wonder why I keep saying we should make the playoffs this year given how little we scored last year and how terrible our defense was on paper.   Part of my optimism is because TG gets them to work hard and for the most part we were hard to play against.  Aside from only a few blow outs most of our games were actually pretty close - we lost a lot of one goal games and we beat a lot of very good teams.     Without TG as our coach and say a guy like Yeo or an old recycled guy past his prime I wouldn’t be saying this at all and would say we still are a year or two away.

JB bet his job on this (if we don’t make the playoffs the next two years in a row he will be fired almost certainly) - but he also recognized that injuries were killing us as was quality depth.   Horvat won’t have to take the load this year - Miller will slot in when Sutters Pilates fails him, and both Edler and Tanev could each play more games then they have in five years because help has arrived - they won’t have to play as much or take on the best of the best each home game.  

Plus our worst two forwards are either getting traded or put on waivers out of camp...and we have a few wild cards in Bear (who’s proven to be a solid second liner) and Goldobin.   Not to mention OJ, Lind, Madden, AG etc working their way up the ranks still.  And the most exciting part what impact Hughes, EP and Boeser will have this upcoming season.  A big one I’m pretty sure.   And TG has definitely earned a chance to coach a better team - the same way JB has earned a few more years to see what he can do with a better lineup.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/10/2019 at 2:11 PM, smokes said:

1) Here is my issue with Jake. He is a former 6th overall draft pick with a then potential of a top six forward who can drive to the net and make something happen in the offensive zone. The Canucks messed up by keeping him on the roster instead of sending him to the Hitmen and let him destroy the league for a year. That was on WD. They then send him over to Utica to work with Green for a while. He comes back into the roster playing with the bottom six, very rarely even tried on the top six even when the injuries mounted. TD to me has turned Jake from a potential offensive force to a checker. I think we have lowered out expectations of Virtanen. To me Virtanen showed more flashes of his offensive potential with WD than he ever did with TD.

2) There are a lot of excellent 1 dimensional players out there in the NHL, most coaches balances that out with the strength of other line mates. Boeser is also pretty one dimensional. He'll try a little but he floats at times. He's forgiven because he is a great goal scorer. Goldobin was the third leading scorer on the Canucks for a long time so he was effective at putting points on the board. He has some defensive deficiencies so TD decides to call him out in the media? A rookie? Like you can't tell the media "Oh it's a team game and he wasn't the only cause" then talk to him privately in the locker room? Knowing what kind of fish tank market Vancouver is, he could have at least protected his rookie by backing him up to the media then try to improve him behind closed doors. Look around the NHL and try to see how many coaches would do that to their rookies? Usually if the coaches talk about a player, it is a veteran or a superstar that can withstand the scrutiny because they have been in the league a few years.

3) The Canucks could have walked away from the arbitration decision if they wanted to, instead he was not even qualified. While he was relied on more last year, he was still not what TD tried to get him to be. A once promising defenceman who we can't even get a draft pick for because he plays an invisible game on the ice. That's on the coach for not getting the most out of his players.

4) What worries me about the LE comment is not really about LE on the ice for me but the fact that TG is ineffective in creating a buying in atmosphere. 

5) The only reason there was a buyin effort was because the other guys saw what Petey was doing. What happened to the buy in effort when Petey was on injury?

1.) JV is still young and could break out. That said if he was that good he’d already be in the top six - when you see what other players have done sometimes with little or no support on bad teams too make a difference year one or two as a first rounder .... it’s mostly on JV.

2).  Goldobin was given more chances then anyone last year - including fan fave LE (ha ha) and JV.   Worried about hurting his feelings is silly - if he needs tough love well too bad - Watched hockey long enough to have seen this done more times then I can remember, heck Torts used to do this on a regular basis - and way too much - but it has its value and if TG (who’s TD anyways) felt that part of his toolbox was needed then I trust his judgment.   

3).  Hutton was way out of his element last year and got ventilated.   Benn is a much better defenseman - way better actually in his own zone.   He was also one of the worst defenseman league wide (almost dead last) in one of the advanced stats - Hutton - can’t remember which one but the information is available.... and he’s jobless - smart decision - it’s not on TG but JB for not having better depth to insulate him, but it’s also on Hutton... it’s not like he didn’t get his chances because he did 

4) What worries me about LE is he could come into training camp and win a job...and then re-surge and make it impossible to send down...ok that would be a good thing too

5). That’s a huge stretch.   Yes he had in impact - but what happened to him the last six weeks plus?  Or is that on TD as well..

6).  Sorry if this is picking on you, like most of what you have to say - I just don’t agree with most of this.    Today’s coaches have to be counselors too, hold players hands and be much better communicators.   Discipline has gone to the way-side but is still a crucial component to the job, it requires a lighter touch as well heck you wouldn’t want to hurt anyone’s feeling right?   Much has been said about it - Hitchcock had to completely change his style (he was well known for his hard style) same with Torts to stay in the league.   The best coach of all-time didn’t put up with anything either - today Bowman might not do as well although he was also a great tactical coach - this is the only area that I feel TG really needs to work on but that comes with experience too.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I’m not a fan, he’s just another soft coach and that is reflected in the players. Doesn’t matter what we do in the regular season, we will not be a playoff team when/if we make them.

Any unrefutable examples to back up your belief? 

Last season, especially down the stretch when we were whittled with injuries, Green didn't have much to work with but the guys played hard and were competitive every single game. This off-season JB has revamped the roster completely, and the kids will be a year stronger, so Green has a LOT to work with.

Certainly a lot of pressure on Green and the players now. The players are known successful players coming in, the kids are expected to be better and a lot of this season falls on our head coach and whether he can get the best out of his players. AV was brilliant at doing this, Torts and Willie did the opposite, now it'll be interesting to see how Green goes. I've got faith in him, but he'll be on a short leash if we're tanking for the first half of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Green day of on Boeser hit. It was a hockey play. 

Green next day ir was a dirty hit. It was a hit I didn't like.  

Travis you bungled that.  Heres what you need to say. 

" The dept of player safety needs to look at this. Its not up to me. But they need to look at it. 

If he says that he publically puts the onus on the league.  Experience counts. Learn from this Travis and do better next time.  

• Upvote 2

Better than WD.....but only barely

hope this our last season with him, he is not capable of taking a talented roster to the next level 

very poor in game decisions, very rarely does he make strategic adjustments. Never matches lines or shortens the bench 

I also can’t stand his lack of response to guys taking advantage of our smaller talented guys 

Coach Ghandi has got to go, wish we had scooped up a real coach like Quenville 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

14 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Green day of on Boeser hit. It was a hockey play. 

Green next day ir was a dirty hit. It was a hit I didn't like.  

Travis you bungled that.  Heres what you need to say. 

" The dept of player safety needs to look at this. Its not up to me. But they need to look at it. 

If he says that he publically puts the onus on the league.  Experience counts. Learn from this Travis and do better next time.  

It's true that he mis-read that play in real time - and later when he had a chance to look at the replay corrected himself.

However, it's not on Green to put an onus on the DOPes in Toronto to do their job - they should have been looking at and acting on that hit regardless.  It's not a game of politics / influence - at least it should not be  - it's a professional responsibility to enforce player safety - which they once again bungled themselves.  Even if it is perceived that Green 'let them off the hook' that does not excuse the DOPes imo.

So yes, he missed an opportunity to 'apply pressure' to the DOPes to do their job, but regardless, that execution of their responsibilty should not hinge or depend on pressure from Green (or anyone else).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Better than WD.....but only barely

hope this our last season with him, he is not capable of taking a talented roster to the next level 

very poor in game decisions, very rarely does he make strategic adjustments. Never matches lines or shortens the bench 

I also can’t stand his lack of response to guys taking advantage of our smaller talented guys 

Coach Ghandi has got to go, wish we had scooped up a real coach like Quenville 

Don't know what games you're watching, but it's not Canuck games. 

As for the lack of response that falls on the players on the ice. The coach can't physically make a player go after someone, that is up to the players on the ice to respond. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Don't know what games you're watching, but it's not Canuck games. 

As for the lack of response that falls on the players on the ice. The coach can't physically make a player go after someone, that is up to the players on the ice to respond. 

C’mon man, you seriously don’t think a team responds to what the coach wants in a team? 

If a coach calls for a player on the ice out of line sequence, it’s not “officially” sending him out to respond but we all know it is