The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our coach: Mr. Travis Green (discussion)

Rate this topic

Jester13

On 9/29/2019 at 3:41 AM, RU SERIOUS said:

Especially that hilarious "back pass play" they always use on the PP.  Every team knows it's coming and that Edler will somehow F it up.   It's so sad that its funny.  I laugh every time I see that!!!  TG is a bantam coach!

I don’t like Green either but almost every team in the NHL uses the breakout drop pass 

watch a few non Canuck games 

20 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

I don’t like Green either but almost every team in the NHL uses the breakout drop pass 

watch a few non Canuck games 

I find it really hard to understand why a Canucks fan wouldn't like Green? Especially coming off of Willie D! Travis Green knows his players and how to get the most out of them. People complain about Goldobin and JV not getting a fair shake and guys like Sutter and Loui getting a free pass, but I'm going to side with the coach on this one.

Jake clearly hasn't bought in yet. Either that or Travis' dog house has AC and satellite TV, cuz he sure seems to like having Travis' foot up his a$$. 

Goldobin seems more concerned about his IG game than his hockey game. When he said he tried different training techniques this summer "like running on the beach", I was like WTF lol, really? How many times did you stop and talk to the girls Nikolay? Did you get a good tan? Sounds like him and Jake could have been work out buddies this summer. 

Baertschi, I can understand peoples frustrations. But this isn't the final chapter for him as a Canuck. He'll go down to Utica, play big minutes, get his head back in the game and then he'll be back up. 

Personally, I have 100% faith in Travis as our coach. It remains to be seen if he's the guy to take us to the cup, but for a young, up and coming team, I wouldn't give anyone else the job. 

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Coach Ghandi is always defending guys that take liberties on his own players

he never ever works the refs like the real coaches do 

Travis Green......he was never ready 

Yeah that will get the team to the promised land once he starts doing that...

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

I find it really hard to understand why a Canucks fan wouldn't like Green? Especially coming off of Willie D! Travis Green knows his players and how to get the most out of them. People complain about Goldobin and JV not getting a fair shake and guys like Sutter and Loui getting a free pass, but I'm going to side with the coach on this one.

Jake clearly hasn't bought in yet. Either that or Travis' dog house has AC and satellite TV, cuz he sure seems to like having Travis' foot up his a$$. 

Goldobin seems more concerned about his IG game than his hockey game. When he said he tried different training techniques this summer "like running on the beach", I was like WTF lol, really? How many times did you stop and talk to the girls Nikolay? Did you get a good tan? Sounds like him and Jake could have been work out buddies this summer. 

Baertschi, I can understand peoples frustrations. But this isn't the final chapter for him as a Canuck. He'll go down to Utica, play big minutes, get his head back in the game and then he'll be back up. 

Personally, I have 100% faith in Travis as our coach. It remains to be seen if he's the guy to take us to the cup, but for a young, up and coming team, I wouldn't give anyone else the job. 

Fair comments

no doubt he is better than WD but honestly You and  I would be better than WD

the thing that is frustrating me with Green is the lack of in game management. He rolls lines even with the last change. He does not hold Jake as accountable he holds Goldy

for some odd reason he sees value in bums like Schaller 

• Wat 1

26 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Fair comments

no doubt he is better than WD but honestly You and  I would be better than WD

the thing that is frustrating me with Green is the lack of in game management. He rolls lines even with the last change. He does not hold Jake as accountable he holds Goldy

for some odd reason he sees value in bums like Schaller 

You're probably right. But Jake has:

A more rounded game

The ability to drive play

Size and physicality

More speed

More of a knack for goal scoring

More value around the league

Also, just a guess on my part but I think maybe Jake reminds Travis of himself as a young player trying to make the jump to the NHL. Travis was an elite scorer all the way through Junior. When he got to the NHL (and to a lesser extent the AHL) he had to change his game, learn how to play 200 feet and play with an edge. He had to learn how to have an impact on the game when he wasn't scoring and that's where Jake is at right now. So I think Travis is confident he can turn Jake into a real player for us. I'm not sure Goldobin has the ability to be that player.

Also, about Schaller. He's strictly on the team to play a 4th line shutdown/energy role. Neither Goldobin or Baertschi can play the role (unfortunately). 

Edited by VIC_CITY
  • Cheers 2

Green is a $&!# coach, is getting more evident. TERRIBLE decisions in line combinations, how is Hughes not PP1? but we keep edler back there who can't hold the puck in to save his god damn life.

I know it's 2 games in, not hitting the panic button, but christ sake, let's utilize match-ups and how the &^@# do we have 3 too many men penalties in 2 games? 

After watching our team perform the first  games.... The line juggling again.... the 2 many men calls... the weird pp lines..... I will fallow a age old saying in regards to Mr. GREEN'S current performance. " If you dont have something nice to say dont say anything " 

So you can quote me  "....................."

Mr Green you deserve that.

Now get your head in the game

Edited by Snapshot85

Just because WD was horrible doesent mean we have to think the new coach is real gud. He’s used injuries as an excuse every season as has Benning, please tell me while in a rebuild how on earth even if healthy that team was going to make the Playoffs. I get we had like a .500 record when healthy but that’s at he beginning of the year when teams don’t play their best. So if someone rips green it doesent mean they just hate every coach type just coukd just mean their both not good coaches. 

Since the day he came here you can even check my posts I never wanted this guy.

look at Phil housley in buffalo a first time coach he was amongst the worst I’ve ever seen.

two games without housley and the sabres have outscored the pens and devils 10-3. Such a small

sample size but I didn’t want a rookie coach and just cause he was a decent player (a leaf ugh) maybe that’s why I didn’t like him, but how calm he is with this team after they lose really rattles me.

LOL at green getting the most out of players because Viirtanen was bound to break out a little. He still hasn’t even come close breaking out, if anyone thinks he’s a good draft pick their nuts.

Also

He is a drama queen to the refs. Maybe if he talked to the player she like he did the refs he would get more out of them. A call goes against us and even Garrett (biggest homer ever) will admit is a good call camera zooms in on green with fierce eyes red cheeks shaking his head slowly side to side then an 80th f bomb. 

Im alright if it’s a bad call once in a while but he does this almost every time

we get a penalty. It’s super annoying and not going to make him any friends in the locker room (of the officials) and save the “they hate us anyways” go to any team board and every fambase says this 

Edited by Bertuzzi44ever
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Vancouver Connection said:

Green is a $&!# coach, is getting more evident. TERRIBLE decisions in line combinations, how is Hughes not PP1? but we keep edler back there who can't hold the puck in to save his god damn life.

I know it's 2 games in, not hitting the panic button, but christ sake, let's utilize match-ups and how the &^@# do we have 3 too many men penalties in 2 games? 

Even Dahlin, you know the “next Lidstrom” on a terrible Buffalo team didn’t get first unit PP time right away.   Coaches need to see what the player can do, and it’s obvious TG likes what he sees as look at the minutes he’s already getting.   Risto was eventually sharing his spot with Dahlin by mid-season last year...

The other Hughes was played 15 mins his first game - same thing the coaches want to see what he has to offer and make sure he won’t get exposed before throwing into the fire.  Kakko too.  

Hughes is getting his ice time - but not 24-25 that Myers and Edler are getting,  those guys are doing the heavy lifting.   

Personally I’d like to see him replace Leivo, and move things around a bit so he doesn’t have to do as much wall-work (PP) too...but understand first we need to wait.   Nothing wrong with starting him on the second unit either and moving him up later.  

• Upvote 2

On 10/4/2019 at 8:21 PM, canuck2288 said:

Coach Ghandi is always defending guys that take liberties on his own players

he never ever works the refs like the real coaches do 

Travis Green......he was never ready 

And he’s happy with an 0 for 9 power play, nice hair though.

23 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I do not understand why some think that because we have a young team that that automatically translates to needing an inexperienced coach.

People finally stopped talking about "Vetern Leadership" now that the Sedins are gone and the pendulum swings the other way and we now need inexperienced coaching to go with our young team. It seens counter intuitive. 

Look at Florida, Vega, Philly and even Edmonton, those teams have experienced , but not re-tread coaches and except for Vega, have better reasons than us to need a few games to "gel" and "get systems down"

For the record I think Green will be a better coach when he is on team #3, just like Galllant, AV and Quennville.

I think Tippett could have made Gudbranson and Hutton look like NHL D-men.

Post game interview with Green:

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/postgame--green-at-flames/c-69405203

"We played a solid 1st and 3rd", "It was a good effort".

No mention of going 0 for 7 on the PP. No mention of barely being able to make a pass or win a puck battle. This is why Green has got to go. He thinks the team is playing good hockey. If there is no push for improvement you're going to get another 80 games of this garbage all the while listening to Green say how he is pleased with the performance. They're playing exactly how Green wants them to play! Guess what? It isn't working! 

33 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Post game interview with Green:

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/postgame--green-at-flames/c-69405203

"We played a solid 1st and 3rd", "It was a good effort".

No mention of going 0 for 7 on the PP. No mention of barely being able to make a pass or win a puck battle. This is why Green has got to go. He thinks the team is playing good hockey. If there is no push for improvement you're going to get another 80 games of this garbage all the while listening to Green say how he is pleased with the performance. They're playing exactly how Green wants them to play! Guess what? It isn't working! 

He doesn't have a strategy. His strategy was that if everyone shows up in peak physical shape they'll win. Both Calgary and Edmonton looked like they were in sync, canucks continuously look lost and confused on the ice. There's very few set plays, and very little change from last year. Time to get Petey and Brock going.