Sign in to follow this  
grandmaster

Foligno not happy with stars leaving CBJ

Rate this topic

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1809731

Nick Foligno is disappointed so many of his now-former teammates chose to sign elsewhere this offseason.

The Columbus Blue Jackets captain expressed regret after the club's high-profile free agents - particularly Artemi Panarin and Sergei Bobrovsky - both opted to leave the organization this summer. 

"We did everything we possibly could to show them we're a legit team," Foligno told The Canadian Press. "In a way it was a surprise (they left), but it was their right. My thing is, you don't leave a good team to try to find another one. What we're building in Columbus, everyone is excited to be part of it. You want guys fully on board."

Panarin and Bobrovsky both signed elsewhere as unrestricted free agents on July 1. 

The dynamic winger inked a reported seven-year, $81.5-million contract with the New York Rangers, while the veteran goaltender joined the Florida Panthers on a seven-year pact reportedly worth $70 million. Trade acquisition Matt Duchenealso left Columbus, agreeing to a seven-year, $56-million deal with the Nashville Predators.

Foligno credited the trio's efforts with the Blue Jackets but still lamented their respective departures.

"Had they dogged it or caused problems or not given it their best, then you have issues," he said. "But between Bob and (Panarin) and Matt, they all worked extremely hard. It's their choice to go. You don't agree with it, but you want guys that want to play in Columbus."

Foligno has spent the last seven of his 12 NHL seasons with the Blue Jackets, who made the playoffs this past spring after adding pending UFAs Duchene and Ryan Dzingel before the trade deadline while keeping Panarin and Bobrovsky. Dzingel ultimately departed as well, signing a two-year, $6.75-million deal with the Carolina Hurricanes on July 12.

Columbus pulled off a stunning first-round sweep of the heavily favored Tampa Bay Lightning before the Boston Bruins eliminated them in six games.

I think that the CBJ’s GM screwed up here. He was banking on one playoff run. He had a good team but definitely wasn’t a Stanley Cup favourite. He ought to have known by the trade deadline whether he was not going to be able to sign these guys. His better option would have been selling them off and getting assets for the future. Just imagine all the 1st rounders and high end prospects CBJ could have gotten?

Panarin - two first rounders ++

Duchene - one first rounder +

Bobrovsky - two first rounders +

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I think that the CBJ’s GM screwed up here. He was banking on one playoff run. He had a good team but definitely wasn’t a Stanley Cup favourite. He ought to have known by the trade deadline whether he was not going to be able to sign these guys. His better option would have been selling them off and getting assets for the future. Just imagine all the 1st rounders and high end prospects CBJ could have gotten?

Do these guys get those returns though, considering they would only be rentals?  The teams rumoured Panarin and goalie Bob we’re going to sign as UFAs with aren’t giving up those assets at the TDL, and no other teams are giving up those assets for rentals.  

34 minutes ago, brownky said:

Indeed.

And once again, 'first round picks' don't play hockey. The players you pick 'might' play for your team, but if you've got late firsts (most likely from someone buying those rentals) the odds of getting a truly impact player down there are not great.

The value to the franchise to make a good playoff run is far greater than a horde of (likely) middle six players. I suspect that same reasoning was used.

for sure. They'd be exactly in this spot right now too with the UFAs leaving and the roster taking a hit. Yes those 1st's might be a good rookie player in 2-4 years but they have more immediate problems anyway.

I wonder if they'll pick up one or two of the still-decent older UFAs out there for one more year? like Williams. They can do that and still flip some players at this years TDL to recover picks if they don't go on a miracle playoff run. And they still have their 2020 1st anyway which is probably going to be a lotto pick  since Duchene didn't re-sign with CBJ so its not all that bad from a pick pov.

Edited by Jimmy McGill

34 minutes ago, brownky said:

Indeed.

And once again, 'first round picks' don't play hockey. The players you pick 'might' play for your team, but if you've got late firsts (most likely from someone buying those rentals) the odds of getting a truly impact player down there are not great.

The value to the franchise to make a good playoff run is far greater than a horde of (likely) middle six players. I suspect that same reasoning was used.

This is a good thing to remember. They did have a good opportunity to go far, more than they may have had at any point in their franchise to date. It is better to go for it when the opportunity is there than to not only to improve your chances of being above average later on. Because lets say they trade their good players for picks, those picks become good players - perhaps they find themselves again in the same situation.

The Raptors and Blues are good examples of solid teams that were not favourites who made very large, risky moves to give themselves the best chance of winning. Even after the trades were made they were not favourites but they gave themselves the best chance possible and won. Neither team is an attractive destination for talent, so their window is much smaller. Columbus also fits in this category. 

In the case of the Canucks Gillis had committed to a rebuild. We made it to game 7 of the cup finals. Had a good team the next year but bombed in the playoffs. Tried again the next year and same result. At this stage I think we identified that the core was aging and the window was closed. Purchasing the Utica Comets and trading Corey Schneider to draft Bo Horvat was when the rebuild was supposed to start.

That said, who knows what would have happened.

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Upvote 2

Other locations are significantly more attractive than Columbus Ohio. Even Bob said he never liked the idea of staying in the city. Foligno really shouldn't be that surprised they left. I get why he's upset though.

45 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

on paper they were better than St Louis tho, so i can see why they went for it. The owner was all-in to give the fans a run, thats pretty good behaviour when you look at what other NHL owners are like. 

Just curious. Do you think it was the right move to keep Jovo in his final year when he went to free agency? 

Is it the city? I know if I had the chance to make millions playing in Columbus or millions playing in New York City, Nashville, etc., I'd be moving from Columbus. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

for sure. They'd be exactly in this spot right now too with the UFAs leaving and the roster taking a hit. Yes those 1st's might be a good rookie player in 2-4 years but they have more immediate problems anyway.

I wonder if they'll pick up one or two of the still-decent older UFAs out there for one more year? like Williams. They can do that and still flip some players at this years TDL to recover picks if they don't go on a miracle playoff run. And they still have their 2020 1st anyway which is probably going to be a lotto pick  since Duchene didn't re-sign with CBJ so its not all that bad from a pick pov.

Honestly I feel like of they get decent goaltending from Korpisalo or Merzlikins comes as advertised, I actually think they could be an under the radar team.

A lot of their players have underperformed from previous seasons and could very well bounce back with more opportunity to do so (eg Wennberg and Bjorkstrand). They made a nice top 6 add in Nyqvist and Anderson is finding his footing as a power forward at the NHL level while Atkinson is a skilled player. Someone like Texier could surprise some people (I have him as a dark horse candidate for the Calder). Let's not forget about Dubois too.

Now you add in a Norris potential dman in Jones, plus a Werenski and they have a respectable team.

I think their GM took a risk, but also wanted to show the team and fans that they are committed to actually wanting to make the playoffs and succeed. I think he was hoping that by doing this, it would at least get Panarin to stay. That didn't work, but at least it sends a message to their young guys that they're serious about wanting playoff hockey and not trying to waste away their careers. Having a guy like Foligno buy into that as captain and defend his team is commendable.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Is it the city? I know if I had the chance to make millions playing in Columbus or millions playing in New York City, Nashville, etc., I'd be moving from Columbus. 

If you don't grow roots in a city like Columbus, it doesn't likely offer the lifestyle of those other cities. It doesn't surprise me that players would leave for that reason, but Columbus looks to be building a decent team, so I think players should consider that. I guess you just need a certain personality that would get you settled there.

I get why he and the other Columbus players are choked but that's the business. Panarin and officer Bob in particular went to more luxurious and exciting places in NY and Florida, they were always going to be paid and it was widely speculated they weren't going to stay. They probably had a chance at keeping Duchene but I'd take Nashville over Columbus too, especially with Panarin and Bob leaving. Duchene steps into a team that's still a legit playoff contender and walks away from what currently looks like a sinking ship in Columbus. 

Dzingel isn't a star but shouldn't matter too much, he may bounce back in Carolina but didn't set the world on fire with the Jackets. 

Columbus still has some pieces but they've set themselves back a few years and now need to find another direction, they certainly won't be contending this season. Props to Foligno for no throwing the other guys under the bus too, he handled it well. 

3 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I’m sure the fans who have been around since the beginning would rather beat a 62 win team for their first series win ever than hope those assets become regulars in a couple years. 

• Hydration 1

5 hours ago, grandmaster said:

They bought Duchene for the playoffs. So he would've never had been "sold". They wanted to keep Panarin and wanted to show him they were a serious team worth staying for (but the limelights took him away). They probably had no intention on keeping Bob, but he had a trade clause which likely restricted them from doing much and they wanted to keep Panarin happy in the meantime. Non-playoff teams wouldn't be giving up those picks, so you're looking at lower 1st rounders and as a rental, the "+" probably wouldn't have been much without a sign and trade or having a deal in place. Looks like all three of those guys did well hitting UFA which was their plan all along.

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I get why he and the other Columbus players are choked but that's the business. Panarin and officer Bob in particular went to more luxurious and exciting places in NY and Florida, they were always going to be paid and it was widely speculated they weren't going to stay. They probably had a chance at keeping Duchene but I'd take Nashville over Columbus too, especially with Panarin and Bob leaving. Duchene steps into a team that's still a legit playoff contender and walks away from what currently looks like a sinking ship in Columbus. 

Dzingel isn't a star but shouldn't matter too much, he may bounce back in Carolina but didn't set the world on fire with the Jackets. 

Columbus still has some pieces but they've set themselves back a few years and now need to find another direction, they certainly won't be contending this season. Props to Foligno for no throwing the other guys under the bus too, he handled it well. 

Agree with most of this, but how does this set them back a couple of years? They've been grooming Korpisalo to take over and they are high on Merzlikins too. Duchene seemed to always be a rental to make a push this past season, so the lost in picks is really just a result of doing so and many playoff teams make these kind of moves and doesn't set them back any further. They still have all of their 1sts beyond this past draft.

Losing Panarin does hurt, but the contract he got could be quite crippling cap-wise, so maybe they lucked out not signing him. Will have to see the impact he has for NYR. I think they are going to be an under the radar team and many will think they're "overachieving", but on paper, they have a respectable team. Might not be as potent offensively, but I can see some decent balanced scoring throughout most of the lineup.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Agree with most of this, but how does this set them back a couple of years? They've been grooming Korpisalo to take over and they are high on Merzlikins too. Duchene seemed to always be a rental to make a push this past season, so the lost in picks is really just a result of doing so and many playoff teams make these kind of moves and doesn't set them back any further. They still have all of their 1sts beyond this past draft.

Losing Panarin does hurt, but the contract he got could be quite crippling cap-wise, so maybe they lucked out not signing him. Will have to see the impact he has for NYR. I think they are going to be an under the radar team and many will think they're "overachieving", but on paper, they have a respectable team. Might not be as potent offensively, but I can see some decent balanced scoring throughout most of the lineup.

21 million on goalie Bob and Panarin would definitely hurt the Jackets.  They are not better off right now without those two, but certainly will be in two years. 

21 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Grooming a guy and having a guy are very different things, they just barely snuck into the playoffs and Bob was a big part of that. Questionable goaltending could give them a couple years of no playoffs. 

Not having to pay Panarin could very well be a blessing in disguise, but in the short term it definitely hurts them. Nyquist will help but they'll have to hope for internal production improving.

For a team that just barely beat out Montreal this could cause em to stumble though.