The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Foligno not happy with stars leaving CBJ

Rate this topic

54 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Grooming a guy and having a guy are very different things, they just barely snuck into the playoffs and Bob was a big part of that. Questionable goaltending could give them a couple years of no playoffs. 

Not having to pay Panarin could very well be a blessing in disguise, but in the short term it definitely hurts them. Nyquist will help but they'll have to hope for internal production improving.

For a team that just barely beat out Montreal this could cause em to stumble though.

Bobrovsky had one of his worst seasons as a BJ and I think that had more to do with them barely squeaking in. But I said in another post, it'll depend on their goaltending stepping up for them to be decent next season as they don't look that bad on paper for the rest of the roster.

I expect they will have some internal improvement because Panarin's minutes will be spread back to some players that have performed well in season's past and Texier may be a surprising prospect.

I won't be surprised if most that are writing them off will be shocked by them next season like how many wrote off NYI when they lost Tavares. I think they might just be a better "team" next season.

11 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

on paper they were better than St Louis tho, so i can see why they went for it. The owner was all-in to give the fans a run, thats pretty good behaviour when you look at what other NHL owners are like. 

10 hours ago, brownky said:

Indeed.

And once again, 'first round picks' don't play hockey. The players you pick 'might' play for your team, but if you've got late firsts (most likely from someone buying those rentals) the odds of getting a truly impact player down there are not great.

The value to the franchise to make a good playoff run is far greater than a horde of (likely) middle six players. I suspect that same reasoning was used.

Good playoff run?  They limped their way into the postseason and barely got the last wild card spot.  Nobody actually wanted to match up against TBL.  But the gods smiled upon their gusto and gave them an epic sweep.

And what do they get in return?  A completely gutted team.  Forget hedging your losses and trading away Breadman and Bob.  I can understand wanting to keep them for a playoff push.  But actually going all-in with a team like THAT?

It would've been infinitely smarter for management to stay the course.  They were not contenders.  Instead they completely sold the future and went nuts on the trade deadline.  That is simply not how you manage a team.  I would not be okay with Benning selling every prospect and draft pick just to push for a wild card spot.  Would you?

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Bobrovsky had one of his worst seasons as a BJ and I think that had more to do with them barely squeaking in. But I said in another post, it'll depend on their goaltending stepping up for them to be decent next season as they don't look that bad on paper for the rest of the roster.

Korpisalo has enough minutes in him that fairly reliably state he isn't a good goalie. It's really up to Elvis or Columbus is in real trouble.

1 hour ago, mephnick said:

Korpisalo has enough minutes in him that fairly reliably state he isn't a good goalie. It's really up to Elvis or Columbus is in real trouble.

Tell that to Markstrom, Dubnyk, etc. He's never really been a chance as a starter playing behind Bobrovsky who gets 60 games a season. We will see.

10 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Good playoff run?  They limped their way into the postseason and barely got the last wild card spot.  Nobody actually wanted to match up against TBL.  But the gods smiled upon their gusto and gave them an epic sweep.

And what do they get in return?  A completely gutted team.  Forget hedging your losses and trading away Breadman and Bob.  I can understand wanting to keep them for a playoff push.  But actually going all-in with a team like THAT?

It would've been infinitely smarter for management to stay the course.  They were not contenders.  Instead they completely sold the future and went nuts on the trade deadline.  That is simply not how you manage a team.  I would not be okay with Benning selling every prospect and draft pick just to push for a wild card spot.  Would you?

Door #1: playoff chance

Door #2: no playoff chance 

They picked door #1. You can always argue waiting and building prospects is a good idea, problem is you may never get to the playoffs that way either if you screw up your scouting and development. 

They were going to be "gutted" anyway, they knew Bob's and Panarin were walking so they took their chance. You just don't know what can happen in the playoffs, St. Louis proved that, no one saw that coming. 

On 8/10/2019 at 6:19 PM, grandmaster said:

I think that the CBJ’s GM screwed up here. He was banking on one playoff run. He had a good team but definitely wasn’t a Stanley Cup favourite. He ought to have known by the trade deadline whether he was not going to be able to sign these guys. His better option would have been selling them off and getting assets for the future. Just imagine all the 1st rounders and high end prospects CBJ could have gotten?

Panarin - two first rounders ++

Duchene - one first rounder +

Bobrovsky - two first rounders +

Huh? If CBJ got past Boston they would have made it to the finals. After sweeping the Bolts anything was possible for the Blue Jackets

On 8/10/2019 at 11:09 AM, grandmaster said:

The Columbus Blue Jackets captain expressed regret after the club's high-profile free agents - particularly Artemi Panarin and Sergei Bobrovsky - both opted to leave the organization this summer. 

"We did everything we possibly could to show them we're a legit team," Foligno told The Canadian Press. "In a way it was a surprise (they left), but it was their right. My thing is, you don't leave a good team to try to find another one. What we're building in Columbus, everyone is excited to be part of it. You want guys fully on board."

I get Foligno is disappointed, because both his personal stats and the team is going to take an absolute sh*t kicking next season. However, especially in Panarin’s case, he’s definitely leaving a team that was building something good, to a Rangers team that looks to be really, really good, and very soon:

Panarin

Kravtsov

Trouba

Fox

Kakko

Shestyorkin

All young. All highly regarded and talented. All new to the club, next season. Pair that with it being New York, and I get why Panarin chose not to extend with Columbus.

41 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Maybe the NHL needs to reimburse teams when they let UFA walk?

I mean... if one team signs a high profile UFA, they should be reimbursing picks to the previous team.

Doesn't the NBA do that?

Isn't that the difference between RFA and UFA?  I don't follow NBA much at all, but did the Cavs get anything from the Lakers when they signed LeBron?  I presume he was UFA at the time, and gotta say he is high profile.  I never heard of anything going back.

I did a quick look at NBA rules, and I couldn't even find compensation for losing an RFA.  Would have thought that would be easy to find, so I think I'm not looking in the right place

Edit: Can't imagine players allowing it... they wanna be UFA ASAP.  Forcing compensation effectively changes what UFA means, and limits the ability of teams to compete in the bidding war.

Edited by Kragar

12 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Isn't that the difference between RFA and UFA?  I don't follow NBA much at all, but did the Cavs get anything from the Lakers when they signed LeBron?  I presume he was UFA at the time, and gotta say he is high profile.  I never heard of anything going back.

I did a quick look at NBA rules, and I couldn't even find compensation for losing an RFA.  Would have thought that would be easy to find, so I think I'm not looking in the right place

Edit: Can't imagine players allowing it... they wanna be UFA ASAP.  Forcing compensation effectively changes what UFA means, and limits the ability of teams to compete in the bidding war.

Well... it doesn't have to be high picks.  Maybe just like a 4th rounder or something.  

Like for those offer-sheet compensations, except lower value.  

4 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Well... it doesn't have to be high picks.  Maybe just like a 4th rounder or something.  

Like for those offer-sheet compensations, except lower value.  

I suppose, but then what good would it do?  Ya never know with a 4th or something like that, but it's not like it is any real compensation for what was lost, nor does it keep the original team competitive.

Just a little silver lining... and not a shiny one at that.