Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy McGill

If Loui Eriksson stays what can make you come to terms with it?

Rate this topic

If Loui Eriksson stays what can make you come to terms with it?  

223 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

54 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

All these fake stats for Loui is the Leipsic on the pig

lol i know  i don't know how you can go thru a full season with three hits in 81 games,  i had check that three times to make sure it wasn't fake 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Yeah but he's also not getting younger/better and hasn't remotely produced at a level the last three years that would grant him PP2 time. And that's if he's even in the starting 12, which as I illustrated above, isn't likely. Experience only matters if it's still actually productive.

That's not what I said though. Does Loui suit the role of an expendable, soon to be waived, short term 13th F, sitting in the press box better than Schaller? Not really IMO. And not playing certainly won't help us trade him if that's still a hope. Do we see him sitting in the press box as 13th F and not getting impatient to play/be moved...?

But they're not really separate issues. To play PK/PP (or any minutes for that matter), he needs to actually be one of the 12 best, starting forwards. Best both at his current play level, as well as value to the organization as an asset moving forward. Like you said, even if he's on par with Leivo or Motte, we're unlikely to waive/trade one of those guys to make room for Loui.

If anything, I'd imagine we'd attempt to sneak Goldy through in the preseason (assuming he hasn't beat anyone out) as that's our best chance of him clearing. Ten games in (or any other point) and he's FAR higher risk to be claimed.

Nobody's worried about losing Schaller or Eriksson on Waivers.

He's certainly better than a 13th F when it comes to PK stats, and shots against stats 5 on 5 - see e.g.: (https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/what-can-the-canucks-do-with-loui-eriksson-1.23884404) so by these metrics at least he fits your criteria for top 12:

Eriksson led all Canucks skaters in the rate of unblocked shot attempts (fenwick) against, scoring chances against, and expected goals against while on the penalty kill. He was second in the rate of actual goals against to Brandon Sutter.

League-wide, Eriksson was 16th in the rate of unblocked shot attempts against, 5th in the rate of expected goals against, and 6th in the rate of goals against. If Eriksson isn’t in the lineup, someone else will have to pick up the slack on the penalty kill.

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

He's certainly better than a 13th F when it comes to PK stats, and shots against stats 5 on 5 - see e.g.: (https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/what-can-the-canucks-do-with-loui-eriksson-1.23884404) so by these metrics at least he fits your criteria for top 12:

Eriksson led all Canucks skaters in the rate of unblocked shot attempts (fenwick) against, scoring chances against, and expected goals against while on the penalty kill. He was second in the rate of actual goals against to Brandon Sutter.

League-wide, Eriksson was 16th in the rate of unblocked shot attempts against, 5th in the rate of expected goals against, and 6th in the rate of goals against. If Eriksson isn’t in the lineup, someone else will have to pick up the slack on the penalty kill.

jt miller Horvat  sutter beagle motte leivo gaudette  feland elias , yes you heard it here  elias  could  kill penalties   

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Again, you're clouding something that is really quite simple. Nobody is suggesting he can't be 'a' bottom 6 NHL player/good PK'er on 'a' NHL team (albeit at EXTREMELY poor value for his $6m cap hit, hence why he's hard to trade). 

Which of these below 12 starters (13 when Roussel returns) on the Canucks, do you waive (or trade) to play him in your starting 12?

Miller, Petterson, Boeser, Baer, Horvat, Pearson, Ferland, Sutter, Virtanen, Motte, Beagle, Leivo, *Roussel

Pick one. How/where does he make the Canucks?

And as @the grinder noted, adding a healthy Sutter and Miller to Beagle, Horvat, Motte, perhaps Leivo, Ferland..heck even Virtanen (who's developed an underrated defensive game under Green and whose speed would be a major asset on the PK IMO) etc should be more than enough F bodies for a good PK (not to mention a solid add on the back end with Benn and secondarily Myers).

He's got a MASSIVE uphill battle to make this roster. And that's without the media/negative fan side show accompanying him as we all know it will.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don’t care what these stats say about Loui on the PK.  IMO, watching him play, he’s terrible in all situations, including the PK.  His lack of foot speed means we too often end up killing in our on zone.  He’s weak too, so ends up sagging back into our zone instead forcing in the neutral zone.  Loui plays now like he’s old.  

As much as you rightly criticize Eriksson everyone pencils in Leivo which I think is ridiculous.  He had about 5 points in the last 20 games playing significant minutes usually 18:00+ per game.  J.T Miller and Ferland replace what leivo did at a higher level of performance.  Leivo will be depth or 4th line at best.  Motte is in a similar boat once Roussell is back in the lineup.  All of these are good signs as guys are getting pushed down or off the roster because we are getting better!

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Again, you're clouding something that is really quite simple. Nobody is suggesting he can't be 'a' bottom 6 NHL player/good PK'er on 'a' NHL team (albeit at EXTREMELY poor value for his $6m cap hit, hence why he's hard to trade). 

Which of these below 12 starters (13 when Roussel returns) on the Canucks, do you waive (or trade) to play him in your starting 12?

Miller, Petterson, Boeser, Baer, Horvat, Pearson, Ferland, Sutter, Virtanen, Motte, Beagle, Leivo, *Roussel

And as @the grinder noted, adding a healthy Sutter and Miller to Beagle, Horvat, Motte, perhaps Leivo, Ferland..heck even Virtanen (who's developed an underrated defensive game under Green and whose speed would be a major asset on the PK IMO) etc should be more than enough F bodies for a good PK (not to mention a solid add on the back end with Benn and secondarily Myers).

He's got a MASSIVE uphill battle to make this roster. And that's without the media/negative fan side show accompanying him as we all know it will.

exactly  the moves gmjb made this summer is going to make extremely hard for loui to make the team , even with top 13 you listed , there is gaudette and other young forwards chomping at the bit to make the team.,  unless sutter and baer  still have lingering injuries  issues I just don't see any room for loui

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I don’t care what these stats say about Loui on the PK.  IMO, watching him play, he’s terrible in all situations, including the PK.  His lack of foot speed means we too often end up killing in our on zone.  He’s weak too, so ends up sagging back into our zone instead forcing in the neutral zone.  Loui plays now like he’s old.  

he is old :lol:

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I aint clouding nuttin palooka. (/s) 

I'd like to see Baer traded. If that made room for Loui by default OK fine. I suspect there will be injuries or he can be rotated out as the 13th F once Roussel is back. 

I just don't see a reality where he's traded now, so its more where is he going to fit. 

The LW is starting to heat up.  I like Baer and would like to see him on Bo's LW.  It is going to fun watching it all be worked out at camp.

I know his chemistry and successs with the Sedins in international play had alot to do with his acquisition. Obviously didn't pan out the way management thought though. so........................

I went with the 3rd option of, "A good season maybe, say 40 points." Really, that's what Id like to see.

I don't care if he gets mega points or not. If his contributions towards success and wins for our Canucks has positives, then great. In so much as we'd like to see, "success," translate to visible stats point wise, if he stays on the plus side of things and makes life miserable for the opposition with his defensive play, I'm good with that. However, in order for him to succeed, he must be given "consistent" opportunities to succeed. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I just don't see a reality where he's traded now, so its more where is he going to fit. 

AHL-Ice-web.jpg

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

AHL-Ice-web.jpg

yeah could be.... makes him a certainty not to be traded vs faint hope I suppose.

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah could be.... makes him a certainty not to be traded vs faint hope I suppose.

Might actually be more trade-able after he clears.

He'd also likely see more play time (than the zero he'd see most nights in the press box here) in the AHL (assuming he reports).

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Might actually be more trade-able after

If this is really how it goes I'd like him to be loaned to Dallas' AHL team - makes Jim look like a solid human and who knows, maybe he impresses them enough to earn a trade there.

• Hydration 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

If this is really how it goes I'd like him to be loaned to Dallas' AHL team - makes Jim look like a solid human and who knows, maybe he impresses them enough to earn a trade there.

I'd wager that's a high likelihood of where we're headed. 

Doubt he gets traded to DAL though as they don't really have the cap space to take him on.

• Upvote 1

i have a weird feeling that if FA  eats his 3 mil bonus for next year, they will be able to move him. maybe to philly.  my outsider guess for this year. 

if he stays, he’ll get a chance to succeed. whether as a top 9 or top 13. good luck louie. 

6 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

if he stays, he’ll get a chance to succeed. whether as a top 9 or top 13. 

People keep writing things like this. But where?

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Only way he's playing here, even temporarily, is with at least a couple injuries on top of Roussel.

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

People keep writing things like this. But where?

Only way he's playing here, even temporarily, is with at least a couple injuries on top of Roussel.

we don’t know where or if he’ll play here but, i’m rooting for him. i wish him well, where ever he plays. 

• Hydration 1

2 hours ago, flat land fish said:

As much as you rightly criticize Eriksson everyone pencils in Leivo which I think is ridiculous.  He had about 5 points in the last 20 games playing significant minutes usually 18:00+ per game.  J.T Miller and Ferland replace what leivo did at a higher level of performance.  Leivo will be depth or 4th line at best.  Motte is in a similar boat once Roussell is back in the lineup.  All of these are good signs as guys are getting pushed down or off the roster because we are getting better!

Say what you want about Motte and Leivo, but they are both decent 4th liners without the character issues of Eriksson.  There is no good reason to send them to the minors instead of our 6 million dollar piece of garbage.

• Hydration 1