The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Archaeology news and discussion.

189lb enforcers?

• 4 weeks later...

I wasn't sure where to post this, but this thread looked as good a place as any.

With all the talk of Covid19, "Murder Hornets", racism and shootings, I thought I'd post something that I found pretty cool.

The link below is to an article in the New Yorker about a wealthy guy who's goal was to visit the deepest spots in all 5 oceans. The entire process had to be designed and built from the ground up and cost almost 50 million dollars, when all was said and done.

The article is quite long and also contains a fair amount of coarse language. (Lots of interviews with sailors) For those reasons I'm only posting the link, but if you're interested in the exploration of the unknown and mechanisms behind such expeditions, I highly recommend.

Rupert.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/05/18/thirty-six-thousand-feet-under-the-sea?utm_source=pocket-newtab

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/12/2020 at 12:29 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

I wasn't sure where to post this, but this thread looked as good a place as any.

With all the talk of Covid19, "Murder Hornets", racism and shootings, I thought I'd post something that I found pretty cool.

The link below is to an article in the New Yorker about a wealthy guy who's goal was to visit the deepest spots in all 5 oceans. The entire process had to be designed and built from the ground up and cost almost 50 million dollars, when all was said and done.

The article is quite long and also contains a fair amount of coarse language. (Lots of interviews with sailors) For those reasons I'm only posting the link, but if you're interested in the exploration of the unknown and mechanisms behind such expeditions, I highly recommend.

Rupert.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/05/18/thirty-six-thousand-feet-under-the-sea?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Sounds like the plot to that Atlantis movie with mjf

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd bump this thread up when I saw this.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/archaeologists-unearth-50-more-sarcophagi-saqqara-necropolis-180976794/

Archaeologists Unearth Egyptian Queen’s Tomb, 13-Foot ‘Book of the Dead’ Scroll

The team also discovered dozens of sarcophagi, wooden masks and ancient board games

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Thought I'd bump this thread up when I saw this.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/archaeologists-unearth-50-more-sarcophagi-saqqara-necropolis-180976794/

Archaeologists Unearth Egyptian Queen’s Tomb, 13-Foot ‘Book of the Dead’ Scroll

The team also discovered dozens of sarcophagi, wooden masks and ancient board games

From the article:

"As first reported by Al-Ahram, Egyptologist Zahi Hawass and his colleagues discovered the coffins..."

This Zahi Hawass seems to be the only archaeologist in Egypt!  Every time I watch a documentary about ancient Egypt he pops up with his signature hat.

Anyways, good for him.  Interesting stuff.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

From the article:

"As first reported by Al-Ahram, Egyptologist Zahi Hawass and his colleagues discovered the coffins..."

This Zahi Hawass seems to be the only archaeologist in Egypt!  Every time I watch a documentary about ancient Egypt he pops up with his signature hat.

Anyways, good for him.  Interesting stuff.

I wonder if that’s by design by the Egyptian govt. 

On 4/9/2020 at 9:17 AM, bishopshodan said:

A 50,000-year-old piece of string hints at Neanderthal intelligence, scientists say

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/a-50000-year-old-piece-of-string-hints-at-neanderthal-intelligence-scientists-say/ar-BB12o8QE

Yep, being called a Neanderthal might not be a dis at all.

Maybe should be a compliment? 

I remember reading about this in an elective anthropology course I’m my undergrad... about 8 years ago

From what I remember, and this maybe outdated, but Homo Sapiens and Homo Neandrothalensis over lapped in their

existence together on this planet by many many millennium.

Although the neandrathals were were much larger, stronger and much more fierce. They lost the battle against the Sapiens due to a much thicker cerebral cortex.

Nevertheless, there was some interspecies sexual interactions between the two that led to Neanderthal DNA being found in today’s humans. More specifically, people with red hair are much more likely to test positive for this particular blood line 

All that said, the Neanderthals were warriors. Tough as rock. I would hate to give Heel Spurs that type of recognition.

Rather, he is just a weak stupid embarrassment of the Sapien Class. It happens. Just have to move on. Can’t blame the Neanderthals on this one

Edited by Canorth
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 8/12/2019 at 6:16 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Also, Doggerland  and who knows what off our own coast here in North America. 

You must have enjoyed the earlier link I provided then, totally cool, about Ancient Greece and area. Like you, I love finding these sites. They are everywhere, just not in our classrooms... 

I only wish I were alive when it’s all discovered. How fascinating to know it’s all set to change and we didn’t actually get born to Adam and Eve and their kids and from their Gawds. I mean, the whole story might be true, but way out of context as far as we are taught,

WHAT !

There is no Adam and Eve !

We all must come from Adam and Steve who used IVF technology

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Not really archaeology but a guy was digging in the dirt so....

Kentucky man finds over 700 Civil War-era coins buried in his cornfield

A Kentucky man got the surprise of his life while digging in his field earlier this year: a cache of over 700 coins from the American Civil War era.

According to the Numismatic Guaranty Co. (NGC), which certified the coins' authenticity, and GovMint, where the coins were sold, 95% of the hoard is composed of gold dollars, along with 20 $10 Liberty coins and eight $20 Liberty coins. The rarest is the 1863-P $20 1-ounce gold Liberty coin. Just one of these coins can go for six figures at auction, and the Great Kentucky Hoard boasts 18 of them.

https://www.livescience.com/archaeology/kentucky-man-finds-over-700-civil-war-era-coins-buried-in-his-cornfield?utm_source=join1440&utm_medium=email#xenforo-comments-17473

• Upvote 2