The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Heavy metal music may have a bad reputation, but it has numerous mental health benefits for fans

Love metal, all kinds, but mostly thrash and death. Listen to it every day. My favourite band to listen to right now is Lamb of God. Aggressive, fierce drumming and guitar and of course Randy Blythe's wicked vocals. I appreciate this music so much, it's helped me through some tough times, and has also brought me a lot of joy. I also like that it's not popular. "Regular people", for lack of a better term, listen to whatever's on the radio, and when the song of the month fades, and the DJ replaces it with a new song, they follow along like sheep. I still love The Number of the Beast as much today as I ever have, it's timeless music. And there's is so much great metal out there, I'll never be able to listen to all of it. Greatest kept secret. Metal is forever.   

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Love metal, all kinds, but mostly thrash and death. Listen to it every day. My favourite band to listen to right now is Lamb of God. Aggressive, fierce drumming and guitar and of course Randy Blythe's wicked vocals. I appreciate this music so much, it's helped me through some tough times, and has also brought me a lot of joy. I also like that it's not popular. "Regular people", for lack of a better term, listen to whatever's on the radio, and when the song of the month fades, and the DJ replaces it with a new song, they follow along like sheep. I still love The Number of the Beast as much today as I ever have, it's timeless music. And there's is so much great metal out there, I'll never be able to listen to all of it. Greatest kept secret. Metal is forever.   

If you’re not now, you never were\,,/

My team lead and a colleague of his (a couple of really smart guys) really enjoy metal music. They're not really into the hardcore stuff, although the colleague seems more interested into branching into it. One of my team lead's favourite bands is Insomnium and he likes because of the stories they tell in their music. Apparently all the band members are actually high end professors or doctors or something like that for the day jobs (so even if the gigs aren't where the money is at, they're paid well) and they're all classically trained musicians which can be heard in their music.

They got me listening to it and while I enjoy the instrumentals, the vocals are simply not my thing.

9 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

My team lead and a colleague of his (a couple of really smart guys) really enjoy metal music. They're not really into the hardcore stuff, although the colleague seems more interested into branching into it. One of my team lead's favourite bands is Insomnium and he likes because of the stories they tell in their music. Apparently all the band members are actually high end professors or doctors or something like that for the day jobs (so even if the gigs aren't where the money is at, they're paid well) and they're all classically trained musicians which can be heard in their music.

They got me listening to it and while I enjoy the instrumentals, the vocals are simply not my thing.

Yes the vocals for most people is off putting.  I’ve often heard “I like the music but you can’t even hear what he is saying” or variations of that assessment.

8 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Yes the vocals for most people is off putting.  I’ve often heard “I like the music but you can’t even hear what he is saying” or variations of that assessment.

That's pretty much for me. I don't know if it's something you develop an ear for after listening for a while or if you simply just need to have the ear for it. It's unfortunate because the way my team lead describes what they're singing about sounds so interesting (usually about Norse mythology).

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

That's pretty much for me. I don't know if it's something you develop an ear for after listening for a while or if you simply just need to have the ear for it. It's unfortunate because the way my team lead describes what they're singing about sounds so interesting (usually about Norse mythology).

There are many mythical themes in metal going way back.

even amongst the various vocal styles fans will pick and chose.  I think it’s reasonable to suggest that the ear for the style is or can be developed.  I fully understand why it’s hard for the casual listener dabbling in metal to find it hard to listen too.  This is why I think nu-metal/rap metal became so popular in the early 2000’s and remains so to date.  These bands typically have a mix of clean sounding vocals and the metal yell/scream throughout their songs making the metal genre approachable.

Edited by riffraff
  • Cheers 1