Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Report] Hurricanes sign GM Don Waddell to contract extension

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I guess fleecing TO of its first round pick was an achievement worthy of an extension.

• Upvote 1

I guess all the chatter around the Wild being interested in him finally scared them into giving him a real contract lol

I like Waddell as GM he has made several good trades in his GM career...

On 8/12/2019 at 10:49 PM, BananaMash said:

I guess all the chatter around the Wild being interested in him finally scared them into giving him a real contract lol

Waddell interviewed with the Wild - Dundon actually encouraged him.   The NHL by-laws apparently demand that each team have a GM officially under contract by the end of August. 

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article233585707.html

Waddell: “Tom doesn’t believe in a lot of contracts,” he said. “Tom’s told me I have a job for life. But he’s also encouraged me to explore other opportunities to see what the market will pay. We started something here, I love it here, but when the job opened up and Tom said you should explore it, that’s what I’m doing.

“I’m not going to pay what other guys pay GMs, so me having a contract with a GM doesn’t really help me,” Dundon said. “Don in essence has a contract. I already told Don, ‘I’m not going to fire you. If I did, I’d tell you a year in advance.’ My life’s pretty good. I want people to do what’s best for their life. If this is what’s best for Don, the Hurricanes will be fine.”

9 hours ago, mll said:

Waddell interviewed with the Wild - Dundon actually encouraged him.   The NHL by-laws apparently demand that each team have a GM officially under contract by the end of August. 

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article233585707.html

Waddell: “Tom doesn’t believe in a lot of contracts,” he said. “Tom’s told me I have a job for life. But he’s also encouraged me to explore other opportunities to see what the market will pay. We started something here, I love it here, but when the job opened up and Tom said you should explore it, that’s what I’m doing.

“I’m not going to pay what other guys pay GMs, so me having a contract with a GM doesn’t really help me,” Dundon said. “Don in essence has a contract. I already told Don, ‘I’m not going to fire you. If I did, I’d tell you a year in advance.’ My life’s pretty good. I want people to do what’s best for their life. If this is what’s best for Don, the Hurricanes will be fine.”

Tom Dundon sounds like a pretty good owner to work for.