The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ristolainen Not Happy in Buffalo.

Rate this topic

18 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Oddly enough, I feel like Edler would be a very good partner for a guy like Risto (think Ehrhoff and how he performed here despite being atrocious with his +/-). Edler would have to redefine his game a bit to be more of a defensive dman, but with the speed of the game, he might just have to do so anyway to extend his career.

It would leave Myers with Hughes in which I'm not a huge fan of, but maybe it works if Myers also shifts his game to a more defensive minded focus. Benn and Stecher would be a very stable pairing though.

In a structure like Buffalo has had the last few years, I can see why someone like Risto would be exposed. I can see the Canucks shifting towards playing the 5 man unit supporting both ends. Risto will still have his errors, but I don't think it'll be as glaring here. We really need that offensive support for our defense as we don't have the highest powered offense that some teams do have.

I've been saying all along that the best partner for Risto on the Canucks is Edler.  It's a pointless discussion though.  Myers' contract and Lu's cap recapture ate up any funds that would have been available to sign him and I don't see the Sabres eating half his salary unless the return is heavily lopsided in their favour.

Edited by SabreFan1
For some reason I typed Loui instead of Lu

Speaking of Eriksson, I know the longer this drags out for Buffalo, the price should drop. They have Risto, Bogosian, Montour and Miller as RD. Either someone sits or someone plays on LD (bumping out either McCabe I presume as Scandella and Dahlin would be locks I imagine). They also have Jokiharju (who can play LD despite being a righty), but he can simmer in the AHL until this sorts itself out. Now Risto has come out saying he is unhappy. We know Eriksson isn't exactly happy either. Both could use a change in scenery and it would be a deal across conferences. Now because of age, of course there would need to be a significant add on our end. It just seems like there is something that could work around this (unless LE blocks this move as well, in which case welcome to the AHL).

Buffalo IMO could use players that are at least defensively responsible and perhaps he could help with that along with their young offensive forwards. I think they could use a bit more grit in their forward group, so perhaps a McEwen (or a prospect like Lockwood/Gadjovich/Lind) plus a 2nd and 3rd could get them thinking about it. The picks are hopefully replenished in a deal moving Tanev that we would need to make to make room on defense for.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Speaking of Eriksson, I know the longer this drags out for Buffalo, the price should drop. They have Risto, Bogosian, Montour and Miller as RD. Either someone sits or someone plays on LD (bumping out either McCabe I presume as Scandella and Dahlin would be locks I imagine). They also have Jokiharju (who can play LD despite being a righty), but he can simmer in the AHL until this sorts itself out. Now Risto has come out saying he is unhappy. We know Eriksson isn't exactly happy either. Both could use a change in scenery and it would be a deal across conferences. Now because of age, of course there would need to be a significant add on our end. It just seems like there is something that could work around this (unless LE blocks this move as well, in which case welcome to the AHL).

Buffalo IMO could use players that are at least defensively responsible and perhaps he could help with that along with their young offensive forwards. I think they could use a bit more grit in their forward group, so perhaps a McEwen (or a prospect like Lockwood/Gadjovich/Lind) plus a 2nd and 3rd could get them thinking about it. The picks are hopefully replenished in a deal moving Tanev that we would need to make to make room on defense for.

The Sabres bumped up their defence with actual defensive players.  Now they need a decent goalie to hold down the fort until Luukkonen is ready to come into the NHL in a couple of years.

Loui would be a non-starter.  A change of scenery won't do squat for him.  The Canucks are stuck with Loui until that contract runs it's course just like the Sabres are stuck with Okposo.

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Well I'm not moving OJ otherwise. That's the point.

Which is one of the reasons why the Canucks aren't realistic trading partners to get Ristolainen.  The price is likely too high to afford for the return he offers.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I've been saying all along that the best partner for Risto on the Canucks is Edler.  It's a pointless discussion though.  Myers' contract and Lu's cap recapture ate up any funds that would have been available to sign him and I don't see the Sabres eating half his salary unless the return is heavily lopsided in their favour.

In any theoretical BUF-VAN trade, we'd be sending cap back. And Risto's under contract for 3 more seasons. The cap wouldn't be an issue.

Again, not that BUF can't and likely won't do better (something like Ehlers for Risto +/-) but if VAN were to send something like Sutter + Virtanen and a '+', the cap would largely be a wash.

Again, I doubt that happens and again BUF can likely do 'better' with a single, higher value player in return (though perhaps not, as BUF is lacking much leverage) but the cap is certainly not remotely the stumbling block here.

12 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Which is one of the reasons why the Canucks aren't realistic trading partners to get Ristolainen.  The price is likely too high to afford for the return he offers.

We will see what the price will be. I can't see Buffalo hanging onto him until the trade deadline simply because of playing time and they don't need someone that doesn't want to be there affecting them all season. Can Buffalo afford another poor year with a distraction? I guess it depends on how much Risto wants out, but now that he's made his stance publicly, it probably won't bode well to hang onto him simply to try and squeeze out more value if possible.

21 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The Sabres bumped up their defence with actual defensive players.  Now they need a decent goalie to hold down the fort until Luukkonen is ready to come into the NHL in a couple of years.

Loui would be a non-starter.  A change of scenery won't do squat for him.  The Canucks are stuck with Loui until that contract runs it's course just like the Sabres are stuck with Okposo.

It's certainly wishful thinking (a pipe dream) to move out LE for a Ristolainen type deal. But Miller and Montour are actual defensive players? Maybe marginally better in comparison to Risto, but those guys were not played in the same role as Risto did. Johannson isn't exactly a defensive add either, but better than Skinner I suppose.

14 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

6’4, 215 lbs right shot defenceman who put up 43 points last year. Oh... and he’s only 24.  People can point out his defensive deficiencies all day long... there’s at the very least one GM out there who’s gonna be willing to go the bank on a player like that. 

your probably right doesn't mean we don't try and land him, we have a few young prospect and could add a pick along with what it is they need which is #2 or 3# center(Sutter)

Have to think the east will be out of it and that leaves the west so there's always a chance

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Those pairings :sick:

Lefty and a Righty!

Edler Ristolainen 

Hughes Myers 

Benn Stecher

Fantenberg Biega

Tanev, Goldy & Tryamkin"s rights for Ristolainen

Sorry I agree with your pairings as well, they won't want Tanev but we can loose him somewhere else replace him with Sutter because they have a need for #2 and #3 center right now

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

your probably right doesn't mean we don't try and land him, we have a few young prospect and could add a pick along with what it is they need which is #2 or 3# center(Sutter)

Have to think the east will be out of it and that leaves the west so there's always a chance

Would it be a dumb move on our part to trade Gaudette straight up for Risto?  The dollar difference might mean we add a contract (Schaller) to balance the cap costs better, but I’m wondering if that would be fair.

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would it be a dumb move on our part to trade Gaudette straight up for Risto?  The dollar difference might mean we add a contract (Schaller) to balance the cap costs better, but I’m wondering if that would be fair.

No brainer for me. But we would need to sort out the cap, so there would need to be a plan in place for this. Don't think Schaller is enough cap off the books to make it work, although I imagine Tanev would be moved if we acquired Risto, but I also don't think we will be getting the full cap off the books for Tanev either.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

No brainer for me. But we would need to sort out the cap, so there would need to be a plan in place for this. Don't think Schaller is enough cap off the books to make it work, although I imagine Tanev would be moved if we acquired Risto, but I also don't think we will be getting the full cap off the books for Tanev either.

Gaudette + Tanev (we retain the amount of salary on him to balance the cap) for Risto? 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Gaudette + Tanev (we retain the amount of salary on him to balance the cap) for Risto? 

They don't want another RD back. Risto's cap is 5.4 million, so the cap in that proposal would already basically balance out, but not the deal I think Buffalo is looking for.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sutter + rights to tryamkin,Goldy.....Loose Tanev somewhere else

Edited by Sbriggs