The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Great expectations can lead to bitter disappointment

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

Is the Canucks 50th season a failure if they don't qualify for the playoffs?  

156 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Okay, so a majority of fans are seemingly all aboard the hype train this season with our new roster in place, and I am happy to say that I'm one of them. After so long since the last time we've been able to celebrate a playoff win (or even made an appearance whatsoever), it's hard not to be excited with the very real possibility that we may be back in the post-season this year.

Is there a possibility that we are a little TOO excited though, and that we could be setting ourselves up for a massive letdown?

Of course there are not many that are saying we are a LOCK for the playoffs, but as I mentioned, the hype train is going full steam and many of us are envisioning our 50th season being a very special one. However, if the Canucks DO fall short and don't manage to make it into the playoffs this year, how disappointed would everyone be? Is the season considered a failure? Do we consider making more big moves next offseason?

Is it truly playoffs or bust? Especially for Coach Green and Mr. Benning? Or do you maybe give them two years from today before their fates with the organization are decided?

1991f0aaa7b00e63fcfd02485f069080e2604b47

• Upvote 3

I expect our team to be competitive night in night out. We should have some better secondary scoring and a better PP. Our D may be better, but I don't have huge expectations for Myers, I hope he and Edler can live up to the 6m price tag and NMC they come with.

Let's hope for another season of solid goaltending. Its not playoffs or bust for me. But JB job has got to be on the line

• Upvote 1

Trying to trick us with that last question eh there bud? :P 

I don't think anyone's happy with not making the playoffs, but seeing effort and compete every night from a young group on the come-up will compensate for that. I don't see either TG or JB in any trouble, unless we turn into the second coming of Ottawa... And the 'C' on Tryamkin... nope. I think it's pretty clear who our captain is.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

They're now set up for success, and with a few other Pacific teams losing players, if the Canucks don't get a playoff spot I will be disappointed. But, saying that, it wouldn't hurt for the Canucks to get another Top 10-15 pick at the 2020 Draft either. I'm excited for this season to get going though. It's going to be fast and furious, physical, and they'll out-battle most teams with a pack mentality. They used to be sort of soft and slow, but now it's the opposite. With all of the positive changes and players added, it's difficult for me not to get excited about them having a good year and getting into the playoffs. If they don't get in this year, then I'll look forward to the 1st rounder in June. 

• Upvote 4

Been a 'Nucks fan since mid '70s. Basically 'cuz of "Suitcase" Smith. What a great personality he was!

I'm definitely what I would describe as a 'hopeful' fan. I try to watch every game on TV. Even if I PVR it to watch later and my workmates leak out the final result. Yeah. I'm pathetic. I'll still watch it. 

But really, I'm more realistic. Our acquisitions of late and drafting gives cause to be hopeful. Management and cap issues aside, there's a good chance to make the playoffs this coming season. Haha! Here's hoping! (:

• Upvote 3

Always hoping for the Best for the Nucks but if too many injuries to key players happens again this year . Well than it is supposed to be one of the best ever draft years . Oh wouldn't it be nice to be still cheering for them at the end of April again !

Well, I'm not afraid of being disappointed. So I don't alter my behavior, opinions, ideas, viewpoints, etc, out of a fear of (or resistance to) being disappointed. 

It's a hard question to really answer accurately because everyone associates/handles disappointment in different ways. Not doing something out of fear of being "let down" isn't the best reasoning. 

Now, in this case, though, expectations are a good thing. They raise standards and accountability. And there's real, legitimate reason for excitement and an abundance of excitement if one wants to get really, really excited ... like Pointer Sisters, lose control and I think I like it excitement. 

I'm more in the camp of ... the more fans who are excited, the better atmosphere and transferable positive energy to the team on the ice. They feel it and feed off of it. 

With the additions of Ferland, Miller, Myers, Benn, Fantenberg ... plus Hughes ... the organization is committed to getting into the playoffs to start the win now era. That's the message they're sending. 

It's time to **** or get off the pot. Playoffs or bust! And if we don't make the playoffs, find the problems and keep correcting. Turn disappointment and negativity into solution finding, forward movement, and continued improvement.

If Green is given the players to win with, or take the next step, and we fall short, of course he needs to be in the hot seat. 

We can't waste any time of the careers of Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, and the new era, and from this season onward playoffs should be expected as long as the organization continues to improve the club.

Let's get it done!!! Go time! 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Upvote 1

I'm playoff hopeful, significant improvement 'expectant'.

We have a team that, on paper, should probably be competing for a wildcard spot, PERHAPS (if someone else in the division falters) that third divisional spot. Most likely the bottom two wildcard spots though.

If we swing and miss the playoffs by a point or three, I'd still be satisfied. Disappointed, but satisfied. Meaningful progress made on the season, more lessons learned by the young guys for next season when I would expect playoffs.

That's my 'reality' take. If everybody gets injured, we're screwed. But if not, we should be in playoff contention at the very least.

And if we get in, and the goaltending holds, I think we could make a bit of damage... Benning is right, just make the playoffs. Anything can happen.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NexusRift said:

Been a 'Nucks fan since mid '70s. Basically 'cuz of "Suitcase" Smith. What a great personality he was!

I'm definitely what I would describe as a 'hopeful' fan. I try to watch every game on TV. Even if I PVR it to watch later and my workmates leak out the final result. Yeah. I'm pathetic. I'll still watch it. 

But really, I'm more realistic. Our acquisitions of late and drafting gives cause to be hopeful. Management and cap issues aside, there's a good chance to make the playoffs this coming season. Haha! Here's hoping! (:

What a great personality and character he was!!  :)

The team will compete for a playoff spot ...  imho we are a few years away from competing for the cup

Even the oilers with Gretzky messier Kurri and Coffey didn’t do anything for the first 4 years... (not all do them were together for first few).

what makes u think this team can suddenly get there?  Remember how long it took the Sedin team to really compete?  How many lessons?   Those have to be learned again by this new group, who will learn how to win together over the next few years.   Years.  Y e a r s 

Edited by canucksnihilist
  • Haha 1

I just want to see consistent hard work, which will end up being entertaining in its process.

Effort should result in playoffs in the end, but I really do think that looking all of the way towards the end of the season is a flawed way.

One game at a time may sound cliche, but its actually the best way that I have found to enjoy this team.

If you want to talk predictions, I feel that something very has already taken root on this team. 2009ish vibes, for sure.

If we miss this year , we better make it next , or that deal for miller could  look neely bad ..    Praying we surprise people and dont have to worry about it this year !!! 

Cant take the stress of 2 years from now if we dont ..  I honestly wonder how the team would fait under that kind of fan pressure ?