The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Great expectations can lead to bitter disappointment

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

Is the Canucks 50th season a failure if they don't qualify for the playoffs?  

156 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We have two years before Petey eats up an extra 10 million in cap... 

The window is open now... Management and ownership know this. That's why we traded away our first. 

Cup or bust next 2 seasons with Petey on ELC. 

Just need one goalie to become a star.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

The team will compete for a playoff spot ...  imho we are a few years away from competing for the cup

Even the oilers with Gretzky messier Kurri and Coffey didn’t do anything for the first 4 years... (not all do them were together for first few).

what makes u think this team can suddenly get there?  Remember how long it took the Sedin team to really compete?  How many lessons?   Those have to be learned again by this new group, who will learn how to win together over the next few years.   Years.  Y e a r s 

Las Vegas says, "Hi!"

Also, remember how long it took the Sedins to break out, and how long it's taken our new core to break out; and how much depth, size, and skill, and hardworking compete we have now?

3 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

I expect our team to be competitive night in night out. We should have some better secondary scoring and a better PP. Our D may be better, but I don't have huge expectations for Myers, I hope he and Edler can live up to the 6m price tag and NMC they come with.

Let's hope for another season of solid goaltending. Its not playoffs or bust for me. But JB job has got to be on the line

Edler, Myers and Tanev healthy will benefit the team immensley!

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Las Vegas says, "Hi!"

Also, remember how long it took the Sedins to break out, and how long it's taken our new core to break out; and how much depth, size, and skill, and hardworking compete we have now?

Sure u never know....  but chances are it will be a tight year.  Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see the team dominate - but realistically it won’t happen yet

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Las Vegas says, "Hi!"

it took the sedins 5 years to hit 70 points   it took petey one year to almost hit the 70 point mark

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

Okay, so a majority of fans are seemingly all aboard the hype train this season with our new roster in place, and I am happy to say that I'm one of them.

joined one of us GIF

Edited by JRSJ
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Hope for playoffs, expect us to contend for a playoffs position to the end. 

If we do so I think JBs TG jobs are safe, however if we fail badly or fold halfway through the season, I think, despite being a big fan of Bennings, questions will be asked about our management and coaching team. 

JB is accelerating the train now, which his summer dealings suggests, and like all other he lives and dies by his sword, and rightly so. 

Now is the time to start the push anyway. Hopefully OJ and Woo will start their push over the next two years together with Polz, maybe Trym as well as a fair few prospects hopefully ready to push for a place in the line up, now is the time to start the push. 

Play this right and we could have a good team for the next 6-8 years at least. 

As always hoping for the best for next season. Bring it on....

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

They're now set up for success, and with a few other Pacific teams losing players, if the Canucks don't get a playoff spot I will be disappointed. But, saying that, it wouldn't hurt for the Canucks to get another Top 10-15 pick at the 2020 Draft either. I'm excited for this season to get going though. It's going to be fast and furious, physical, and they'll out-battle most teams with a pack mentality. They used to be sort of soft and slow, but now it's the opposite. With all of the positive changes and players added, it's difficult for me not to get excited about them having a good year and getting into the playoffs. If they don't get in this year, then I'll look forward to the 1st rounder in June. 

The opposite of soft is hard, and the opposite of slow is fast. So you're saying now the team is hard and fast? :emot-parrot:

7 hours ago, Winter Soldier said:

Expecting to be disappointed is a sad way to live your life.

Yes well, as a Canucks fan, I'm used to it. I've developed adequate coping mechanisms to deal with the massive weight of life on my shoulders though, so no need to worry, I'll be just fine :D

• Upvote 1

I’d be happy for another bitter disappointment, I’d say we are about due for another game seven loss.   Ha ha.   If your bitter over missing the playoffs then you haven’t followed this club long enough - like 67 said somewhere above then at least we will get another lottery pick ... now a mild disappointment maybe that would be annoying depending on how the season goes there could be a few of those....

I actually think we have better odds of making the playoffs then not with this lineup, but it’s certainly not a foregone conclusion.   I do want them too though as whatever experience the team gets with post season will be important for later.   Also think we will win some games, possibly even a series or two when we do make it.  If I had to bet I bet we make them.   

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

They're now set up for success, and with a few other Pacific teams losing players, if the Canucks don't get a playoff spot I will be disappointed. But, saying that, it wouldn't hurt for the Canucks to get another Top 10-15 pick at the 2020 Draft either. I'm excited for this season to get going though. It's going to be fast and furious, physical, and they'll out-battle most teams with a pack mentality. They used to be sort of soft and slow, but now it's the opposite. With all of the positive changes and players added, it's difficult for me not to get excited about them having a good year and getting into the playoffs. If they don't get in this year, then I'll look forward to the 1st rounder in June. 

Love this...there is a silver lining in not making it so at least it's a consolation prize.  Good point.

Here's the thing: If we can't make the playoffs with the recent changes, when WILL we be able to make dramatic improvements?  Much of our team will be either signed long term or are players we can't give up like Petey and Hughes. 

Yes, there will be a bit of cap becoming available year after year when contracts expire, but at best we get minor improvements there with the price of UFAs being so damn high.

Progression of our young guys?  Of course they will continue to develop but not enough to make us move from a non-playoff team to a strong playoff team.

The draft?  Well, we assuming we don't make the playoffs, we better make our 1st count because we don't get one the following year. Besides that, drafted players don't often make an impact for at least a couple of years.

Current prospects?  Maybe, but we already have a decent supporting cast so low end players ain't gonna cut it. I don't see many high end prospects in the pipeline with the possible exception of Podkolzin or maybe Hogs.

Benning swung for the fences this offseason, and I believe ownership expects results. I do believe without dramatic improvement, his job will indeed be in jeopardy.

With all this said, I am not really concerned.  I think we are going to see a MUCH better on-ice product this season.

Great expectations can lead to bitter disappointment....thought this was a thread about my dating life...

I feel the Canucks will miss the playoffs by 2-6 points (sticking to my thought that I first mentioned prior to last season)

It should be enough for TG to keep the coaching gig -not sure if that keeps JB around or not. (I would give him more time, not sure FA is as patient)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1