The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Great expectations can lead to bitter disappointment

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

Is the Canucks 50th season a failure if they don't qualify for the playoffs?  

156 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The year will come down to defense and goaltending.  Do we have a number one? We will see. Is our defense better, maybe?  Will we see a ton of injuries? 

Are we playoff bound? That would be quite a jump. 

Hard to answer in poll format.  

JB and Green could be on the hot seat if the team completely flops... but it’s not a “playoffs or bust” kind of situation IMO.

There’s a reason the Miller deal has a deferral - even JB knows we’re hardly a lock.  The roster has changed drastically since the Sedin’s retirement so I think some leeway is in order as Green figures out what he’s got.  

There’s still a lot of room for improvement while still not making the playoffs.  

• Upvote 3

The goal is to make the playoffs.

Expectations though - are for those that don't realize that they are not from the future.   

I 'expect' them to work hard today.  And I'll expect the same tomorrow.

But:  'Man makes plans and God just laughs.'

I'll take their outcomes as they come, in context - and assess them on that basis.

• Upvote 2

We are more talented than we were 12 months ago.  It’s now up to the players and coaches to make the most of it.  Winning is a habit and you see teams like Edmonton, buffalo even Carolina struggle for years to get over the hump and become playoff teams.  We’ve injected a large number of veterans the last 2 off seasons that came from playoff teams and they will help support the younger players and set the tone for the level that needs to be maintained.  

• Upvote 2

I'm under the impression aquaman wants this team to make the playoffs this year. I think Benning has a shorter leash, and I could see a Ron Francis situation where the team JB drafted goes to a new GM, and that team doing well next year if Canucks don't make the playoffs this season. I'm not sure about Green I think this is his make or break year, if the team is in the basement around November/December I could see Benning trying to save his own job and getting a new coach. 

Of course this is all speculation but I know that the aquamen want the playoffs sooner rather than later. 

23 hours ago, rychicken said:

It should be enough for TG to keep the coaching gig -not sure if that keeps JB around or not. (I would give him more time, not sure FA is as patient)

I don’t see TG getting fired...at least by JB.  Rarely do GMs get to fire their own hand picked head coach in the NHL more than once (at least not with at least some tangible good results in the regular season/postseason).  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

I don’t think these questions are as black and white as the poll (except the last one). I think management and ownership are shooting for playoffs and will not be happy with less. I think JB has two years to make the playoffs and preferably make a decent run before he is fired. I think Green could be a sacrificial lamb if the team underperforms this season. May not deserve it, but that’s how I see it. If they really bomb, and the new acquisitions don’t help JB could be in trouble too. Tryamkin will never be a Canucks captain. Mark that down and I’ll happily eat a bunch of crow if I’m wrong. 

Its tougher than I would  think in answering the first question.  We have gotten conditioned now to accept our position at the bottom of the league, and that playoffs are some kind of luxury, and simply seeing improvements on the team is great.  But this season is different. I think we have to make the playoffs or JB is gone. The cap is topped up, and we've spent a #1 pick for it.   I see the case for keeping him around still even we miss again, but unless it is because of massive injury troubles, the Aquilini's and a lot of fans won't want him back.  Green still will have some rope left.

The Tram will be back in all his glasnost glory.   "No Utica...and I be captain! Be best!"

abcf054e93b7e9b8f44115077089e035.jpg

• Haha 1

On 8/14/2019 at 10:53 AM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I don’t see TG getting fired...at least by JB.  Rarely do GMs get to fire their own hand picked head coach in the NHL more than once (at least not with at least some tangible good results in the regular season/postseason).  

It's interesting. Did Benning hire Willie or was it TL who pushed that to happen? Linden was all about the Medicine Hat connection at the time.  I think that Aq has shown his support for JB with the extension and he also jettisoned TL. So in this case I think JB has room to change his coach if he feels he needs to in the next couple years. 

• Cheers 1

I believe excitement, whether over hyped or not, is a great thing.

Although I'm excited for every season to start, this season comes with a bit of expectation due to the big additions.

JB has addressed every major flaw our team had and has brought balance to our team.

We now have a great balance of offence, defence, physicality and depth.

We also have a great mix of youth, veteran leadership, and those just entering their prime.

TG has so many different looks he can put together, with all potentially having great success.

Ferland, Petey, Boeser

Miller, Petey, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Ferland

Baer, Petey, Boeser

Baer, Horvat, Boeser

Ferland, Petey, Miller

Ferland, Horvat, Miller

These are just a few. The list of combinations is impressive and all look good.

We have a lot of players who are prone to injury. JB has provided enough depth, imo, to compensate for this.

While the possibility still exists that they miss the postseason again, I don't believe they will.

This team now has the pieces to remain competitive through the full 82 games.

I believe we make the playoffs.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I can see it going all one way or all the other.  I just have a feeling it could go very badly, especially if injuries pile up....again. Or we will surprise a lot of pundits and easily make the playoffs.

It all comes down to (injuries aside) that oft scoffed at thing called "chemistry".  We have a new influx of FA, adding to our last years crop of FA. We are witnessing with the BC Lions just how bad you can be with a lot of changes in the roster.  That it takes time for players to gel as a team. Now sometimes they do very quickly, sometimes it takes more time for new D pairing to know each other for instance. And then how soon they adapt to coach Green's system.  But if the team chemistry attains that equilibrium solubility - if new D pairings and line combinations click quickly together so Green doesn't have to immediately start juggling, we could have a very good year.

Edited by kilgore

They’re no reason if Canucks stay healthy and don’t wear themselves out before the end of the season that they can’t have an undefeated season. Maybe one or two games with bad puck luck or bad reffing could happen and they lose one or two games if that this season. Those one or two game loses I’m not going to cry or whine, i will be a little disappointed tho but I’ll quickly move on from it. Realistically the playoffs I don’t see any loses happening, it’ll be a steamroll to the Cup. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HockeyHarry said:

They’re no reason if Canucks stay healthy and don’t wear themselves out before the end of the season that they can’t have an undefeated season. Maybe one or two games with bad puck luck or bad reffing could happen and they lose one or two games if that this season. Those one or two game loses I’m not going to cry or whine, i will be a little disappointed tho but I’ll quickly move on from it. Realistically the playoffs I don’t see any loses happening, it’ll be a steamroll to the Cup. 

Nice

I don't think either will be fired regardless of the result this year.

Benning won't be fired 1 year into an extension and I don't think Green is expected to make the playoffs or get out of town.

2020-2021 with the pick on the line is when people get fired.