The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

canuck fan’s nationalities?

smithers joe

German-Austrian-Swiss Mennonites lived in Prussia/Ukraine for a couple hundred years before fleeing persecution and settling in Canada.

Apparently my Grandfathers older brother actually watched the Bolsheviks torture and murder my great-grandfather before they escaped.

Pretty nice of them to hand me this cushy sweet Canadian life.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, nzan said:

German-Austrian-Swiss Mennonites lived in Prussia/Ukraine for a couple hundred years before fleeing persecution and settling in Canada.

Apparently my Grandfathers older brother actually watched the Bolsheviks torture and murder my great-grandfather before they escaped.

Pretty nice of them to hand me this cushy sweet Canadian life.

i know a lady in keromeos who is 80 now, same as me, her grandparent were persecuted in russia and came to canada with grandparents of joseph verigan. she was orthidox not doukabour. she gave me a history lesson on those migrations. interesting stuff. 

Edited by smithers joe
  • Like 1

3 quarters italian. My mom's side is from the Northeast part, near venice. My dad's mom has heritage in the Abruzzo region (East of rome). My dad's other half is mostly danish, with a sprinkle of welsh. My last name is danish which is weird because I am a dual citizen between canada and italy. I identify more with that part of my heritage from a cultural standpoint (food, sports, i speak a little italian too)

• Upvote 1

many of my ancestors in canada were involved in the early fur trade, they married native women, thus gave birth to a new nation, the metis. as these ancestors took native wives from all over ruperts land, i ended up with several native back grounds.  cree, sauteaux, ojibwa, inuit, blackfoot, kootenai, blood and sioux.

the king of france wanted those who were settlers to have wives. he took girls from orphanages and sent them to canada to marry. they were called the king’s daughters.

history is one of my favourite subjects.