Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Signing] Blackhawks sign Philip Holm

Recommended Posts

He had decent numbers in the KHL last season. And looking him up on hockeydb, I forgot that he did get into 1 game with the Canucks the half year he was with us. Kind of surprised he got another NHL deal. He'll probably end up in Rockford for most of next season. But it's not a bad depth signing. Hope he gets another NHL shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Quantum said:

He had decent numbers in the KHL last season. And looking him up on hockeydb, I forgot that he did get into 1 game with the Canucks the half year he was with us. Kind of surprised he got another NHL deal. He'll probably end up in Rockford for most of next season. But it's not a bad depth signing. Hope he gets another NHL shot.

Wasn't he traded the day after that game?

 

Edit: It was 13 days later. Played on Feb. 13 and traded on Feb. 26th

Edited by Where's Wellwood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Wasn't he traded the day after that game?

Show me game.

 

Good on Holm for giving it another crack. Doubt he makes it, but nice to see him keep the dream alive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a Rockford signing. Never hurts to have a few fellow Swedes around to keep Boqvist comfortable if he doesn't make the big club out of camp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Wasn't he traded the day after that game?

 

Edit: It was 13 days later. Played on Feb. 13 and traded on Feb. 26th

It was actually February 23rd that he played against Vegas.

https://www.google.com/search?q=february+23%2C+2018+nhl+results&rlz=1C1EJFA_enCA733CA748&oq=february+23%2C+2018+nhl+results&aqs=chrome..69i57.18096j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#sie=m;/g/11f53tmtrg;7;/m/05gwr;dt;fp;1;;

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In before the asset management comments. :)  Good for Holm  tho, he was a solid. if unspectacular, guy in Utica, and is the kind of guy a team takes a flyer on.  It is nice to see him continue to chase the dream, and you never know what kind of opportunity you can get just by being in the right place at the right time.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahh the legend of Holm. Seems like a good guy so hopefully he gets another crack at the NHL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

where's all the angry "asset management" guys today? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Solinar said:

In before the asset management comments. :)  Good for Holm  tho, he was a solid. if unspectacular, guy in Utica, and is the kind of guy a team takes a flyer on.  It is nice to see him continue to chase the dream, and you never know what kind of opportunity you can get just by being in the right place at the right time.

Something that's always thrown me off was I thought he was like a 21 year old guy when we signed him. He was I believe 25 then and turns 28 this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Something that's always thrown me off was I thought he was like a 21 year old guy when we signed him. He was I believe 25 then and turns 28 this year.

Biega is kind of a late bloomer, but sometimes those are the guys who are good role players, that can take the time sitting on the bench, step it up in practice, and provide mentorship and examples to those coming up.  Everyone has a role, even those who don't have people buying their jerseys or screaming their name.   

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

I think that the Hawks are approaching the downward swing that the Canucks tumbled down 4-5 years ago 

Bettman will assure them a quick recovery, he proved it in one lottery already!

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Solinar said:

Biega is kind of a late bloomer, but sometimes those are the guys who are good role players, that can take the time sitting on the bench, step it up in practice, and provide mentorship and examples to those coming up.  Everyone has a role, even those who don't have people buying their jerseys or screaming their name.   

I'm not saying he's useless. I just always thought he was younger than he was. I thought we were giving up too early on some young guy with potential only to realize he was older and likely closer to what you see is what you get type potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holm was always a gamble, most players are. Good on him catching on somewhere though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'm not saying he's useless. I just always thought he was younger than he was. I thought we were giving up too early on some young guy with potential only to realize he was older and likely closer to what you see is what you get type potential.

  Speaking more as to the reasoning of signing him.  Plus, he can probably clear waivers a lot easier than some.  I personally liked the way Holm played, but I can't argue the reasoning behind trading him to take a flyer on Leipsic, either.  All of these guys, at this point are gambles, and sometimes it is just to see what they'll do in your system.  Kind of like free lottery tickets with limited payouts.

  I hope that in the next cba that they up the max amount of contracts a team can carry to 60 or 65.  Would help in development of players, especially farm teams.  Will also be interesting to see if they raise the Draft age to 19.  Next few years could see some interesting developments,....maybe.

  Also raising the amount of contracts you can carry will also give a team the ability to carry older players, if they couple it with a change in the way you can insert veterans into the line-up.  It is a shame, the way it is now, that some get pushed out just when they are realising that tweener ability to tread between the farm and the lineup in limited roles.

Edited by Solinar
addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

where's all the angry "asset management" guys today? 

We got some decent games out of Leipsic, likely more games than Holm will play in the NHL over his whole career.  We did well.  This is strictly an AHL signing for the Hawks.

40 minutes ago, Solinar said:

 

  Also raising the amount of contracts you can carry will also give a team the ability to carry older players, if they couple it with a change in the way you can insert veterans into the line-up.  It is a shame, the way it is now, that some get pushed out just when they are realising that tweener ability to tread between the farm and the lineup in limited roles.

Expansion should help with that a bit.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought that Holm deserved a better shot than he got at the NHL level particularly since he got his first opportunity being deployed in an offensive role and the pp in Utica and was showing well.  He went 11-18-29 -6 in 42 games.  On the Canucks team of the day, he had a shot at being a #5 but when Pouliot surprisingly became available (acquired Oct 3, 2017), they were betting on his development ahead of Holm.

 

Having said that, I wasn't terribly put out when they moved on from him.  He'll be a good add to Rockford and a possible call up.  I wish him luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.